Prof. Wagstaff wrote:But more importantly, does comparing Gaga and Swift even make sense, considering how vastly different they are?
Nope. That being said, Beyonce is way better than both of them.
Here are some acts that I group together as "overrated by large media"...
* Lady Gaga
* Taylor Swift
* The Killers
* Katy Perry
* The Kings of Leon
* The Black Eyed Peas
* John Mayer
* Miranda Lambert
* The Jonas Brothers
I actually do think it makes a fair amount of sense to compare these acts, in that at some point, I read something somewhere that said these acts are worthwhile in some way. I can confirm that they are not. What is confusing is that there really are very mainstream acts that are at least often putting out good music.
* Kanye West
* Alicia Keys
* Justin Timberlake
* Weezer (I'm talking about modern Weezer, which is more or less only competing in this sort of category)
I didn't watch the Grammys this year (which I regret, as I like 'em) but there were some interesting nominations per usual.
* Phoenix - best "alternative album"
* Maxwell - several nominations
* Lonely Island w/ T-Pain - "Best Rap Song"
* Hall & Oates (for some live version of "Sarah Smile")
* That Willie Nelson / Asleep At The Wheel album got a lot of nominations
* Lucinda Williams - "Best Americana Album"