The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby Marvell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:A whole slew of folks named Jackson: Joe

I went through a whole Joe Jackson period in my late teens / early 20s: I really dug Look Sharp, and when Big World came out I thought it was the most awesome thing ever.

I am mildly mortified by this now, much like I am by my contemporaneous fascination with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I can only say in my defense that I was an extremely callow youth.

Beat Crazy is probably my favorite Joe album now, despite or perhaps because of its intensely problematic sexual and racial politics. Jackson just let it all hang out on that one, putting all his unresolved angst and neuroses right out there for the world to see in an astonishing display of either courage or foolishness (or both).

I hesitate to recommend it, due to the raw, abrasive nature of its lyrical content. But I do find it personally compelling in a way I can't quite articulate.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:and Wanda

Ms. Jackson is the shit. "The Box That it Came In" is quite possibly the most terrifying song ever recorded.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Marvell wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The Jam

For whatever reason I was a little late to The Jam party. . .

The first time I heard it I was all like, 'where the fuck has this been all my life?'

Admittedly I prefer the punkier early stuff . . .

I had the same experience -- never heard any Jam til I was already in my 20s -- and I also have the same preference for the earlier stuff. I own the first four albums but looking at the track listing of Setting Sons, I can't honestly say I recognize any of those songs by name. (Well, except for "Heat Wave", and honestly, my band does it better than they did.)

Marvell wrote:I went through a whole Joe Jackson period . . .

I still like the first two LPs but that's pretty much it except for Disc One of the double-live CD (which is worth the price of admission for the supercharged version of "Got The Time" alone.) It's weird to look back and note that of all the angry young Brits from that era, the guy who went on to record "Steppin' Out" and an entire album of Louis Jordan covers was probably the angriest.

Marvell wrote:. . . my contemporaneous fascination with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
For me it was The Dancing Wu Li Masters. What the fuck was I smoking? (Oh yeah right, lots of weed . . .)

Marvell wrote:Ms. [Wanda] Jackson is the shit.

Damn right. An American treasure. Got to see her live a couple years ago and she was amazing. I urge anyone who gets the same opportunity to do so as well. Just stand up close or you won't be able to see her. (Seriously -- she's literally only 5' tall!)

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Only 200 more pages to go until we get to Zappa

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:Only 200 more pages to go until we get to Zappa

Heh. From my very first post of this thread in November of 2012: "By my calculations, I should finish sometime around April of 2018."
Me and calculation are not exactly on the best terms.

Also, fair and very-advanced-warning: I have 74 proper Zappa albums (although four or five of those are different versions of the same albums) comprising 86 CDs worth of music (including one disc of "leftovers" culled from various compilations.)
Eat your heart out, Hawkwind.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 pm

SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS -- The late, great Sharon Jones may have had to wait til late in life to get the recognition her powerhouse vocals were due, but despite her unfortunate passing last year, in the dozen-plus years of her association with The Dap-Kings/Daptone label, she recorded five pretty amazing albums (plus a bunch of single-only sides and a Christmas record, to boot) and the world of funky soul music is a much richer place for it. Everything about these albums is pretty much perfect -- to focus solely on Jones does a real disservice to Daptone label-owner Bosco Mann, the fabulous musicians who make up the Dap-Kings, and the deep devotion to the '60s & '70s music from which they all draw their inspiration, including the spot-on songwriting and incredible production. These albums are true labors of love and that comes through in every way. In other words, this is my kind of new music: the kind that sounds just as great or better than the old music I already love. (Yes, I know that makes me an old man screaming at the kids to get off my lawn. I can live with that.) I have almost everything these folks recorded and would give all of it the highest grade, if grading records was the sort of thing I did. I could go on and on heaping accolades on this music. Basically, if you love '60s soul, you'll love Sharon's albums. I can't really recommend one particular album over any other -- they're all of a piece, although the final one, 2014's Give The People What They Want goes a little more in the Motown/girl group direction than previous releases -- so just get'em all and have yourself a soul party. Here's just a handful of faves: "100 Days, 100 Nights", "I'll Still Be True", "I'm Not Gonna Cry", "Keep On Looking", "Mama Don't Like My Man", "Money", "My Man Is A Mean Man", "Something's Changed"
There are lots of live performances on YouTube as well, which I urge you to explore on your own.
Sharon, you will be missed.

