Worst supergroup ever

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Worst supergroup ever

Postby Igor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My definition of a supergroup is one composed of musicians who were well known as individuals or came from well established groups. Most of those you listed don't meet that definition. I first heard that term applied to Cream.

Certainly Cream, followed by CSNY and Blind Faith are the earliest ones of significance that I am aware of. Probably any band where they use their names or initials to form the band name.

I have a copy of this album in the basement that I have listened to 0-1 times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.L.T._(album)

Paleo2
Forum Addict

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Igor wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:My definition of a supergroup is one composed of musicians who were well known as individuals or came from well established groups. Most of those you listed don't meet that definition. I first heard that term applied to Cream.

Certainly Cream, followed by CSNY and Blind Faith are the earliest ones of significance that I am aware of. Probably any band where they use their names or initials to form the band name.

I have a copy of this album in the basement that I have listened to 0-1 times.

Interesting that Clapton was part of two of those.

Clapton was involved in some very short-lived supergroups as well. For example Dirty Mac (Clapton, Lennon, Keith Richards, Mitch Mitchell), and one of the early incarnations of the Plastic Ono Band.

Dirty Mac lasted for exactly one song. The early incarnation of the Plastic Ono Band with Clapton lasted an entire concert.

Clapton was involved in quite a few super groups that lasted a single concert, or a short tour.
For example, he was part of the super group that performed at the Concert for Bangladesh, including George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Bob Dylan and others. He was also one of the organizers for the Concert for George, including Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison, and others.
Some of the other musicians who have played in super group concerts with Clapton include Phil Collins and Elton John.

Asia wasn't even the first progressive rock supergroup. That would be ELP.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Igor wrote:I have a copy of this album in the basement that I have listened to 0-1 times.

Can't say I've ever heard this one although I've been enjoying my mid '70s Robin Trower LPs recently after years of not pulling them out -- and Bill Lordan was the drummer on most of those too -- so I can't imagine how adding Jack Bruce would make me like it less.

Clapton's always been happy to be a sideman, so no surprise he's shown up in so many different contexts.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am

AC/DC. Aerosmith. Kiss (but good costumes).

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

I'm glad I saw Trower at the Barrymore a couple years ago. He still has "it" at about 70 years old. It was a mesmerizing performance.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

I'm glad I saw Trower at the Barrymore a couple years ago. He still has "it" at about 70 years old. It was a mesmerizing performance.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am

Shorty wrote:AC/DC. Aerosmith. Kiss

Is your plan to just list random band names in the hope you'll hit a supergroup eventually?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 am

I don't think Shorty believed my definition of a supergroup, so I went to Wiki, whose definition is the same as mine.

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Sonny and Cher (only they did it backwards by being in a supergroup FIRST and THEN getting famous, though in Sonny's case, the fame came from a bad Congressional term and then a bad interaction with a tree.)

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Yep and I'm not sure Cream really fit the definition either. But Cream certainly launched the term when they disbanded and Clapton/Baker joined Winwood (from Spencer Davis Group and Traffic) to form Blind Faith..then shortly thereafter, Crosby (Byrds) Stills & Young (Buffalo Springfield) and Nash (The Hollies) became the big supergroup. Sure, there have been some all-star-laden bands since then, but none quite as "super";)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:23 am

david cohen wrote:I'm not sure Cream really fit the definition either.

Sure they did. All three members were already known properties. Clapton from his work with the Yardbirds and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and Bruce and Baker from The Graham Bond Organisation. While in The U.S. most people have at least heard of The Yardbirds -- they did have six Top 40 singles from 1965-1966 although Clapton was gone after their very first taste of fame ("For Your Love") -- neither Mayall nor Graham Bond ever had much impact stateside, but all of those groups were pretty well known across the pond. So unless you define supergroup in strictly American terms, I think Cream's as good a candidate as anyone.
(Fun fact: Graham Bond later ended up in a supergroup himself when he joined Ginger Baker's Air Force, which also featured Steve Winwood and Ric Grech -- who btw, prior to Blind Faith had been in Family, another group Brits would've known that Yanks did not -- as well as Denny Laine [formerly of the original, pre-orchestral Moody Blues, soon to be of Wings.])

That said, I think there may be one earlier candidate (and when I went to check their membership, was glad to see Wikipedia agreed.) That'd be Steampacket, comprised of folks who'd been members of Blues Incorporated, The Cyril Davies R&B All-Stars, The Hoochie Coochie Men, Brian Auger's Trinity, and The Echoes (as well as other even more obscure groups.) Again, judged solely from an American perspective, those bands illicit reactions of "Who?", but British blues, R&B, and jazz fans would've likely known most or all of them and while only Rod Stewart went on to major international stardom, I think many in-the-know music fans even today are familiar with Long John Baldry, Brian Auger, and Julie Driscoll, at least by name. The one thing that prevents me from insisting they count is their most famous (and best) work came after the supposed supergroup, and that seems backwards to me.
(Fun fact: Steampacket -- sometimes Steam Packet, sometimes The Steampacket -- never got to officially record, as Long John Baldry and Rod Stewart had separate managers and Baldry was already signed as a solo artist to United Artists. This prevented the band's manager [yes, we're now up to three managers] from getting a contract for the band. The thwarted manager? Giorgio Gomelsky, one of rock's great non-musicians. For some time, he was running The Crawdaddy Club, an R&B venue which was instrumental in launching The Rolling Stones when they had a residency there in 1963. The Stones were followed by The Yardbirds, who Gomelsky went on to manage and produce. He also had a hand in nurturing The Animals and Soft Machine. He introduced The Beatles to The Stones. He founded an influential PR firm as well as Marmalade and much later Zu, two independent recording labels. He eventually moved to France where he worked with Gong and Magma, then ended up in NY by the '80s, were he hooked up with Bill Laswell to produce some early Material sides. He died just last year.)

As for CSN&Y, they never gave him official billing but their drummer from 1970-1972 (he plays on 4 Way Street as well as solo records from that era by all four members) was John Barbata, who'd been in The Turtles. He eventually wound up in the final (and admittedly mostly worthless) incarnation of The Jefferson Airplane -- during one of the periodic snits where various CSNYs weren't speaking to one another, I reckon -- and stuck with them when they morphed into Jefferson Starship. But don't hold that against him -- he was a great drummer and The Turtles were a fantastic band, so I think he deserves mention when "supergrouping" CSN&Y.
(Fun fact: During the CSNY era, David Geffen tried to get Barbata to join some new band that was coming together out of session work -- which Barbata also dabbled in -- called the Eagles; he declined, seeing as he was already in one of the biggest groups going.)

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 am

I would say Damn Yankees on principle except dang if their signature single "High Enough" isn't catchy. Demerits for the drum sound.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 am

Speaking of John Mayall. Prof, would consider Fleetwood Mac a supergroup?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:32 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Speaking of John Mayall. Prof, would consider Fleetwood Mac a supergroup?
Nah.
While true that Fleetwood, McVie, and original guitarist Peter Green all got their start with Mayall, I've never had the impression they were already famous when they formed Mac (although being neither British nor old enough to have been there, perhaps I'm wrong on that count) and second guitarist Jeremy Spencer was completely unknown. Christine Perfect (later McVie) was probably more famous than any of them, having enjoyed some (again, only British) success in Chicken Shack, but she wouldn't technically become a member til album number three.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah I guess I was looking at the term "Supergroup" too tightly. Graham Bond didn't get much exposure in the state but was huge in the UK.

Return to “General Music”