"Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Brown Sugar" needs to be banned!

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Okay now I've got a whole slew of mental images I need burned out.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:Neil Diamond is a male Cher.

That's not really accurate, or fair. Neil wrote great pop songs and did his own thing. Cher trend-hopped her way through the decades.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm

But Cher got an Oscar. Nothing to do with music, of course.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Cher is extremely talented, like Neil Diamond.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:Neil Diamond is a male Cher.

I thought Michael Bolton was the male Cher. They both have the same stentorian approach to singing, they both like big booming anthems, and they both seem to revel in the echoing monotones they produce. Has anyone ever seen Cher and Michael Bolton in the same place at the same time?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Detritus wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Any musical act, without exception, that can connect with a huge audience for decades and multiple generations has rare talent. Music is about emotions, and Neil Diamond is able to move people with his instrument.

Emotion is one of the things music may be about. For some of us, it isn't even the most significant thing.

:D I see. As with sex, it's all about process, appreciating precision intellectually. Smarter people know what is good.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:57 pm

scratch wrote: Michael Bolton was the male Cher.

Michael Bolton was flash in the pan because he has such a limited range. Not that great at inspiring people to feel. Michael Bolton < Joe Cocker.

Cher indeed has the Kavorka.
Last edited by Huckleby on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:57 pm

David Bowie is the male Cher. Neither make music without doing an extensive market survey first.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Huckleby wrote:Any musical act, without exception, that can connect with a huge audience for decades and multiple generations has rare talent.

You've got to be kidding. You cannot truly believe that all of history's most popular entertainers are not only truly talented, but extremely so, in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. There is nothing "rare" about Lawrence Welk's talent, for example. It's exactly because he was a pandering lame-o that he was popular to begin with.

Huckleby wrote:You and Herr Professor are unable to appreciate Neil Diamond. This is your limitation, you are broken men.

In the first place, I don't deny (nor have I ever) that Diamond has talent. (I stand by my assertion that he does not rock, however.) Regardless, this notion you have that everyone should always appreciate anything that others already appreciate is pretty goofy (and partially to blame for why we're cursed with so much dreck in our pop culture to begin with.) As I said in another thread, if you like everything, you don't really have any opinion at all.

Oh, and while I'm sorry to bring him up again, I must correct you all: Neil Diamond is the male Barry Manilow.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: this notion you have that everyone should always appreciate anything that others already appreciate is pretty goofy

That's not what I'm saying. I'm aware that there are good and bad performances and performers.

I advocate for a high level of self-doubt when you don't like something. In most cases it is your own inability to connect with the music emotionally. When you are talking about music that has touched a huge number of people and endured, it's you. There's some there there.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Rolling Stones top 500 albums

222. The Neil Diamond Collection, Neil Diamond

(it's a ten-year-old list, but there have been hundreds of thousands of rock albums)

Sophisticated, highly developed musical tastes don't necessarily lead you to all the best music. "Sophistication" can lead to a narrowing and blinding, a preference for particular styles.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: There is nothing "rare" about Lawrence Welk's talent, for example. It's exactly because he was a pandering lame-o that he was popular to begin with.

pandering to what? To people's emotions? He had ability to move people and get them moving?

this is too funny! Shake your moneymaker, Professor.

hellogoodbye

Postby hellogoodbye » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

I mentioned to my grandmother that lawrence welk's music/band had no swing, even when playing jazz. It was straight eighths all the way. I didn't mean to offend her but she was very peeved and didn't speak to me for a few months...and I'm not kidding. I couldn't connect to mr welk's music/band at all since it was so stiff to my ears. But to grandma, mr welk was the defining person/band/music of her generation. She connected with that stiffness in ways I really couldn't understand. I've learned to be a little more careful with my opinions. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Ms Swimming you mentioned a few pages back that you almost went to a punk rock concert with your nephew. Any story behind that?

Well the story behind that is that my brother Brian's oldest son, Noel, came to visit me during the summer of 1989 because he was considering attending college here.

While here he found out that a musical group that he liked back home was playing a concert in Madison at a small venue called The Crazy Corral. (I believe it is no longer there.) Because he was not eighteen he needed me to go with him in order to get into the nightclub. I was not keen on the idea but I have a real soft spot for my only sibling's three children. All boys! Also, though I can no longer remember what the musical group's name was, I do remember it was a very peaceful and positive one.

Well, talk about mislabeled packaging! We got there and the place was really small and grubby. I wanted to turn around but Noel was insistent that we pay the cover and go in. The young people there were dressed literally in rags with holes in their jeans. Before the music started one of the members of the musical group recognized Noel from their being from same home town and came over to say hello. He was also very nice to me, asking if I had ever been to a rock and roll show before. (Don't worry! I did not answer that except to say yes!) His nice gentle demeanor set me at ease.

Well, that quickly passed when they started playing and the audience started to slam into each other. I was surprised that no one called the police given how violent they were getting. They sounded nothing short of Satanic!

I grabbed Noel by the arm and told him sternly that we needed to go. He told me to call his dad who was at home in Seattle and ask him if he could stay. I reluctantly agreed and went to ask the bartender if I could use the phone. I still remember that she was a very normal pretty girl with a sweet smile on her face. She looked like an Angel, which is what I needed right then.

She told me that she wished she could let me use the phone but the owner would be mad at her if she allowed someone to make a long distance call. She then apologetically told me there was a pay phone at the gas station down the street. So I left the nightclub and drove down Williamson Street to use the phone at the station. Williamson Street was very rough back then and I was shaking in fear that I was going to get assaulted.

Luckily when I finally found the change at the bottom of my purse and correctly dialed Brian and Barb's phone number my brother picked up on the second ring. I frantically told him what was going on and told him he should back me up in my assessment that Noel should leave.

My brother calmly told me to settle down. He then said-and I remember this perfectly-"if you let Noel stay for the show I will finally forgive you for making me miss Jimmy Hendrix."

I was surprised. I thought he had forgiven me years ago. I told him that I was sorry, hung up, and then went back to the nightclub.

When I got there I turned off my Subaru's engine and opened the door.

I sat there for a minute or so. After turning the engine back on so I could have air-conditioning, I turned the radio to Classical 88.7.

Luckily I had brought my crocheting with me and did that until Noel came out to go home.
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 pm

SEE! I am not always such the monster! LOL!

Noel did end up moving to Madison to attend UW. He told me a few years ago that the lead singer from the musical group from that night had died. He still seemed sad about it even though it was my impression it had happen years before.

My brother Brian died this past summer of a heart attack. I was more close to him through his children than directly.

I am still very close with Noel and his brothers, Mitchell and Marshall. I talk to each of them on the phone every week or two even though they are very busy young people.

Return to “General Music”