Boston at Breese Stevens Field, May 26

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Boston at Breese Stevens Field, May 26

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

$226 for VIP tickets sounds fun. Includes All-you-can-drink Pepsi products and bottled water.

"Frank Productions, True Endeavors, Majestic Live & Breese Stevens Field Present

101.5 WIBA-FM Madison VAN’S SUMMER JAM
Boston: Hyper Space Tour
Breese Stevens Field – Madison, WI
With Special Guest SIMO
FRIDAY, May 26th 2017
Doors 5:00pm || Show 6:30pm
All Ages
Rain or Shine

-TICKETS-
$46 - General Admission
$76 - Gold Circle General Admission
$226 - VIP

Tickets may be purchased online at Ticketmaster.com, by phone at 800-745-8000, at the Coliseum Box Office, and all Ticketmaster locations.

VIP EXPERIENCE:
- Concert ticket admission in the Gold Circle & VIP Area.
- Exclusive access to the VIP tented party area featuring many high
- Top tables for a relaxed atmosphere.
- All-you-can-eat for the duration of the concert at four different culinary stations.
- Three alcoholic beverages, served by our bartending staff.
- An assortment of craft and domestic packaged beer, malt beverages, wine and cocktails will be available.
- All-you-can-drink Pepsi products and bottled water. "

PERMITTED AND PROHIBITED ITEMS: http://breesestevensfield.com/boston-hyper-space-tour/

Boston http://bandboston.com/
SIMO http://www.simo.fm/simohome/

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Boston at Breese Stevens Field, May 26

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 pm

The only thing keeping a lot of these old bands around is they get SO much more money per ticket than they did in the old days.

i still remember paying $1.50 for a King Crimson concert. I think my brother had to shell out an outrageous $7 for tickets to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour.

In those days, the tours were a way to generate publicity to make money off the albums. Now it's the other way around.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:32 pm

The last time I paid under ten bucks for a national act was when I saw Bob Marley at the Coliseum on his Babylon By Bus tour. Tickets were only $9.50 and I still have the stub. Have a lot of stories about that show.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Okay: my first concert, Curry Hicks Cage at UMass Amherst, December 1969. Jethro Tull, Spooky Tooth, and Johnny Winter with Edgar. Three dollars and fifty cents. Tull got lost in the snowstorm and started late. Ian was pissed off and said we were in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Even figuring everything costs ten times what it did then, concert prices are still high. I'm thinking it's because there's so many ways to download cheap or free music now that they're trying to make it up with concert sales but still. Seems like going to the Boston concert is a way to show the masses that your discretionary income is yuuuuge.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I saw Tull about 35 years after that. It was at a free summer music festival in Germany, Das Fest. There were two headliners, one for each night. I think Faithless was the other one. So, one night the young people went to Faithless, while I was sightseeing, and the other night the old fogies went to see Tull.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Cadfael wrote:Ian was pissed off and said we were in the middle of fucking nowhere.
Well, he was wrong, wasn't he? The fact is, only he was in the middle of nowhere.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:17 pm

You guys have some impressive memories. I can't remember what I paid for the last show I went to, let alone the first. Which was Billy Joel at the Coliseum in the mid-70's.

Cadfael wrote:Seems like going to the Boston concert is a way to show the masses that your discretionary income is yuuuuge.

Put into perspective, $46 for general admission isn't so out of whack. You could easily spend that for dinner at a nice restaurant.

Or one half of a so-so pair of shoes.

30 minutes or less in the front row at Silk. (Speaking from life experience, not direct)

Personally, I could kill that in a couple hours of drinking at a mid-priced bar.

The VIP price seems a little much, but I have seen some people drink an awful lot of Pepsi.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:30 pm

I can remember sending $5. special delivery, to Triangle Productions,Chicago, to see the Beatles (front row!) in '66...

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

narcoleptish wrote:You guys have some impressive memories. I can't remember what I paid for the last show I went to, let alone the first. Which was Billy Joel at the Coliseum in the mid-70's.

Cadfael wrote:Seems like going to the Boston concert is a way to show the masses that your discretionary income is yuuuuge.

Put into perspective, $46 for general admission isn't so out of whack. You could easily spend that for dinner at a nice restaurant.

Point. I spoke too soon. That's not out of the park. Prices were a little lower at UMass because it was student prices, other concerts in that time were about five bucks, which makes general admission fit into the ten times more rule of thumb.

Were you the one who remembers Billy Joel at the Stock Pavilion? The one where he sang "the microphone smells like a steer!"? I really wish I'd caught that one.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 am

No, I saw him at the Coliseum. I was a kid and my sister took me.

I've only seen one show at the Stock Pavilion. L7 sometime in the mid-90's. No idea what the ticket cost.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 am

narcoleptish wrote:I've only seen one show at the Stock Pavilion.

I also only saw one show there (that I remember). John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra with Jean-Luc Ponty in the 70s. Ticket was probably around five bucks.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am

I saw Ponty's solo act a few times.
Once I paid $8 to a scalper for front row seats at the Tower Theater outside Philadelphia

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote: I think my brother had to shell out an outrageous $7 for tickets to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour.

If it was the summer of '75 at Milwaukee County Stadium it was $7.50. I still have my ticket stub. It was the most (by a good 2 bucks) I had ever paid for a concert ticket.

Henry, I have my ticket stub from a 1979 Bob Marley show at the Coliseum. It was a theater presentation with big curtains strung up closing off about 2/3's of the place. $9.00 but I won my tickets from 101.5 by calling in and answering a trivia question. Name the 3 original Wailers. I think it was probably the same show you saw.

I also saw Boston at a sold out Coliseum in 1976/77. I'm not sure how they managed to play a full set since they still only had the 1st album out at that time.

I was a little obsessive about saving my ticket stubs. I still have pretty much all of them.

$25 the other night for the California Guitar Trio at High Noon was a very good value.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:17 pm

My brother saw them at Radio City Music Hall in NYC in spring 1973. His friends were all fans, and none had ever heard a song from Dark Side of the Moon before that concert. Not yet released in the US.
Different enough from their earlier stuff that made them all complain.

A few weeks earlier he saw Chicago at Madison Square Garden. My brother and his friends hated the opening act. Some guy from Asbury Park named Bruce something.

The biggest pleasant surprise of that summer was at a free performance of As You Like It in Central Park. There are Elizabethan songs in the play. A young unknown actor named Meat Loaf sang the songs. Blew us away. Had the most amazing voice I ever heard.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 pm

mifflander wrote:
Henry, I have my ticket stub from a 1979 Bob Marley show at the Coliseum. It was a theater presentation with big curtains strung up closing off about 2/3's of the place. $9.00 but I won my tickets from 101.5 by calling in and answering a trivia question. Name the 3 original Wailers. I think it was probably the same show you saw.

Yes, same show. And I just rechecked my ticket stub and it was only nine bucks, not the nine and a half that I originally posted.

I think the only other time Marley played Madison was earlier at the Orpheum in support of his Kaya album. A friend saw him, but unfortunately I missed it. He was supposed to play the Coliseum again, but his cancer overtook him and he passed away.

Return to “Madison Music”