The Smiths

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

The Smiths

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:27 pm

So I was checking the news on Google and it mentioned a new Cure album that was apparently just outtakes from their 2008 album, which I've never heard, and decided to see what Robert Smith has been up to over the last decade. I don't own anything past "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me", and in fact own very little music that's been published past 1990, the year I graduated from high school.

Anyway, when you search "The Cure" you're very likely to get a lot of hits to other bands from the era, like Joy Division, The Banshees, Echo and the Bunnymen and The Smiths, a band that captivated me like no other when I was an angst ridden teenager.

I watched a bit of Cure, then watched a few Smiths vids, then watched a documentary that was entirely too fluffy and came across this, a BBC cultural production, which documented the rise and fall of what is in my opinion one of the greatest bands that ever was. Perhaps I'm oozing due to exposure to hyperbolic praise, but the documentary was fascinating and makes me want to travel to Manchester just to stand where Morrissey and Marr once stood. To soak in a moment in musical history that had such an impact on me when I was young and (more) foolish.

Anyway, if you like The Smiths, or you've never even heard of them but are bored and looking for something to watch, consider this:

It's fairly short, a shade under 30 minutes, but worth the watch if you love 80's brit-pop.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Smiths

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 am

FYI, The Smiths have been nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. I hope they receive the honor, but I'm realistic about the chances that they show up and perform a song.

From the AV Club a few years ago, Johnny Marr (guitarist) was asked whether he'd like to see The Smiths inducted:

Uh… [Pause.] Not really, no. I mean, I don’t mean to be ungrateful, and if the opportunity came I would never be ungracious. I hope this doesn’t sound ungracious, but I don’t think awards mean dick. I’m a musician; I’m not in the television business.

That said, they deserve it. The RRHOF is about influence, and whether you love or hate The Smiths, their imprint on music is inarguable. Even if you hate the legion of musicians inspired my Morrissey and Marr, it's hard to ignore the fact that so many great bands like Radiohead, Oasis, The Decembrists, The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie and many others are essentially EAGER to label themselves as knock-offs of The Smiths. For better or for worse, that's what the Hall of Fame is all about. It's not about who sold the most records, it's about who inspired the most future musicians. And from that point of reference, The Smiths are a worthy inductee.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:01 am

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:52 am

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:39 am