Taylor Swift question

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taylor Swift question

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm

It ain't Conway and Loretta, but it's pleasant enough. It's tuneful and the singing is reasonably distinguished, and the hook is solid.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm also pleased Steve Martin won a bluegrass Grammy. He should triumphantly sing his "you just can't sing a sad song with a banjo" song ("Oh death and grief and sorrow and murder").

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:26 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:
rrnate wrote:That being said, I really don't get why people care about her "glibness, inscrutability and shape shifting". Seriously, this is something that almost every female pop singer does and has done for the last ten years.

... but not Taylor Swift, which is mainly what I was trying to say. And which is not to say that Taylor Swift's image is any less calculated.

Well yeah, but we all know Taylor Swift is a country singer. I know she doesn't sound all that country, but you made a good observation that though she's only really nominally country in sound, she's pretty dang country in presentation and image.

None of this changes the fact that Lady Gaga is not doing anything all that new.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Eager to learn more, I Googled "Jolson's tits" but found little of relevance.

Don't objectify them Wags. We love them because they hold a mirror up to society (just like Lady Gaga).

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 am

rrnate wrote:None of this changes the fact that Lady Gaga is not doing anything all that new.

From what I gather she's basically Madonna warmed over for the 90th time (approximately the first 87 were by Madonna herself).

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 am

Now this, this is not surprising--coming from a bunch of guys still carefully stain-treating their paper-thin Cheap Trick Live at Budokan t-shirts. :wink:

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Now this, this is not surprising--coming from a bunch of guys still carefully stain-treating their paper-thin Cheap Trick Live at Budokan t-shirts. :wink:

I actually don't have any Cheap Trick t-shirts. How did that happen?

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:31 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Now this, this is not surprising--coming from a bunch of guys still carefully stain-treating their paper-thin Cheap Trick Live at Budokan t-shirts. :wink:

Ah heck...it's all good.

I don't get Swift or GaGa on a musical level. Both are very meh to me. But I gotta give both of 'em credit for knowing how to work what they've got in order to create a buzz. Without their "image" neither would have the career they do. GaGa can play the Kiss and Madonna game. Every time she "reinvents" herself the media well be all over it. And since no one really knows what she looks like she can do a whole unmasked thing, and then later on send someone else out in her old outfits. F'in' brillant as something. I'm pretty sure musician isn't the right word. But still a great way to sell her stuff for years.

Swift better save as much money as she can while she's still young and good looking.

Finally. I seriously looked at this image and thought "Why was Marilyn Manson performing at the grammys this year?" Sometimes I'm stupid.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 am

Any of you experts know whether or not Lady Gaga has a penis?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am

juanton wrote:Any of you experts know whether or not Lady Gaga has a penis?

Certainly doesn't look like it from that picture dave just posted.

Or were you asking if she's seeing anyone? That, I don't know.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am

juanton wrote:Any of you experts know whether or not Lady Gaga has a penis?

That's its next publicity stunt.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 am

I've only heard "rumors." But since this thread has turned into the music pages from the back of Entertaintment Weekly, which I actually subscribe to, I figured it was OK to speculate.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Heh - I only own two t-shirts and I'm not really a very big Cheap Trick fan either. (One shirt is for one of the bands I'm in - the other is a Jerry Jeff Walker t-shirt.)

That being said, I listen to a fair amount of "dance pop" and there are really a lot of people doing it better than Lady Gaga. (Robyn is the one that immediately comes to mind, though there are many more.)

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 pm

I appreciate the live band and the live singing and the willingness to change up the arrangement from the recorded version. I think this rocks hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6diVYr8u-M

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:It ain't Conway and Loretta, but it's pleasant enough. It's tuneful and the singing is reasonably distinguished, and the hook is solid.

Thanks for clarifying. I can agree with pleasant enough, even though it doesn't do anything for me. I do declare, they can keep their Grammy.

Return to “General Music”