TOM JONES -- I've got a 24-cut compilation which, let's be honest here, is at least 20 more Tom Jones songs than anyone really needs. Most of it is listenable enough but Jones is a pretty limited singer -- he's powerful, to be sure, but utterly soulless, and incapable of demonstrating anything resembling real human emotion. (Just compare his versions of classics like "Without Love (There Is Nothing)" or "I (Who Have Nothing)" to the versions by Clyde McPhatter and Ben E. King and you'll instantly recognize what I mean.) That said, it's hard to argue with "It's Not Unusual", even if I don't really need several more carbon copies of it. His worst stuff is terrible less because of Jones himself and more because of awful material unredeemable by anyone, I suspect. Admittedly, I'm not a middle-aged housewife who likes the idea of sexy danger but rock and roll not so much, so I'm not exactly his target audience here. Infinitely better than Englebert Humperdinck, though.

Next up . . . Janis Joplin!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Wow. Did the Dap-Kings use a Delorean ... or a hot tub?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm

To be fair, at one point Sir Tom Jones (yes, he was knighted. Her Majesty likes his music) was a fairly hot punk-new wave singer. His kids put him up to it.

I read an interesting article about him, that one weekend he gave a concert in a trendy club in NYC, where nobody was over 30, and then did a much bigger concert in Atlantic City, with a substantially older audience.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:To be fair, at one point Sir Tom Jones (yes, he was knighted. Her Majesty likes his music) was a fairly hot punk-new wave singer. His kids put him up to it.

Based on your example, he was less a punk-new wave singer than a sad, grasping-at-straws hack, grafting his particular brand of cheesy vocals onto a lame-ass version of a legitimately good song, but hey, I don't understand a lot of what the kids listen to, no matter what year it is. But that said, I won't pretend I haven't enjoyed Jones's cover of Prince's "Kiss" from time to time, so whatever. Dude has his charms, no doubt about it.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 am

I think the parent-child dynamics of this are fascinating.

Tom Jones was famous for doing a certain style of music. His fame and fortune were completely based on that style. Then, he went off on a completely different direction, to perform with the bands his kids liked.

Whatever you think about him as a singer and an artist, that says something about his as a parent. Not sure what, but it says something.

Also, being an icon in Wales, he did make a point of working with some Welsh bands. Again, that says something, but I'm not sure what.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:GEORGE JONES

Country singing doesn't get better than George Jones. The only country star I'm a bigger fan of is Hank Williams Sr., but that has as much or more to do with Williams' extraordinary songwriting as with his singing, which was unforgettable but not George Jones good. I saw Jones in 2003 at the Wisconsin Valley Fair in Wausau, and in his 70s his singing was still wonderful. He turned an impromptu version of "Happy Birthday to You" into an artwork.

I own a bunch of Jones vinyl but only a handful of CDs. They include Rhino's very good 1991 compilation "The Best of George Jones (1955-1967)," which was essentially my introduction to Jones' music, back in college. Around the same time I bought his then-current MCA release "And Along Came Jones," which buries good singing and OK material in a slick early 1990s Nashville production. I also have "My Very Special Guests," Jones' 1979 collection of duets with singers like Waylon Jennings and James Taylor. Like most such projects, "My Very Special Guests" is a mixed bag. But "I Gotta Get Drunk" with Willie Nelson is a keeper, and I'm fond of the collaboration with Elvis Costello on Costello's own "Stranger in the House.".

One of my favorite George Jones moments is this performance of "The Door" on a 1970s "Hee Haw," and not just because of the amazing hair. I thought of it in connection with this post and watched it just now to see if it would give me goosebumps again. It did.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:. . .this performance of "The Door"

Wow. Thanks for posting.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Better, I think, than the No. 1 single recording because of the aforementioned Billy Sherrill shlock problem.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Better, I think, than the No. 1 single recording because of the aforementioned Billy Sherrill shlock problem.

Exactly. I was perfectly capable of knowing there's a heartrending stinger in the first version you posted when George gets to the lines, "To hear that sound and to know it's really over/Through tear stained eyes I watched her walk away . . ." without an enormous orchestral upswelling and chorale of angels to prod me to feel basic human emotions.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 am

Marvell wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:A whole slew of folks named Jackson: Joe

Not long ago I picked up "Body and Soul" on used vinyl because I had fond memories from '80s college radio of the good single "You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)." I was pleasantly surprised by "Not Here, Not Now," which tries hard to seem like a standard and comes dang close.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:GEORGE JONES

Country singing doesn't get better than George Jones.

To quote Mojo Nixon: "George Jones sings so good it'll make your dick hard."

Return to “General Music”