Edmund Fitzgerald

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Edmund Fitzgerald

Postby Shorty » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:27 pm

40 years ago this week we lost the Edmund Fitzgerald. Looks like another November storm coming to WI tomorrow.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Edmund Fitzgerald

Postby Roy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 pm

AP WAS THERE: 40 years ago, when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. As was Roy Spencer who often saw the Fitzgerald and the Anderson pass a few hundred yards in front of his house.

The Arthur M. Anderson reported being hit by 35 foot waves but survived.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am

Solidarity Singers version:

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:59 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/obituaries ... 06761.html

Edmund B. Fitzgerald, who led Cutler-Hammer for 15 years and was a key player in bringing major league baseball back to Milwaukee... In a 1970 news story, "young Ed" was identified as one of four men who led the long fight to get another baseball franchise for Milwaukee. One of the other four, Bud Selig, was Brewers president.

... As for the legacy of the shipwreck — it was never far from his mind. The launch of the ship was the happiest day of his father's life, he once said. And the day of the wreck was "probably the worst day of my father's life."

Fitzgerald ran into Lightfoot, the singer, at a dinner hosted by the Canadian prime minister in the 1980s.

"I told him what my name was, and he looked rather surprised," Fitzgerald recalled in 2005, on the 30th anniversary of the wreck. He called the artist's 1976 hit a "fine song."

Return to “General Music”