"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Pop rock, hard rock, it's pretty much the same thing. Unless it's the Dead. Then it ain't even rock.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
swimmingupstream wrote:I must admit that I much more prefer his ballads over his hard rock numbers.

He has no "hard rock" numbers. It's Neil fucking Diamond.

Maybe she's confusing his name with his music.

But yeah, a deficit of rock of any kind in his catalog.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:12 pm

A lot of Neil Diamond's early singles absolutely rock. "Cherry Cherry", "Thank The Lord For The Night Time", "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", etc.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 pm

The OP sure has a weird sense of humor...especially when she is playing her favorite game of "Taunt the Liberals"
Last edited by penquin on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:A lot of Neil Diamond's early singles absolutely rock.
No, they do not.
Not only do they not rock (at best, I'd characterize them as mildly propulsive) but they certainly don't absolutely rock. I mean, considering how very much music rocks much, much, much, much harder than anything Neil Diamond has ever conceived of, if you grant his "rockingness" the power of absoluteness, what's left to describe actual rocking?

For the record, I have no moral or philosophical objections to the banning of Neil Diamond and his music.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Mr. Diamond certainly rocks more than Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead, two "artists" that often are inaccurately described as "rock".

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Since this thread has been so bizarre, i thought I'd tie up some of the split ends with a cute story. Guitarist Fred Tackett tells the tale of playing in Dylan's band circa early 1980s and Dylan had them practice all these Neil Diamond songs...not for their show, but just to keep things loose and entertaining. Dylan then took the recordings and mailed them to Neil Diamond as a joke of sorts...fast forward a few years and Tackett is now working in the studio with Diamond and Diamond starts talking about these weird tapes that show up in the mail of some musicians fronted by someone who sounds like Bob Dylan butchering his tunes:)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:Mr. Diamond certainly rocks more than Bob Dylan
No, he does not.

"Cherry Cherry", described by Kyle as "absolutely rock"

"Tombstone Blues", a song which actually rocks

You may reasonably (and, in fact, do) prefer the former to the latter for any variety of reasons, but one of them cannot be because "Cherry" rocks more, because that's pure, unadulterated crazy talk.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 pm

I dunno Wags...that second song you linked to doesn't seem real rockin' to me. In fact, it sounds downright boring. Like...Nothingsville, dude. For sure nowhere near as rockin' as that Neil song you also linked to.

But I reckon it is all a matter of taste and perception. If you consider that second link to be what you consider "actually rocking", then more power to ya!

and please actually listen to what you linked to before ya go off on me over this....hehe

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Come on Ms. Swimmer, tell us about your first ever rock concert. Believe me you are not boring us!

Pretty Please?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm

<pontificate>I found out one night during the Powder Ridge festival that "rock" as a genre is subjective. I will always class the Grateful Dead, Eagles, and Cat Stevens as rock and roll.</pontificate>

It might be interesting to know how many people feel the same way about Neil Diamond.

I will readily admit I prefer strongly opinionated declarations about who is more rock and roll to arguing about which songs to ban.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 pm

penquin wrote:please actually listen to what you linked to before ya go off on me over this....hehe

I dunno, penquin, I still think it rocks harder than Neil as posted.

But if anyone actually needs to hear the song in question, here's what I meant to link to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-z-WCGDXlk

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Neil Diamond doesn't rock but I think he swings:) Big diff, as my kids would say...

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

rabble wrote:I will readily admit I prefer strongly opinionated declarations about who is more rock and roll to arguing about which songs to ban.

I will do this all day. It's fun!

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:But if anyone actually needs to hear the song in question, here's what I meant to link to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-z-WCGDXlk

Boooooooooooring blues with some weasel talking over it for 6 minutes. NOT ROCKIN'. The closest it gets to rocking is when Dylan shuts his trap for a bit towards the end and the guitar gets louder. Then it goes back to suck-town.

Bob Dylan is the most overrated anything, ever.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:35 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Bob Dylan is the most overrated anything, ever.

Jimi Hendrix just called and said that Mr. Zimmerman is a damn good song writer.

And Joan Osborne is on line two, with a similar message. And it looks like Rage Against the Machine, Susan Tedeschi, Ani DiFranco, Chrissie Hynde, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Johnny Cash, as well as The Ramones also want to chime in on this topic...with dozens of more calls expected.

Return to “General Music”