Taylor Swift question

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taylor Swift question

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Wouldn't want Without the visuals, Gaga just plain sucks.

Aw, Wags, don't be a hata!

I wasn't sure how I felt until I saw her on SNL earlier this year. Not only did she have a great sense of humor, she gave a completely charming performance at the keys. Anyone who can make a giant gyroscope costume look graceful while trying not to get hit in the head is cool with me.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Stefani Germanott started playing piano at the age of 4 and was playing in clubs before she was old enough to drive. She also gained an early admission to Tisch School of the Arts when she was 17. She wasn't making any money with her jazzy piano music, so she studied the antics of Bowie and Queen (from where she got her name) and is now dancing all the way to the bank.

Don't hate on a girl for giving the people exactly what they want.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Don't hate on a girl for giving the people exactly what they want.

I'm not really.
I'm more hating on the people who made her so damn popular.

But pointing out the pedigree of someone whose music is unappealing to my ears is kinda irrelevant, doncha think? Not only is where someone went to school a complete non-factor in my appreciation of their music, suggesting that just because they've been doing something for decades automatically means they're good is pretty ludicrous. By that logic, The Osmonds are the greatest group ever.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Swift winning over Gaga is Titanic winning Best Picture over LA Confidential. Speaks very poorly of the voters, and doesn't reflect the quality of the product so much as the acceptability of them.

Lady Gaga writes and perfoms her own music, in addition to writing a number of hit songs for other artists. She's got an artistic eye and no fear on stage.

If you doubt her musical chops, look into her acoustic versions of the hit songs in her portfolio. She does them live, but even so rarely does them exactly the same twice.

But a lot of listeners don't like what her songs say about them. Taylor Swift is an easier vote to cast. But not the right one.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Its funny, I've never heard a Gaga song all the way through (nor Taylor Swift). But everything I've read about her makes me want to like her. She writes, sings and performs all her own music and designs her get-ups. She's got talent--that much is clear. Name another pop star who does what she does.

Bottom line--the Grammys are a joke and anyone who would use the awards as a barometer of the current state of music is an even bigger joke.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Lady Gaga writes and perfoms her own music

Taylor Swift also writes her own music.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... fwxq9dldae
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... fyxztkld0e

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Okay, that's fair.

Now compare Swift's "Fearless" to Gaga's, say, "Paparazzi." You could say they're both title tracks.

"Fearless" is very clearly about one thing. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or challenging. "Paparazzi" is at least three layers deep.

A sonnet and a limerick are both forms of poetry, but some poetry is more equal than others.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 am

boston_jeff wrote: Bottom line--the Grammys are a joke and anyone who would use the awards as a barometer of the current state of music is an even bigger joke.

That reminds me of when the Grammy for hard rock/metal went to Jethro Tull.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 am

I'm shocked that I know so many people who actually watch the grammys.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 am

Who's using it as a barometer? I think everyone on this thread is mostly in agreement that what's selling and/or Granny worthy is mostly useless.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:28 am

TheBookPolice wrote:"Fearless" is very clearly about one thing. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or challenging. "Paparazzi" is at least three layers deep.

Sometimes "one thing" is enough. I'm not leaping to defend Taylor Swift's songwriting -- Dolly Parton she ain't -- but the strength of country music lyrics can lie in their plainness. When interpreted by gifted singers, that plainness translates into emotional honesty and intensity (what the "American Idol" judges somewhat irritatingly refer to as "authenticity"). For all that I enjoy and admire Lady Gaga's shtick, she's not about that. She's a trickster, a shape-shifter. She favors glibness, inscrutability. And good for her for that.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 am

Taylor Swift's "always and forever" (the one with the back up baby back up) keeps me warm at night. it is an awesome pop song. and she's got a bunch of other awesome pop songs as well.
putting her in a catfight with lady gaga is lame, but i enjoy both of Swift's albums more than gaga's one.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 am

depinmad wrote:i enjoy both of Swift's albums more than gaga's one.

Two.

Bottom line: I don't listen to happy pop very much. Especially the stuff that straddles the line with country. Blech. I realize, however, that that puts me in small company on TDPF. Would have never thought, with all the shitty attitudes on here, that so many people would listen to Shiny Happy FM.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:36 am

the fame and the fame monster don't really count as two albums.
and taylor swift isn't all or even mostly happy pop.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Now compare Swift's "Fearless" to Gaga's, say, "Paparazzi." You could say they're both title tracks.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that "The Fame" is the title track of The Fame?

But more importantly, does comparing Gaga and Swift even make sense, considering how vastly different they are? Of course it doesn't, which kinda exemplifies one of my (many, many) issues with The Grammys (and award shows in general.) What makes even less sense to me is putting down "happy pop" and "Shiny Happy FM" in one breath and praising Lady Gaga as "groundbreaking" and "deep" in the next.

Return to “General Music”