I wish bands would stop......

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

do you think the pay to play idea is legit?

yes
13%
no
58%
if hell were freeezing over
29%

Total votes: 24

James Douglas

I wish bands would stop......

Postby James Douglas » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm

acting like they are opening for national acts at the Rave when they in fact have payed for those spots. They are technically opening I do realize this but they were not invited nor did they have to have any credibility. Stop selling yourself with bullsh*t.

-sorry I had to get it off my chest somewhere.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:50 pm

No, but do you think the music industry is legit?

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:40 pm

I wish bands would stop thinking they should be able to tell other bands what they are doing is wrong, etc, except when it comes down to 'get your fucking gear off that stage, the show is running late enough as it is' or 'Is that your power cable? I don't think it is, buddy'.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I wish bands would stop......

Postby NullDevice » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:07 pm

James Douglas wrote:acting like they are opening for national acts at the Rave when they in fact have payed for those spots. They are technically opening I do realize this but they were not invited nor did they have to have any credibility. Stop selling yourself with bullsh*t.

I agree, especially since they're getting fleeced pretty bad. They're paying, what $400 to get a slot not even for the band, but in the bar downstairs, hours before the doors actually open. Few people show up 3 hours in advance of a show to watch some local bands they never heard of in the wrong room.

except when it comes down to 'get your fucking gear off that stage, the show is running late enough as it is'

Also agreed, usually. Sometimes it's unavoidable that things'll screw up and it won't be the other band's fault, and standing there stomping your feet and whining that the headliner's soundcheck is taking too long (because the soundguy miswired the mixing board or something) is just unprofessional.

What I can't stand are noodlers. It's soundcheck or teardown or setup or whatever...put down the damn guitar, stop tyring to show off your badass queensryche licks, and help carry something.

Now, my main peeve is primma-donna-ism, which is unavoidable but nevertheless annoying. We're all here to put on a show. You may be the headliner, you may be an opening act, but I don't care who the hell you are, you're here to do a job and whining that the bottled water in the greenroom is the wrong brand or that the stage lights are too hot or the band from baltimore drank all the free beer during soundcheck...well, that's not helping anyone. Get over it and go play.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I wish bands would stop......

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:54 pm

NullDevice wrote:
What I can't stand are noodlers. It's soundcheck or teardown or setup or whatever...put down the damn guitar, stop tyring to show off your badass queensryche licks, and help carry something.

LOL! That's usually a sure sign that the band will suck.

NullDevice wrote:Now, my main peeve is primma-donna-ism, which is unavoidable but nevertheless annoying. We're all here to put on a show. You may be the headliner, you may be an opening act, but I don't care who the hell you are, you're here to do a job and whining that the bottled water in the greenroom is the wrong brand or that the stage lights are too hot or the band from baltimore drank all the free beer during soundcheck...well, that's not helping anyone. Get over it and go play.

Dude, you play with some fucking pussies. Anyone ever sai, "oh the stage lights are too hot" I'd fucking smack 'em.

James Douglas

Postby James Douglas » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 pm

yo stepbro....a lttle touchy my friend? have you been "fleeced" for one of these slots....or are you still in line for a fleecing?

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:54 pm

I stand by my original post and will only punctuate it with 'mind your own business'.

Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:28 pm

Stepbrother wrote:I stand by my original post and will only punctuate it with 'mind your own business'.

:shock:

at least that answers his question. . .

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 pm

listen up. no. driver13 has never played at the Rave. we have been offerred the 'chance' to do what you're talking about, but haven't, mmmmkay?

does this mean I don't have friends who have done it and it's been good for them, paying for exposure, making their money back because they bust ass unlike half the fucking bands in this town who don't even casually mention to friends they are playing somewhere let alone sell tickets in advance for a show? I have actually heard NO horror stories in person about bands getting treated like shit for doing these shows EXCEPT for seeing all this unprofessional smack talk on this fucking forum, hell, people in bands I talk to actually have all come out AHEAD from doing these shows, selling merch, making new connects, even making a profit off the ticket sales, getting to play at a different place AND getting to see the headlining act for all the work in the first place?

