New Rock Hall inductees

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Rock Hall inductees

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm

mifflander wrote:The fact Lou Reed wasn't a charter member when it opened shows, to me, what a joke the R'n'R hall of fame is.

No inaugural performing inductee had a recording debut later than about 1957, so it would have been a stretch to induct Lou (and not the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc., much less the Velvet Underground) in that class, with Elvis and Chuck Berry.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Whatever. Founded in 1983 with first group inducted in 1986. By then there were dozens of people/groups deserving of immediate admission. It's just a marketing wing for Rolling Stone Mag. I think they deliberately exclude artists just to try and stir fans up. It's the only way they can get anyone to give a flying fajita about the place.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Man, I love Lou Reed, but, his solo work is not worthy of any legit hall of fame.

VU? Yes. And they're in. And it's great. But Lou Reed doesn't have one front-to-back classic to his name, he has almost no 'hit' records, and his solo stuff has influenced pretty much no one. There is no reason to pretend otherwise.

Gotta agree with y'all on the Paul Butterfield thing; he's terrible, the band is terrible, and Henry Vilas chimed in with a terrible "what about this" to cap it all off. TERRIBLE.

Ringo Starr? NO.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm

rrnate wrote: Gotta agree with y'all on the Paul Butterfield thing; he's terrible, the band is terrible...

So he is terrible because you say so. Others disagree.

You forgot to rip on Mike Bloomfield.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 pm

I don't care who the Butterfield Blues Band influenced but they certainly influenced me, a fifteen year old white kid, when I saw them at SPAC in 1967. The East/West performance alone was enough to make a budding guitar player think twice about what he was hearing on the radio. Bishop and Bloomfield were not Stevie Ray Vaughn clones. These guys were closer to free form jazz than anything I had been exposed to at that point. And then my older brother came home from college with some Coltrane, Rahsan Roland Kirk (sp), Big Brother and the Holding Company and Jefferson Airplane. It was all over for me.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 am

rrnate wrote:Man, I love Lou Reed, but, his solo work is not worthy of any legit hall of fame.

VU? Yes. And they're in. And it's great. But Lou Reed doesn't have one front-to-back classic to his name, he has almost no 'hit' records, and his solo stuff has influenced pretty much no one. There is no reason to pretend otherwise.

Is there a Lou Reed solo release that's essential in the way the classic-era Velvet Underground albums generally are? I remember that periodically, select new Reed LPs were hyped as masterpieces, especially "The Blue Mask" and "New York." But I dunno. Unlike the very best rock 'n' roll releases, both of those have tracks that are filler or are just bad.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Is there a Lou Reed solo release that's essential in the way the classic-era Velvet Underground albums generally are?

Transformer perhaps? Neither Reed solo nor the VU are particular favorites of mine, but I remember a lot of people having that album and I think "Walk on the Wild Side" might be his best known song.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 am

You guys are arguing the merit of Reed even being in when Ricky Nelson was voted in in 1987 in the second year of balloting?

Ok then.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 am

scratch wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Is there a Lou Reed solo release that's essential in the way the classic-era Velvet Underground albums generally are?

Transformer perhaps? Neither Reed solo nor the VU are particular favorites of mine, but I remember a lot of people having that album and I think "Walk on the Wild Side" might be his best known song.

That's definitely the closest, but have you listened to it lately? First half is OK, second half is uber-forgettable. I could maybe string together one mix of really good solo Lou Reed songs, but album-to-album, he was hamstrung by his disinterest in singing and inability to have ideas on his own about how things should sound. It's no coincidence that his best work all comes out of working with strong collaborators. VU - John Cale and then Doug Yule (plus really everyone ever in the band). Transformer = David Bowie and Mick Ronson. Berlin = Bob Ezrin.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
rrnate wrote: Gotta agree with y'all on the Paul Butterfield thing; he's terrible, the band is terrible...

So he is terrible because you say so. Others disagree.

You forgot to rip on Mike Bloomfield.

That is right; he is terrible because I SAY SO. One day, all of you shorts-wearing blues farts will be gone from the earth and my people will gladly finish the denigration and erasure of shit like Paul Butterfield, John Mayall, Eric Clapton, etc.

The Jazz Times are also terrible. So are you Henry Vilas, when it comes to musical opinions.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 am

Haters gonna hate.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Haters gonna hate.

That is right, and, I hate some weak-ass blues terribleness.

Gentle Man
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gentle Man » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 pm

scratch wrote:

And "Perfect Day." For a chuckle, check out the youtube vid of Lou singing Perfect Day live with Luciano Pavarotti. Lou, with his homely voice, has a look of apprehension as he's about to team up vocally with one of the greatest voices.

As for solo work, I do like Transformer and I like the Berlin album. But my favorite is the live Rock n' Roll Animal --- and I like it mostly for the incredible band he put together. The rendition of "Heroin" always gives me a chill, and I love the extended instrumental portion of "Rock and Roll."

I do hope the Moody Blues are inducted while they're alive. I would very much like to see them united one last time to play with Mike Pinder and Ray Thomas.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 pm

rrnate wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Haters gonna hate.

That is right, and, I hate some weak-ass blues terribleness.

Says the guy who used to play cartoon music. :lol:

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:13 pm

rrnate wrote:[Butterfield] is terrible because I SAY SO. One day, all of you shorts-wearing blues farts will be gone from the earth and my people will gladly finish the denigration and erasure of shit like Paul Butterfield, John Mayall, Eric Clapton, etc.
The Jazz Times are also terrible. So are you Henry Vilas, when it comes to musical opinions.

I'd like to thank rnate for ushering us into the tautological phase of the discussion! While I generally agree with him about Mayall and Clapton, I don't agree about Butterfield. But this, too, is just opinion. Most music fans know about the folk purists booing Dylan's early forays into electric music (there's at least one book about it and whether or not the Newport reaction was really as negative as it's sometimes portrayed), but before that there was a good bit of indignation on the part of blues purists when Muddy Waters switched to a more urban, electric form of the blues (probably more properly known as R&B). I was just reading about how the English audiences were a little surprised and chagrined when Muddy and crew arrived in the UK for the first time wearing shiny suits and conked hair. Their English fans apparently expected bib overalls, brogans, and acoustic blues. Tastes change over the years, even for purists.

I think Butterfield belongs in the R&RHoF, but I also think Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, and Lee 'Scratch' Perry belong in it. If Bob Marley's in the R&RHoF, then reggae is a part of rock & roll. No reggae, no dub, no hip-hop. But the R&RHoF isn't about what you and I think, it's about glitz, $$$, and what Jann Wenner thinks.

And if the Moody Blues get in, I won't need to keep coming up with excuses not to accompany Mrs. Scratch to the Hall so that she can pay homage to the Beatles (and especially Sir Paul. Yuck).

Hey, wait. Henry and Gentle Man, you don't want Blues Traveler in, too, do you? Now I'm just getting paranoid.

And what about Can?

Return to “General Music”