The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:05 pm

flanneljammies wrote:I don't think you're wrong about The Feelies, it's just that they don't annoy me as much as you.
I'm not sure it's possible for them to annoy you as much as they did me. And I wouldn't wish such annoyance on anyone else.

rrnate wrote:Hey man, I'm holding on to a baby here. Cut me some slack?
I'll consider it.
rrnate wrote:I have met a few rabid Feelies fans in my time; I will send your comments to them.
Ooh, please do. And be sure to let me know if I upset them even half as much as The Feelies upset me.

scratch wrote:More evidence of why there are both chocolate and vanilla in so many things.
Darn tootin'. As I've said before, it's good that we don't all like the same stuff. There'd be nothing to be snarky about if we did, and then what fun would the Internet be?

scratch wrote:And I really like her remake of "Sister Morphine," though I probably savor stories about Keith having to guilt Jagger into restoring her composer credit almost as much as the song.
I would love to hear such stories. I haven't gotten to "Morphine" yet (and yes, I fully intend to listen to all of the set mini lent me.) I'll let you know if it changes my opinion. For the record, I'm not hating this stuff, it's just not really turning me on. I'm generally not a big fan of the kind of synthy backing tracks I've been hearing so far anyway, so it's not like I'd necessarily be all over loving it even if her voice was more appealing to me.

scratch wrote:I'll not speak of her again
This is hardly necessary. As I've said many times here, the only real purpose of this thread is to get folks chatting about music. Speak freely, one and all.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 pm

So, based on my initial listens to the Marianne Faithfull comp minicat lent me, I am definitely starting to get what people like about her work. That said, the initial tracks, all from Broken English still leave me pretty cold (I listened to them all several times, as that seems to be the album that gets the most praise.) By the time I got to the end of the set, I did eventually come around to her vocals, so I guess what I dislike about the BE tracks is the synths, something which plagues a lot of these recordings. I like synths as texture, but not as the dominant instrument generally, but obviously, that's just an ear-bias I have which says nothing about the actual quality of the songs. And while I still insist "Working Class Hero" should not be covered, I did dig her version of "Isolation", so that's one in the pro-Lennon cover column. I did enjoy her reworked "Sister Morphine" and her cover of "As Tears Go By" was pretty great (and one of the most effective vocals here, I thought.) Two other standout tracks for me were "Intrigue" and "Truth Bitter Truth" (and after railing on The Feelies for having songs that are too damn long, it was a real pleasure to hear something that I thought earned its 7-minute runtime.) So while I was hardly blown away by this, I can definitely see it growing on me, and I will be burning a copy for keeps.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am

scratch wrote:
minicat wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote: ... Marianne Faithfull comp. (My mini-review so far after only listening to the first half-dozen tracks: She's a pretty lousy singer. And nobody should ever cover "Working Class Hero".)

well, there is that.
her range is similarly limited in the '60s but is somewhat more pleasing pre-KeithRichardization of her voice.

I strongly disagree on both counts; I like her cover of "Working Class Hero" pretty well and I think her voice post-KeithRichardiazation is more interesting than her overly-restrained, pristine, AndrewLoogOldhamized '60s voice (which I realize nobody was complimenting). More evidence of why there are both chocolate and vanilla in so many things.

And I really like her remake of "Sister Morphine," though I probably savor stories about Keith having to guilt Jagger into restoring her composer credit almost as much as the song.

I'll not speak of her again (and given the arc of her most recent stuff, nobody else is likely to either).

I actually like her voice in both eras, I just sort of agree with some naysayers that she doesn't have a lot of vocal range. By the late '70s, she had learned to do a lot more with what she had and was very expressive. If I'm gonna listen to her, though, I pick the '60s stuff, for the reason noted above by the Prof.: Synths. Worst. Instrument. Ever.

It's worth noting Faithfull recorded the original versions of both "Sister Morphine" and "As Tears Go By," though what's on the comp are both remakes, Wags. I'm sure you know ATGB already ... I have the 45 of Morphine and can play it for you sometime. I'm pretty sure the Stones back her up on it.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:32 am

FYI - Richard Thompson played "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" during his show at The Barrymore on Saturday night. He introduced it as 'a song from my old band.'

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

Marvell wrote:FYI - Richard Thompson played "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" during his show at The Barrymore on Saturday night. He introduced it as 'a song from my old band.'
This is pretty awesome. Did he sing it?

THE FIESTAS -- I have this comp and it's pretty good (and probably all the Fiestas anyone needs.) Best known for "So Fine", these guys were purveyors of a very gospel-influenced group harmony sound. Genre fans will find much to admire here, although there ain't that many standout songs.

