Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm

WYE OAK.

I am a big fan of the AVClub and their writers and even many of the commentators, but seriously, they all need to go have screaming hot sex with the chick from Wye Oak and get it out of their system. They've been fawning over them (or, more specifically, her) for a couple years now, but have really ramped it up lately. They won last year's AVUndercover for their (inexplicably praised) cover of The Kinks' "Strangers"*, their albums routinely get the highest marks from reviewers, they were the first band featured in the new One Track Mind feature, and now, they've named the latest Wye Oak as Best Album of the Year.

But I just don't hear it.
The songs are usually boring and not-very melodic. Their instrumentation is dull and their (over-praised) chops seem simply adequate. And, worst of all IMHO, is Jenn Wasner's horrible horrible HORRIBLE vocals. She seems to have an alright voice, except that her mouth seems perpetually full of marbles. Hey, Jenn -- OPEN YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU SING! Yeeesh. That's like Singing 101.

So, any fans here who can explain this band's appeal? Cuz I'm pretty sure it boils down to "music and internet geeks want to have sex with Jenn Wasner" which is a perfectly reasonable position to take (if you're into really stupid looking tattoos, anyway) but no excuse for constantly bombarding the rest of us with claims of her musical awesomeness.

*This is one of my favorite Kinks songs and I find Wye Oak's version nearly unlistenable. Besides, the winner should have been Ted Leo's awesome version of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Wye Oak - I can see where you're coming from but there's something about the sound of her voice that I like, and I generally don't care for female vocals as a rule. I haven't heard the whole album, just a couple of songs on the radio, but I do like what I've heard. They kind of remind me of a local band, Land of Vandals (formerly Flight). But I am 100% with you re: Ted Leo.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:06 pm

wallrock wrote:Land of Vandals (formerly Flight).
Another name change? In my recollection: Jentri Colello -> Flatbear -> Flight -> now, Land of Vandals. I suppose I haven't been paying attention very well.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:43 am

ArturoBandini wrote:
wallrock wrote:Land of Vandals (formerly Flight).
Another name change? In my recollection: Jentri Colello -> Flatbear -> Flight -> now, Land of Vandals. I suppose I haven't been paying attention very well.

Yeah, they seem to roll through a new name every nine months or so. I read in one of Albertoni's pieces this fall that they have an EP out but I haven't seen it around.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Bon Iver (I'm all for twee, heartfelt pop and he's alright I guess but I just don't get all the fawning acclaim)

Zola Jesus (sounds like mid-80's Siouxsie with more amateur production. Again, not terrible but I don't get the ridiculous press)

Kate Bush (I understand why people like her I guess but her voice just sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together to me.)

About 80% of LCDSoundsystem's catalog (a couple great songs in there, but the rest sounds like a divorced dad trying to pick up 23-yo hipster Brooklyn girls)

And Amanda Palmer just irritates me.

Wow it feels good to get that off my chest.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 pm

I can think of dozens of artists that I "don't get" but I understand that my dislike or indifference to them is often very personal... I'm not claiming they suck, there's just something about them that rubs me the wrong way. It seems like it's usually high vocals that irritate me most, ie. Rush, Led Zeppelin, Journey, etc.

But there are a few artists that I find SO IRRITATING that I'd turn off the radio altogether rather than listen to them.

Jack Johnson has been singing the same recycled song since his first and he has his vocals recorded so hot that I think I can hear his stomach growling. Turn down your microphone sensitivity and write a second song, jackass.

Alanis Morrisette's faux feminism is enough to turn my stomach. Yeah, some guy ruined your life because you need him so much that you can't live without him.

The Carpenters apparently had a huge influence on Jack Johnson, because every time I hear one of their songs it sounds like Karen is nibbling on my earlobe. I'm not sure if this is supposed to sound sexy or maternal, but I don't find it in the least soothing. Quite the opposite, actually.

Adele... SHUT UP!!! I'm not sure if the problem is Adele or the radio stations that have her on a seven minute rotation, but I feel like I can't escape this harpy and her fake accent.

I think that's about it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I was curious to hear Adele's album 21, because "Rolling in the Deep" is a good song. And? "Rolling in the Deep" is a good song.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

pjbogart wrote:Alanis Morrisette's faux feminism is enough to turn my stomach. Yeah, some guy ruined your life because you need him so much that you can't live without him.

Not "some guy" - this guy:

pjbogart wrote:The Carpenters apparently had a huge influence on Jack Johnson, because every time I hear one of their songs it sounds like Karen is nibbling on my earlobe. I'm not sure if this is supposed to sound sexy or maternal, but I don't find it in the least soothing. Quite the opposite, actually.

In my later years I was all about Midwestern bar bands, hard rock, prog, and heavy metal. But when I was a little kid, I liked the Carpenters. Still have a soft spot for them.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:56 pm

springsteen

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:springsteen

Good job. John Landau has now banned you and all of your descendants from ever entering the Rock and Roll [sic] hall of fame.

You and *Martin* Landau are still cool though.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:48 am

I quite agree about not getting Springsteen. Never have, never will, but I don't begrudge him his success since he seems like a relatively well-grounded person for a rock star. I also don't get Madonna--with no softening disclaimer--and I actively loathe Michael Buble. Sadly Mrs Scratch finds him quite entertaining.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am

I'm totally with Wags on the Wye Oak thing - I don't think her voice is all that bad, but they have Shite for tunes.

Similarly, I'm with Nully on Bon Iver - I do kinda like the first album, but the new album is pretty awful. Truly, I cannot see a future where we won't laugh about it's pretty-positive reviews in ten year's time. Also, I DO NOT WANT to hear him warble through a Bonnie Raitt cover - "I Can't Make You Love Me" is a pretty good song, but only when not sung with a weakass falsetto. (That being said, I do like the stuff he did with Kanye.)

Adding to the list of newer acts that are inexplicably well-reviewed...

* Girls - I cannot get past dude's sub-par Elvis Costello impression.
* Cults - I like girl group sounds as much as anybody, but these guys have one good song and an album's worth of filler.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am

scratch wrote:

I quite agree about not getting Springsteen.

Even Nebraska?

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Ducatista wrote:
scratch wrote:

Even Nebraska?

Nebraska's the worst one! IMO, the good thing about Bruce is the E-Street Band.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Ducatista wrote:
scratch wrote:

Even Nebraska?

Yes, even Nebraska. At one time I liked his poetry albums well enough to listen to them once a year or so, but that madness has passed.

Return to “General Music”