Kris Kristofferson

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Kris Kristofferson

Postby MPMay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

We went to see Kris at the Capitol Theater at Overture on Sunday last (3/26). I went with my wife The Irish Mist (Yes!), and three of my sisters, so I had a little harem. We ate at Cento before the show (Quick review: Good food, portions too large; order a meal to share; good wine; not cheap).

I would describe Kris's performance as a poignant show, good but not great, but we all left with a sweet nostalgic feeling, and a few misty eyes.

I don't have the setlist from Madison, but it was pretty close to this one from a show in Dallas last year.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kris-kris ... d4c31.html

It becomes a little overwhelming as he sings song after great song that he has written and that were a part of our past lives. The crowd was older, but I was a little surprised at how many younger folks were there. The Capitol was, if not a sellout, darn close.

We had really good seats, first row in the balcony, where you are close but nothing in front of you. Kris is really old -- 80 years old -- and he gave a really simple concert. No backup. No chair or stool. He comes out with his guitar and harpoon and starts to play and keeps playing. We were amazed with all the great stories he's told with his music, and he really is a storyteller.

Didn't do much audience interaction -- "Hello Madison" and a few little asides -- and he often would get through 2 or 3 verses of a song and you could tell he decided, "That's enough," and he'd stop and say "Thank you." Then he'd go into the next song.

He has a really craggy face and a ton of hair for an old man. His voice isn't what it once was, which was never great, but there was something really moving about seeing this old guy who I've admired for years just get up and do what he does.

When he did his encore, which was "Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends", I and I think a lot of folks in the house got a little tear in our eye as he intoned the first lines of the song:

"This could be our last good night together
We may never pass this way again
Just let me enjoy 'till its over
Or forever
Please don't tell me how the story ends"

Very glad I got to see him before he's gone.

Return to “Madison Music”