Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Do you like SMOKE FREE shows as much as I do?

Yes
12
48%
No
13
52%
 
Total votes: 25

Tara
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby Tara » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 pm

...refreshing! I went to a CD release party and show for Stephanie Rearick at Cafe Montmartre on April 14th. The show was SMOKE FREE and I really appreciated it when I got home and didn't have to wash my hair 3 times to get the stench out. Also, being an ex-smoker, I wasn't even tempted to "bum a cigarette" from someone. Thank you Cafe Montmartre! I look forward to seeing the Faun Fables with Stephanie Rearick, another SMOKE FREE show at the Momo on Tuesday, May 3rd at 8pm!

superman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:25 am
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby superman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:43 pm

they're all gonna be smoke-free soon enough.

dtray2064
Forum Addict
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Postby dtray2064 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:49 pm

GOOD

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:29 am

I'm not gonna weigh-in on the whole smoking/non debate 'cause I feel bad for that horse corpse, but ...

If you need to wash your hair three times to get the smoke stank out, you really ought to look into a new brand of shampoo.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:56 am

Or stop wearing that ash tray costume. It's too realistic!!!

jhain
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby jhain » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:35 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:I'm not gonna weigh-in on the whole smoking/non debate 'cause I feel bad for that horse corpse, but ...


It doesn't really matter whether you are for or against, the fact is that there is a market for it. We have a lot of music regulars at Mother Fool's who just don't go to see music they want to b/c of the smoke.

Montmartre has been really great to work with on this.

I'm interested to see how the ban affects live music. Certainly, it will put my little venue into more direct competition, which, they tell me, is a good thing..

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:39 pm

jhain wrote:I'm interested to see how the ban affects live music. Certainly, it will put my little venue into more direct competition, which, they tell me, is a good thing..

And despite my rude remarks to you last week, I hope that works for you. Seriously. The more viable venues the better.

Just don't book my band. We're a bunch of fuckin' troublemakers.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby jhain » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Just don't book my band. We're a bunch of fuckin' troublemakers.


Thanks for the tip.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:59 pm

jhain wrote:Thanks for the tip.

Actually, can I get change back for that?

Mister Blues
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby Mister Blues » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:08 pm

jhain wrote:It doesn't really matter whether you are for or against, the fact is that there is a market for it.


If there is a market for it then why is it that no one has opened a smoke free bar? Why is it that it takes an act of government to make it happen?

Even if there is a market for it does that change the fact that there is a market for smoke filled bars?

I like your place Jon, but to be completely honest, the reason I usually get my coffee to go is because I can't have a smoke there.

Mister Blues
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Postby Mister Blues » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:09 pm

dtray2064 wrote:GOOD


Bad

jhain
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby jhain » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Mister Blues wrote:
jhain wrote:It doesn't really matter whether you are for or against, the fact is that there is a market for it.


If there is a market for it then why is it that no one has opened a smoke free bar? Why is it that it takes an act of government to make it happen?


I don't know. I wanted to open a smoke-free alcohol based venue but was unable to find an appropriate space. I wish someone would have tried it (The Chamber used to have smoke-free shows sometimes which were always packed) -- maybe then it wouldn't have ended up being legislated.

Mister Blues wrote:Even if there is a market for it does that change the fact that there is a market for smoke filled bars?


of course.. what's your point? there is a market for both.

Mister Blues wrote:I like your place Jon, but to be completely honest, the reason I usually get my coffee to go is because I can't have a smoke there.


I'm glad you patronize us but really, no coffeehouse is Madison allows smoking. It's the law.

Mister Blues
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby Mister Blues » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:37 pm

jhain wrote:I don't know. I wanted to open a smoke-free alcohol based venue but was unable to find an appropriate space. I wish someone would have tried it (The Chamber used to have smoke-free shows sometimes which were always packed) -- maybe then it wouldn't have ended up being legislated.


I doubt that. Even if there were several successful smoke free bars I think the ban would have still happened.

jhain wrote:
Mister Blues wrote:Even if there is a market for it does that change the fact that there is a market for smoke filled bars?


of course.. what's your point? there is a market for both.


I don't believe that there is a realistic market for smoke free bars. It cannot be denied there is a market for smoke filled ones. This legislation only serves to interfere with the market to satisfy a small special interest group.

jhain wrote:
Mister Blues wrote:I like your place Jon, but to be completely honest, the reason I usually get my coffee to go is because I can't have a smoke there.


I'm glad you patronize us but really, no coffeehouse is Madison allows smoking. It's the law.


I know that. If you could smoke in a coffee house I would hang out in them more often. Back home you can smoke in a coffee house and when I'm there, I do.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:22 am
Contact:

Re: Cafe Montmartre's Non-Smoking shows are soooooooo.....

Postby bobbyray » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Mister Blues wrote:
I don't believe that there is a realistic market for smoke free bars.


There are a whole lot of wealthy bar owners in California who would probably disagree with you here.

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby madt0wn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm going to try and dig up this article I read and post it here. Someone did a study on bars and restaurants on the East and West coasts regarding the effect of the smoking bans there. The vast majority of businesses enjoyed increased profits with the ban in effect.

"NO SMOKE, DRINK!!!!"


Return to “Madison Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests