Summerfest?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Summerfest?

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Next year, I'm hoping for "An Evening With Lou Christie".

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

rrnate wrote:Next year, I'm hoping for "An Evening With Lou Christie".

http://www.lou-christie.com/tour.html

Actually, it kind of looks like I could host this in Kiki's basement. Which one of you guys wants to chip in to book this man in our town?

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm

rrnate wrote:http://www.lou-christie.com/tour.html

Actually, it kind of looks like I could host this in Kiki's basement. Which one of you guys wants to chip in to book this man in our town?

I would help make this happen.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sausagefest?

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Marvell wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:"An Evening with RUSH?" Did I just see they actually billed it that way? You're a fucking prog rock band, not a Mark Twain impersonator, fer chrissakes.

Actually, I think having a Mark Twain impersonator fronting for Rush is full of win.

Imagine the craaazy shit they could do for 'Tom Sawyer.' It would be Clemens-riffic!

Hal Holbrook is still kickin'.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Jeff Beck put on an incredible show last Friday night. I'm sure there are a few on this board who would argue he is just another nostalgia act, but those folks would be dead wrong. Killer band; killer show. I think Beck might actually be playing the best of his career right now. The big surprise for me was the recent inclusion of former Prince bassist Rhonda Smith. Holy shit, can she play (and sing)! (Not to be confused with his other recent bassist, Tal Wilkenfield, the young Australian who can also play circles around most others, male or female. She's currently on tour with Herbie Hancock.)

Rush has marketed their last few tours as An Evening with Rush, originally to differentiate from when they had opening bands. Meaning, they will play two full sets with a break (and encore), unlike nearly every other act at Summerfest. They are also one of the few remaining "dinosaur" bands that can still perform with the intensity of 20-year-olds. And yes, I'll be there all day to enjoy the rest of what Summerfest holds.

Sure, there are plenty of lame acts, but every year I go, there's always a new discovery or two. In particular, check out the tiny little local side stages that no one seems to notice. On Friday, I ended up buying a CD from some Milwaukee band whose name escapes me. They were seriously rocking a "crowd" of about 20, but easily put to shame some of the other major acts I walked past that night.

If I could swing it (but can't), I'd be checking out the B-52's, the Roots, and Cameo tonight. Someone report back here with a review please.

For those concerned about parking-- if you're traveling with one or two people, it makes more sense to park outside of Milwaukee and take a shuttle. The price is about the same, they drop you off right at the gate, and at the end of the night the buses are quicker to leave than the endless line of cars. Potential drawback, depending on your point of view: you have to put up with a bus full of drunks for about a half hour.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

For those concerned about parking-- if you're traveling with one or two people, it makes more sense to park outside of Milwaukee and take a shuttle. The price is about the same, they drop you off right at the gate, and at the end of the night the buses are quicker to leave than the endless line of cars. Potential drawback, depending on your point of view: you have to put up with a bus full of drunks for about a half hour.

Last time I went a few years ago we did this. Only the bus didn't show up on time. It was about an hour and a half late. That meant standing on the side of the road for an hour and a half with all those drunk people you mentioned while completely exhausted from the walking/rocking and sun from the day. That was what pretty much put me off of it.

keysrawk

Postby keysrawk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

I went on the first night this year because I happened to be in town for a Brewer game. Passion Pit was good but all the high schoolers that is their fan base needed to be punched in the face. Rudest crowd ever. Sound was terrible even from the sound booth. All bass and kick - big surprise.

Couldn't get close enough to see the Wailers it was so packed, but they sounded good. So we then headed to...

Sheryl Crow - put me to sleep seriously. Moving on to...

Kool & The Gang? Yep, these guys were awesome - which I was not expecting. Stayed at this stage the rest of the night. I did not go near Night Ranger - however, the "theme" that night was tribute bands.

I'm going tonight for Cameo and B-52's. Fuck it. Dance party.

Last year I found a dirty baby diaper in the middle of the fair grounds. Everyone was able to walk around it.