I don't see us doing this anytime soon, i'm just sick of seeing so many fucking smarmy motherfuckers online dissing something they will never do. So your band won't be playing the Rave, I don't fucking care. Don't diss my friends and call them chumps because they are grabbing their musical careers by the fucking balls by any means necessary.

god I really wish I didn't have to explain myself in depth anytime I have something to say on this fucking forum.
:evil:

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:58 pm

by the way, as long as I'm on a rant, I honesty think everyone of you here is a douchebag, except for Flat Atom, MLE, DroidsAttack, Supaunknown, Superman, JTSmack, That Shick Guy In The Fuck Off And Die Band, blunt, the Sunspot reps, and some of the cats here who'll actually listen to something other than bad rock music like Christopher Robin and pulsewidth modulation. oh yeah, Jake and everyone at wort is cool too.

I've missed a couple of you, i know, but if I've met with you in person over a beer or at a show, you're probably ok in my book. if you're some cuntbag elitist who likes to write weak shit or say weak shit about me and my associates for the things we do to stay on our life paths of making music that annoys the living fuck out of you, i truly wish your west side home or willy street crackhouse catches on fire along with every last strand of pubic hair on your body. you're the reason madison isn't taken seriously in the music business, for you've been whining for fucking years on our behalf and the rest of the country has heard you: madison, it's a nice place to visit, but nothing there will survive when brought out into the real world.

Last edited by Stepbrother on Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:05 pm

Stepbrother wrote:by the way, as long as I'm on a rant, I honesty think everyone of you here is a douchebag, except for Flat Atom, MLE, DroidsAttack, Supaunknown, Superman, JTSmack, Blunt, That Shick Guy In The Fuck Off And Die Band, blunt, and some of the cats here who'll actually listen to something other bad rock music like Christopher Robin and pulsewidth modulation. oh yeah, Jake and everyone at wort is cool too.

I've missed a couple of you, i know, but if I've met with you in person over a beer or at a show, you're probably ok in my book. if you're some cuntbag who likes to write weak shit or say weak shit about me and my associates for the things we do to stay on our life paths of making music that annoys the living fuck out of you, i truly wish your west side home or willy street crackhouse catches on fire along with every last strand of pubic hair on your body.

:shock: :shock:

Dude, just let it out...it's okay to let everyone know what you think...

Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:06 pm

Stepbrother wrote:god I really wish I didn't have to explain myself in depth anytime I have something to say on this fucking forum.
:evil:

By the way, you don't. Try blowing it off. It might save you some needless frustration. 8)

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:31 pm

I stand by my orignal assertion: anyone who pays the Rave $400 is totally fucking

a) moronic

or

b) delusional.

RAVE = MOB = ???

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:00 am

regnad_kcin wrote:I stand by my orignal assertion: anyone who pays the Rave $400 is totally fucking

a) moronic

or

b) delusional.

RAVE = MOB = ???

I would say a better comparison is it's like being fronted nominal amounts of pot: you have a limited amount of time to distribute it, have to keep track of all of it or else money is coming out of your pocket, and you're basically busting your ass to keep your own buzz going, for better or worse.

i would never go so far as to insult bands who are willing to do it though, as many of you here do. it's their own business, some of these bands would never get access to some of these potential fans without these opportunities.

shit, if there was more in the band fund for stuff like this instead of mostly being for renting practice space and u-hauls and studio time, we'd probably do this if the right headliner came around, i remember we played at luther's a while back and sold like 50 tickets ourselves, the only difference was that we were the headliner, but it's basically the same deal.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:23 pm

I'm sure some bands do come out ahead at the rave, but I'd wager a lot of bands don't, and if you want exposure in Milwaukee you can probably do just as well by legging it through other clubs in the area. Because of the sheer number of acts they cram into the bar-slots, you're really on the luck-of-the-draw. The guys playing at 8 for a 9pm show probably do better than the guys playing at 6.

Then again I have a lousy view of the Rave's management so I might be biased.

Also, yeah, we have played with some total pussies. I've seen plenty of bands complain about the lights being too hot. But then we *do* play with a lot of synthpop bands...these aren't always the most hardcore individuals. Strangely the worst was a nu-metal/aggro/something band (they did a lot of Ministry covers) we played with out on the east coast. You'd think guys with skulls on their mic stands could handle a little humidity...

Return to “Madison Music”