THE FIREBALLS -- pretty good early '60s surf/rock instrumental music c/o Norman Petty's studio. I have two of their LPs. The 1st LP is more consistently good, but the second is more interesting, containing almost all originals. Again, genre fans will enjoy this much more than casual listeners. I have no use for this band once they added vocals and started churning out pop hits (I've never been a "Sugar Shack" fan and their late-60s hit "Bottle Of Wine" is pretty atrocious, IMHO.)

FIREHOSE -- hadn't pulled these out in a while. Great fun! My collection is strangely spotty -- I have only their 1st (Ragin', Full-On and 4th (Flyin' The Flannel) LPs (plus the Sometimes EP). Very interesting songs and arrangements -- a lot of rockin' but these guys always keep things surprising. I should pull these out more often.

FISHBONE -- All I have is the self-titled debut (which on CD also includes their fantastic Christmas EP). Sounds dated but is still pretty damn entertaining. Interesting songs with hot vocals and clever arrangements, although for my money, the Christmas stuff remains their best. Also included on the CD I have burned: "Housework", the only track I thought was worth saving from the otherwise underwhelming Reality Of My Surroundings LP. It's a real corker.

Next up... Ella Fitzgerald.
This one's gonna take a while, folks.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:....and their late-60s hit "Bottle Of Wine" is pretty atrocious, IMHO.

Sir, "Bottle Of Wine" is a fantastic song, and a long-running Arkoffs cover request for me.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am

I notice you didn't jump in to defend "Sugar Shack" ...

I wholeheartedly endorse an Arkoffs version of "Wine". Then there would be a version of that song I did want to hear. That would make me happy.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Marvell wrote:FYI - Richard Thompson played "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" during his show at The Barrymore on Saturday night. He introduced it as 'a song from my old band.'

This is pretty awesome. Did he sing it?

Indeed he did. He did a pretty good job, too.

If you listen to Small Town Romance, it's really pretty incredible how much better Richard's singing has gotten over time. He always had a good ear for harmonies, but as a lead singer he had a lot of growing to do.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I notice you didn't jump in to defend "Sugar Shack" ...

"Sugar Shack" bugs me, but I do have both the Sugar Shack & Bottle Of Wine LPs, and they've survived a couple of purge attempts. They both have enough good songs on them to stay in the collection.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:FISHBONE -- All I have is the self-titled debut (which on CD also includes their fantastic Christmas EP). Sounds dated but is still pretty damn entertaining. Interesting songs with hot vocals and clever arrangements, although for my money, the Christmas stuff remains their best. Also included on the CD I have burned: "Housework", the only track I thought was worth saving from the otherwise underwhelming Reality Of My Surroundings LP. It's a real corker.

Man, that first Fishbone EP is so great and so unique; it's one of those recordings where whenever I hear it, I think "Yeesh, how did they do that?". (Also, a crazy side note; the writing credits are really split amongst different band members, even though those seven songs really feel cohesive.) They get terrible pretty much right after this, all of the sudden sounding like (and influencing, goddamn them) the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and a lot of terrible music, but, they started out so great.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:10 pm

regarding the Fireballs, this stupid junk is where it's at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2HmQfM3pA&feature=kp

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:FIREHOSE -- hadn't pulled these out in a while. Great fun! My collection is strangely spotty -- I have only their 1st (Ragin', Full-On and 4th (Flyin' The Flannel) LPs (plus the Sometimes EP). Very interesting songs and arrangements -- a lot of rockin' but these guys always keep things surprising. I should pull these out more often.

Totally. fIREHOSE = so good. I have the same problem as you: I only have Mr. Machinery Operator and Flyin' the Flannel. Maybe I'll finally get around to rectifying that. For what it's worth, for all of the awesomeness Watt has done over the years, Powerful Hankerin' (from Mr. Machinery Operator) is probably my favorite. Everything I like about his playing and singing is completely on in that song. It all just fits together so easily and naturally.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 pm

fIREHOSE
I'll de-lurk to mention this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raICDoMymBQ
You can really feel the 1987.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey, Perfesser--you got competition!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Detritus wrote:Hey, Perfesser--you got competition!
Holy bejeebus!
I assume you don't want me to adopt this model given how long-winded I am even when I'm trying to be brief.

Example of a phrase you would definitely never find in a review of mine: "Everyone has really nice cuticles too."

I'm still deep in Ella Fitzgerald land at the moment.
My mini-review so far: That lady can sing!

Return to “General Music”