Homeless Sly Stone awarded $5 million

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Homeless Sly Stone awarded $5 million

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:13 pm

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html
Sly Stone is awarded $5 million in lawsuit over unpaid royalties
... Sly Stone was one of funk and soul music's most hopeful figures...
But while Stone's fame endured, his fortune didn't. A few years ago, he was living in a van in South Los Angeles.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/f ... ess-239989
Sly Stone, one of the pioneers of funk music as mastermind for Sly and the Family Stone, is now homeless and living out of a white van in Los Angeles...

Back in the 1960s and '70s, Stone lived in a 5,432-square-foot mansion in Beverly Hills, hosting parties for other music legends including Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Etta James and Miles Davis. He collected automobiles, such as a purple Jaguar XKE, Hummers, a London taxi and a gold Studebaker (Stone asked the NY Post to pay for painting the car in exchange for their interview, a request the Post says it denied).

... financial problems forced him out of the home into cheap hotels, until finally he moved into his white camper in 2009.

“I like my small camper,” Stone told the Post. “I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.” ... A retired couple allows Stone to shower at their house and makes sure he eats, while their son serves as his assistant and driver. He continues to record music on a laptop computer, from inside the walls of his home on wheels.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Homeless Sly Stone awarded $5 million

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Figure Skater Debi Thomas has fallen on hard times. She could use a turn of luck.

Debi Thomas says she’s broke and jobless, living in a bed bug-infested trailer
http://www.inquisitr.com/2551002/former ... d-trailer/

"In the preview for her show, life coach Iyanla brings up Debi’s living situation, and while it may seem like she’s being harsh, she’s straightforward with Thomas and avoids beating around the bush. “This is what I know: You’re living in a trailer in the Appalachian Mountains and your son ain’t with you! You’re raising somebody else’s children! So you can tell me whatever you want to tell me. Telling yourself the truth is important.”

Thomas says she lost two jobs as an orthopedic surgeon due to “personality clashes” before opening up a private practice in Virginia. Debi says the high expectations she held herself to led to arguments with colleagues, causing her to lose those two jobs, the Huffington Post reports. After the divorce from her second husband, she claims she lost much of her “nest egg” and had to close her private practice, which left her in the midst of a financial crisis."

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Homeless Sly Stone awarded $5 million

Postby Huckleby » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Return to “General Music”