Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:59 am

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces 2016 inductees

While I'm not surprised, my mopey 80's angst-ridden inner teen is disappointed that The Smiths didn't make the cut. This year's inductees are: Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple, Steve Miller and N.W.A.

I was pretty sure Chicago and Deep Purple would get in, despite my general disdain for Chicago's 1980's music characterized best as sappy poser-ism (check out the punk rock kids and Cetera's Bauhaus t-shirt). But their 1970's music was really, really good and had a unique sound and influence that surely was deserving of the RRHOF honor.

I like a good Cheap Trick song as much as the next guy, but I've always thought of them as one of the world's greatest bar bands, liable to breaking into a snappy cover of "What I Like About You" at any moment. Talented? Yes. Influential? Eh... maybe a little. Trailblazing? Not really (or perhaps not at all). If RRHOF voters needed a great pop act that wrote catchy songs you can still find on a jukebox 30 years later, they had The Cars on their list, but I'm not sure I would have voted for The Cars either.

I'm less surprised by Steve Miller, though I'm not sure I'd label him as trailblazing in any way. He did have a knack for writing catchy songs and had a pretty unique sound and a long, successful career. And as far as influence goes, I knew a lot of kids who were most definitely under the influence while jamming some Steve Miller in college.

N.W.A., of course, isn't actually rock and roll, though I don't begrudge them the honor, mostly because they're as influential and trailblazing as any of the nominees and moreso than any of the inductees, IMO. And they have a glossy new band photo complete with a glitzy Hollywood movie to boot, so their induction doesn't surprise me.

I was hoping for The Smiths and expecting Yes to make it in, though the RRHOF already has Rush, so do they really need Yes? I'm also a bit surprised they didn't select any early acts like The Spinners. Thankfully, Janet Jackson was left on the curb. I'm not sure why she was even considered.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Well I am shocked. It is like they bit the bullet and just used one year to clean up a whole bunch of people that deserved to get in, but they didn't like. Dave Marsh and Jan Wenner probably feel they have lost control over their unholy creation, as it destroys local villages and terrifies Robert Christgau. Or maybe they just got tired of listening to people complain about the same bands over and over.

Surprises for me are Steve Miller, followed by Chicago. They seem to be a bit more based on longevity than influence.

I'm thinking that The Cars, Yes, The Spinners, the Smiths, and Chic get in eventually. Next year has Pearl Jam and 2Pac as possible first ballot inductees, but not much past that, so they may make it fairly soon.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Igor wrote:I'm thinking that The Cars, Yes, The Spinners, the Smiths, and Chic get in eventually. Next year has Pearl Jam and 2Pac as possible first ballot inductees, but not much past that, so they may make it fairly soon.

I'm not very confident that The Smiths will ever get in, but it seems like someone from the post-punk, 1980's British Invasion v2 should get to represent the lot. The Smiths or The Cure are good choices from an influence standpoint, as most of your mopey emo bands to this day owe a lot to those bands, but perhaps a hipper choice of The Banshees or Joy Division will rule the day. Of course, U2 and REM are already in, and perhaps they're thought to represent the genre.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:27 pm

They should beat baseball to the inevitable and install Pete Rose for his 4,256 hits.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:51 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm not very confident that The Smiths will ever get in, but it seems like someone from the post-punk, 1980's British Invasion v2 should get to represent the lot. The Smiths or The Cure are good choices from an influence standpoint, as most of your mopey emo bands to this day owe a lot to those bands, but perhaps a hipper choice of The Banshees or Joy Division will rule the day.

I don't know much of the Smiths, and what I know, I don't like. But I have read enough to know that they were very influential with teens that have first world problems, so that is good enough for me.

The influence thing is one that they regularly get wrong. Purple, Cheap Trick, NWA, and probably Chicago were all more influential than a band like Heart.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:51 pm

doppel wrote:They should beat baseball to the inevitable and install Pete Rose for his 4,256 hits.

The steroid guys and Shoeless Joe need to get in before Rose.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Latest R & R Hall of Fame inductees just announced.

Joan Baez, Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur and Yes.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:41 pm

YES!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:YES!
Yup.

Return to “General Music”