I hope this was informative.

keysrawk

Postby keysrawk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:23 pm

And Rush sucks. Where is the thread for that? Sign me up.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Rush puts on a great show.

If you're interested in hearing a band that strives for audio perfection, the Marcus Ampitheater isn't the venue.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Devo Sunday night 10pm. For those who say their dated or washed up hasn't seen a show recently. They still put on a kick ass show and have recently come out with a new album.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:49 pm

rrnate wrote:I've never understood why so few people from Madison go to Summerfest - trust me, I am very, very well aware of the drawbacks (big crowds, lots of back hair, etc.) but there are always some acts worth seeing.

Porta-potties. Plus what everyone else said, double plus the drive blows.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 am

Ahhhhhh the good old days of Summerfest. I attended at least once per summer from '94-'08. The first year my buddy's cousin was Metallica's wardrobe manager so we got free tix, backstage meet 'n greet, and then later hung out on the roadie bus and had a couple beers with 3 of the band members. A few years later they started doing jam band days and I managed to get my band in there for 3 consecutive years '06-'08. Sidebar for Fisticuffs - in '06 we had the 12 noon slot on the same stage as Spoon. We were waiting for them to finish their soundcheck. The drummer was taking forever. When he thru a fit about not enough hi-hat in the monitor we could not help from laughing. The best year for us I think the lineup was Boney Fingers -> BSR -> Dirty Dozen Brass Band -> Cat Empire(?) -> Bob Weir & Ratdog. We saw Ratdog's bass and guitar players watching us from the side of the stage jamming out during our set. We were able to keep playing there because we brought down a busload of Madison friends/fans. In '08 we chartered two buses and if we would have returned last year it would have been 3 buses. But things changed in '09. They hired some new guy to run the festival and he cut something like 100 of the earliest timeslots. Then designated a bunch of other early slots for battle of the bands / contest winners or kid bands so they would not have to pay them. Nothing wrong with any of this as I understand the economy, but there went our opportunity to play Summerfest. I still get calls and emails from people asking which day we are playing. ANd I still look at the schedule, but there is not the kind of "themed" stages of great bands to get me down there anymore even if they won't book my group. This year's theme for every day seems to be cover and tribute acts. On the day Rush is playing they have a Rush tribute act playing basically the whole afternoon. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby brentron909 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

eriedasch wrote:The first year my buddy's cousin was Metallica's wardrobe manager...

"OK, final run-through guys..."

"James, black acid-wash jeans and sleeveless Metallica T-shirt? Check."

"Kirk, flowy black unbuttoned shirt and lots of leave-in conditioner? Check."

"Lars, stupid tank top and annoying facial expressions? Check."

"Jason? Which one's Jason? Oh wait, no one cares what you're wearing."

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:59 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Last time I went a few years ago we did this. Only the bus didn't show up on time. It was about an hour and a half late.

I've haven't experienced this the handful of times I've done it, so I'm hoping yours was an isolated experience. Not that it diminishes the suckitude of the situation at the time.

HeyZeus wrote:If you're interested in hearing a band that strives for audio perfection, the Marcus Ampitheater isn't the venue.

The sound is pretty decent under the overhang (assuming the touring act brings a good PA system), but it's the bleacher and grass seats where things get dicey. I chalk it up to the substandard "booster" speakers on top of the overhang. Also, there's lots of concrete in that venue, so the farther from stage you are, the more the sound bounces around before you hear it. Naturally, the management has very little motivation to fix these issues, as it just generates more demand for the closer, pricier seating.

john_titor wrote:Porta-potties. Plus what everyone else said, double plus the drive blows.

When was the last time you were in the park? The permanent, concrete bathrooms have been in place for a loooong time. Yes, there are still porta-potties as well, but there's absolutely no need to use them if they creep you out.

Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Would have gone for Levon Helm but I didn't make it back from my vacation on time. RRNATE - a review? I caught this guy in his own home studio/barn earlier in the summer and am seriously inspired by this guy.

Return to “General Music”