Back to a more innocent time

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Back to a more innocent time

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:06 am

Summer of '69: Amazing photos capture historic Woodstock festival that defined a generation: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ation.html

http://www.vintag.es/2015/05/girls-of-w ... y-and.html
45 Woodstock Photos That Will Transport You Back To 1969: http://all-that-is-interesting.com/woodstock-photos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... stock.html

13. The Jeff Beck Group, featuring Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood, were booked to play, but they split acrimoniously on the eve of their Woodstock appearance.
14. John Lennon told organisers he had wanted to be a part of Woodstock, but he was in Canada and the U.S. government had refused him an entry visa...
27. Hearing there was a shortage of food, a Jewish community centre made sandwiches with 200 loaves of bread, 40 pounds of meat cuts and two gallons of pickles, which were distributed by nuns...

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Back to a more innocent time

Postby Roy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:20 am

Loss of innocence would be much more descriptive than more innocent.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:40 pm

People were becoming more aware of how the government operates, and the media took notice. This affected the popularity of he Vietnam war, and the war for profit people who own and/or heavily advertise their other products and thus sustaining MSM, so now the media does all it can to not cover protests.

Just one example: Wisconsin had 3 protests in 3 weeks that were larger than the Tea Party's biggest protest, but look at the difference in coverage. The Tea Party, which got it's start from Koch Bruthas funding, was very well covered, so much so that they have their own wing in the GOP now. While "We the People" protests are marginalized and forgotten as msuch as is possible by the corporate media.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Woodstock was the year I graduated from college. I didn't go -- I think I was driving cross country westbound at the time, since all we did back then was drive around -- but a friend who graduated with me was there. He said it was all that and more, basically.

He must have been the only African American in the crowd because I've never seen any pictures that showed anybody who wasn't white except on stage.

Totally different era, I'm glad I lived through it and glad we've moved on.

I've come to wonder whether part of the craziness of those times was because nearly all of us were children of WWII veterans who were, each in his (her) own way, messed up after the intensity of that war and went on to have messed up families and personal lives when they got home.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:He must have been the only African American in the crowd because I've never seen any pictures that showed anybody who wasn't white except on stage.

Not trying to pretend it wasn't mostly a sea of white kids but I gotta assume you've just never really looked that hard.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:22 pm

I was too young to know what was going on with Vietnam, but in retrospect, the late 60s seems like an opening up of American culture that kind of started with that "loud, lucidious crap called Rock-n-Roll!" from the conservative 50s. And then a period of calm after the nova-the 70s, then a slow evolution into a Mad Max kind of culture...

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:32 pm

I am grateful for that era. I got busted for pot in 72. The public defender was a nice guy who walked me through the process, which was a not guilty plea but accepting a one year probation at the end of which our records were actually cleared up. My draft number was 39 that year and the bust put me on 1A-H status with the H apparently standing for Hold. Back then, the army didn't want you if you had problems like that. They wanted to stay pot free. Ha ha.

The draft ended in 73, during my probation. According to every vet I knew who ventured an opinion, that was a very good thing for me.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat May 21, 2016 6:00 pm

80 more if you're bored enough to look...

http://historythings.com/forgotten-wood ... cert-time/

Return to “General Music”