How long is too long to make an album???

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Robdzatu
Forum Addict

How long is too long to make an album???

Postby Robdzatu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Just a question....this has taken a while....I'm excited, but it took a miute

Bluehead
Forum Addict

Re: How long is too long to make an album???

Postby Bluehead » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 am

Hey Rob are you talking about just recording your album or writing, rehearsing and recording said album?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 am

And, are you more like Metallica or the Sex Pistols? (I'm well aware you don't sound like either, I'm questioning spirit here).

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 pm

The OuttaToons are at something like 3 years now. Waiting on one last instrument session for a few songs. Then those vocals and additional tracking. Hope to have it done by the end of the year.

The Shabelles are at over a year and counting. Tons of work left to do, but we think we're starting to see the end far away in the distance.

Tracking one person at a time, maybe two song's worth, per occasional recording session takes freakin' forever. There's really something to be said for the whole band, at least the instruments-only, all tracking together live.

I think I've been an apt student of the home recording process. I soak up knowledge on the subject like a sponge. It's been fun to try and to learn, and to hear the results when things come together well.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Some albums take longer than others.

Nearly 40 years after Jimi Hendrix's death, the estate of the legendary Seattle-born guitarist will release an album it says contains never-before-heard music.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:34 pm

The Suit's latest took us a year. Total hours of work was only about 45-50 though. We could have spent tons more time on the mix, yet that's my least favorite part of the process.

I have been working on a 4 song EP for a friend's band for over a year and a half now. My fault, not theirs. Sorry Bill, soon we will be finished. :)

On the other hand, I just finished a single for a buddy's band in about a day and a half.

For me, how long it takes mostly depends on how lazy I am. I can be REALLY lazy.

Return to “General Music”