"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby penquin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:46 pm

If logical people are rockin' out to Neil Diamond, then is it not logical to say that Neil Diamond does indeed rock?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 am

penquin wrote:If logical people are rockin' out to Neil Diamond, then is it not logical to say that Neil Diamond does indeed rock?

No.

Logic tells us that if people are indeed rocking out to Neil Diamond, those people are not logical no matter what they would like you to believe.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

rabble wrote:
penquin wrote:If logical people are rockin' out to Neil Diamond, then is it not logical to say that Neil Diamond does indeed rock?

No.

Logic tells us that if people are indeed rocking out to Neil Diamond, those people are not logical no matter what they would like you to believe.

Easy, easy. These are well charted waters, Yo La Tengo has some answers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDgpQBaziy0

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 pm

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:20 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Maybe I should have written "retired." Like offensive sport teams mascots and Al Jolson style black face. At least you can argue that Jolson was celebrating African American culture unlike this ugly song by the Rolling Stones.

one question i have about black face, since i have heard of incidents happening relatively recently, would be: there are firms still actually manufacturing and distributing black face? i am fairly certain that the current consensus against use of black face is at least 50 years old . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Average Joe wrote:Dylan uses the N-word in "Hurricane". Is that offensive or artistic context? Are the other examples artistic context?

it could be both.

the heavy use of that word by other artists may fall under the rubric of an attempt to blunt or reclaim the word, but as near as i can tell it still has the sting it had 40 years ago. a positively awful word that should maybe be ignored rather than trying to reclaim it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Huckleby wrote:I saw Dylan at the Dane County Colessium in the early 80's, went with very low expectations because I thought the guy was washed up. Just an amazing performance, he had the audience in the palm of his hands from start to finish, especially when he just accompanied himself on guitar. I've heard that his live performances are uneven.

a case in point is the concert in the same venue in august 1989 that was marked by unrealised potential more than anything else; most notably the electricity went out about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way through and they just stood around rather than going to acoustic

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Or, change it to "Braunschweiger" and make it about liver sausage.

eva braunschweiger?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Ok,

Too long and TMI!

three mile island?

ever go to see g g allin?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 pm

snoqueen wrote:Neil Diamond is a male Cher.

who's sonny?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm

gozer wrote:

who's sonny?

Don't know, but apparently he's in Hell.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:53 pm

gozer wrote:

who's sonny?

Also Neil--it's a twofer.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Then I should have said Neil Diamond is Sonny and Cher.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 am

I was part of a group that went skiing at Heavenly shortly after Sonny bought the farm there back in 1998. On certain chairlift rides up we looked for suspicious trees, but were unable to confirm which one did him in.

Neil Diamond's written some great songs and has a unique delivery. I dig The Jazz Singer. I don't see how anyone could be completely anti-Neil. Heck, even Neil Young has his moments.

Wait ... you say a notoriously rebellious band wrote a hit song with some slave-raping lyrics?
"Have the Rolling Stones killed!"

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:35 am

supaunknown wrote:I was part of a group that went skiing at Heavenly shortly after Sonny bought the farm there back in 1998. On certain chairlift rides up we looked for suspicious trees, but were unable to confirm which one did him in.

Neil Diamond's written some great songs and has a unique delivery. I dig The Jazz Singer. I don't see how anyone could be completely anti-Neil. Heck, even Neil Young has his moments.

Wait ... you say a notoriously rebellious band wrote a hit song with some slave-raping lyrics?
"Have the Rolling Stones killed!"

there were a bunch of famous people killed in something like 24 hours' time by trees then -- bono, one of the kennedys, a south tyrolean politician whose name and position escape me at the moment, and a couple of others -- and bono was running for united states senate at the time. the ostensible primary front-runner who was the mayor of san diego at the time and a very lovely person and uncommonly reasonable republican, ran out of money shortly thereafter. the only person to politically survive the process on the republican side to the current day is congressman issa. damn.

Return to “General Music”