Question for Prof. Wagstaff

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Question for Prof. Wagstaff

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Having a yard sale a week from Friday and plan to sell off all my old vinyl. What would be a fair price to ask (per LP disc)? All have their original album covers and sleeves. Conditions vary.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Question for Prof. Wagstaff

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Personally, I generally won't even look at records at a garage sale if they're priced at more than $1/ea. If you think you have anything actually collectible/worth more than that, I'd suggest a garage sale ain't the place to sell them. That said, it's your sale, you can price them however you see fit. I just think garage sales are places to find new homes for your unwanted crap, not a venue for trying to make real money. If you think they might be actually valuable, I'd recommend you take them to MadCity Music and see if they're interested/willing to pay more. I'd certainly be happy to come take a look at them, but I don't generally pay more than $1/per anyway, unless they are very desirable (and the fact is, most records ain't. Most of the stuff on my site sells in the $1-$4 range.)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks. Don't think many are of high value (I sold a bunch years ago at a resale place). A buck a piece is what I was thinking, so you confirmed my guess. And yes, I'm not trying to make a bunch of money with my sale. Just downsizing (Ms Vilas wants to get rid of the clutter). Goodwill will get what doesn't move.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Thanks. Don't think many are of high value (I sold a bunch years ago at a resale place). A buck a piece is what I was thinking, so you confirmed my guess. And yes, I'm not trying to make a bunch of money with my sale. Just downsizing (Ms Vilas wants to get rid of the clutter). Goodwill will get what doesn't move.

Cool. Would love to come check them out at your sale.
Feel free to shoot me an email -- you can find a link near the top of my webpage -- to give me time and location details.
I promise not to identify myself unless you want me to. :)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:19 pm

Great. I just emailed you. And if you can make the sale, introduce yourself.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I find selling CDs on Amazon works pretty well, at least in sense of finding customers. But you have to sell at low price, and amazon skims off a monopolist's share. I imagine vinyl is pretty hard to sell, or at least the prices seem to reflect that on ebay & amazon.

What I see on ebay is sellers of all products trying to get top dollar. I'm surprised there are customers.

I have loads of CDs to sell (Frank Sinatra stuff from a previous hobby). The cds have value, but it is a lot of work to sell for low return. I'll get right on it ... tomorrow.

Return to “General Music”