Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Postby rrnate » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Since his back surgery he has lost all feeling in his fingers.

However, he can still feel it coming in the air tonight.

Woo!

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm

rrnate wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Since his back surgery he has lost all feeling in his fingers.

Woo!

Boom.

And the hits keep on coming.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm

dave esmond wrote:
rrnate wrote:

Woo!

Boom.

And the hits keep on coming.

I don't know Dave...we seem to have an invisible touch when it comes to this sort of thing.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm a Clapton fan, but I agree he peaked some time ago. His collaborations with Collins were a low point. If he had died young like Duane Allman, he might still have god status in the eyes of his distractors.

Ms Vilas is/was a Phil fan, so she took me to a Genesis (sans Gabriel) concert at the Coliseum in the early 80s. Enough said.

hellogoodbye

Postby hellogoodbye » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:07 pm

for a rock drummer phil sure can swing. that buddy rich big band thing was a huge gamble on his part and for the most part was very well received by critics who do not like rockers. i'm not sure it's fair to compare prince and phil. both are extremely talented and widely respected by musicians across many styles. i'm a fan of old school genesis, even phil's singing, but do not like much past lamb lies down or phil's solo stuff. prince, even some of his out there stuff still rocks in my book. their song writing/craft is possibly more important than who can play more instruments. lenny kravitz is another guy who can play a ton of instruments and sing well but i really don't care for much of his work and never understood the hype...but i readily admit he's beyond talented.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 pm

dave esmond wrote:And the hits keep on coming.

If I had some easy way of representing this series of posts in the Best of TDPF thread, I would.

hellogoodbye wrote:for a rock drummer phil sure can swing. that buddy rich big band thing was a huge gamble on his part...

Thank you. I had no idea he was involved in this, but here's the proof. Yeah, he could certainly play back in the day.

You'll Be in my Heart is still one of the worst songs ever written. Seriously, just try to listen to that without ripping out your own spleen.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Chuck Berry is a total asshole. Jerry Lee Lewis is an asshole. The list of assholes who've made good music is endless: Ike Turner, Glen Campbell...

No doubt Campbell has had his asshole moments but all in all he's probably a pretty likeable guy judging from all the artists who have collaborated with him over the last decade. I think they know him better than the general public does.

Contrast that to Jimmy Connors who no one in tennis wants anything to do with - a true asshole (and sociopath) to the core.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am

ilikebeans wrote:Thank you. I had no idea he was involved in this, but here's the proof. Yeah, he could certainly play back in the day.

Of course he can play. So can everyone mentioned so far. They're all talented.

Isn't this about our own personal blind spots tho'? People who are acclaimed and talented...who we think used that talent to make crap even when others love it?

Sure it's all kinda negative. But I find it just as interesting as talking about artists that we love.

Someone's gonna have to come up some more...I've pretty much run out of examples that baffle me.

Or RRNate can come up with some more Phil zingers. Nate?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am

Michael Jackson.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:34 am

dave esmond wrote:Or RRNate can come up with some more Phil zingers. Nate?

It's time for me to show my true colors (take a look at me now): Frank Sinatra.

I really like crooners and absolutely love a bunch of 'em - Dean Martin, Bobby Darrin, Nat King Cole (and if you count him, Louis Prima, though that's getting in to a different, more upbeat and awesome thing).

However, I've never understood why Frank is considered the best - for so much of his career, he clearly didn't give a shit. His whole persona from like, late '50's on is that he's doing as little as possible. This is one of my biggest blind spots, because I like almost every other crooner out there.

Also, side note on Phil Collins as amazing drummer - he's not. Let's get it straight, he's fine but he is to swing drumming what EC is to blues guitar playing, which is to say, boring.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

??? I think you're confusing Sinatra with Dino.

Since when is releasing a shit-ton of albums, acting in a crapload of movies and starting your own record company from scratch doing as little as possible? That's what Sinatra did in the late '50s-1960s. Hell, he was even keeping Dino employed via his record company.

Now, I ain't gonna argue about the quality of the '50s Capitol recordings as compared to the '60s Reprise recordings. There's gems and junk in either era, but his actual singing is probably better in the '60s.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 pm

minicat wrote: his actual singing is probably better in the '60s.
Sinatra's voice was purer in the 50's. I think most fans prefer that era. I agree with you, a small roughness did nothing but make his 60's voice richer.

rnate has balls the size of grapefruits. Unfortunately, I expect a swarthy man in a dark suit will show up his door today and bust them.

(substitute "ovaries" and "her" if needed)

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:15 pm

I have one live Sinatra recording from the late 60s/early70s, and the thing that stands out, aside from the performance, is how often Sinatra credits the arranger "another incredible arrangement by Nelson Riddle" and/or the songwriter "this song is an American treasure, written by Cole Porter". My transcription is not accurate, but you get the picture; it is slightly jarring how much Sinatra cares about the music, much more than one might have thought.

Huckleby wrote:rnate has balls the size of grapefruits.

He truly is the Morton Downey Jr. of music threads.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 pm

it is slightly jarring how much Sinatra cares about the music, much more than one might have thought.

The guy never sang a song that wasn't already a hit.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 pm

suddenly I'm getting the feeling I'm gonna get hit in the head by a saxomophone tomorrow night.

I would compound it by saying Dean Martin's an acclaimed artist I don't get, but he'd have to be acclaimed first.

Return to “General Music”