Fuck you, Leonard Cohen

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Fuck you, Leonard Cohen

Postby Daisy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:35 am

I love Mr. Cohen's music and he's undoubtedly the one songwriter of our time on par with Bob Dylan. So it was pretty exciting to see he's touring and playing at the Paramount Theatre here in the Bay Area. But a click-through to Ticketmaster informs one that the great man is demanding $550 per ticket.

[/begin rant]
Are you fucking kidding me? How can someone who writes with such compassion be such a dick - when people are losing their jobs, their healthcare etc - as to ask for a month's rent from a couple who may want to go see him?

From a capitalist perspective, I guess he's just charging "what the market will bear." But it's bizarre for a dude like that to be performing in a hall filled with the same demographic as an RNC fundraiser.

"The rich get rich, the poor stay poor, that's how it goes," indeed...
[/end rant]

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fuck you, Leonard Cohen

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am

sounds like most of the tickets are far cheaper than that.

http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewto ... 32&t=13571

Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:57 am

I got two decent seats at the May 5 Chicago show for $341. I'd have loved to grab two $253 seats, but there exist insufficient hallucinogens to bring about a reality in which I'm okay with that price.

In the before times (let's call it BC, Before Cohen) I scoffed at adults who paid hundreds to see a show. It seemed like aging artists soft-rocking a corporate-named arena were the ones commanding such prices, and I disdained the rockers, the prices, and the concert-goers. Yet here I am with a receipt that tells me I am what I scorned. The abyss looked back, man.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Thank you for supporting my trust fund;)

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 pm

I am at this moment listening to his recent New York concert, linked from npr.org. It's awesome, and will have to do for those of us disinclined to spend that much on tickets.

"Suzanne" is at about the 26th minute, if you want to skip to it. Cohen's voice is better than ever, his backup musicians tasty and right on which has not always been the case, and it's just a great, great show.

See if this link works:
http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=101542817&m=101544862

He can charge whatever he wants for his concerts -- I won't go there -- but I do think it's nice he allowed this hour and 15 minute free download. I want to comment particularly on the production, which is clean, uncluttered, and spacious -- a strange word to apply to Cohen, but listen for yourself.

Return to “General Music”