Opera in the Park, July 23

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Opera in the Park, July 23

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:26 am

I wonder if they will be able to fit this in between storms. Blankets out early may get soaked.

http://madisonopera.org/performances-2015-2016/park/
Opera in the Park
Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8 p.m. | Garner Park | Free Admission (rain date: Sunday, July 24, 8 p.m.)

Opera in the Park, Madison Opera’s gift to the community, is a night like no other. In beautiful Garner Park, the stars come out in the sky, the light sticks glow in the audience, and singers from our mainstage season share their favorite opera and Broadway numbers. Now in its 15th year, it is quite literally a night like no other. Come join 15,000 of your neighbors for a Madison summer tradition.

Performed by the outstanding talents of the Madison Opera Chorus, the Madison Symphony Orchestra, and some of opera’s brightest stars, Opera in the Park is a FREE community event perfect for audiences of ALL ages!

Soloists
Soprano - Emily Birsan
Soprano - Angela Brown*

Mezzo-Soprano - Kelsey Park
Tenor - Scott Quinn*
Baritone - Sidney Outlaw*
* Madison Opera debut

Conducted by Gary Thor Wedow
Concert will last approx. 2 hours; including 1 intermission

Join Madison Opera for the 15th anniversary of Opera in the Park on Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8pm. Garner Park opens at 7am the day of the concert. Blankets, chairs, food and beverages are allowed.

Want to volunteer? Madison Opera needs many volunteers throughout the day and evening in order to make the concert a success. Send us an email to get more information, or fill out the volunteer form online.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Opera in the Park, July 23

Postby Donald » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 pm

This is a great event. We've been there numerous times to get our summer opera fix. It's not real opera, of course, but it does give you a taste. They've added Broadway show tunes in recent years, too, if that's your thing. We may go, but we're not interested in dodging storms or sweating out a heat wave.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Beaver wrote:I wonder if they will be able to fit this in between storms. Blankets out early may get soaked.

Do people actually put out blankets for that? We show up with lawn chairs every year sometime between 15-45 before showtime, and always find a good seat.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 pm

I've never been but it says "Blankets, chairs, food and beverages are allowed". Postponed to Sunday. Hope they have better luck. But think of the mosquitoes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:26 pm

Beaver wrote:I've never been but it says "Blankets, chairs, food and beverages are allowed". Postponed to Sunday. Hope they have better luck. But think of the mosquitoes.

Why? Don't mosquitoes like opera?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 pm

gargantua wrote:Don't mosquitoes like opera?

Well, they don't have ears, so I imagine they like it quite a bit more than I do.
Take that, opera!

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 am

I drove past at around 9:00 Saturday morning. The field in front of the stage was already filled with blankets. I was thinking about all those blankets as I watched our rain gauge fill up yesterday afternoon...

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
gargantua wrote:Don't mosquitoes like opera?

Well, they don't have ears, so I imagine they like it quite a bit more than I do.
Take that, opera!

Opera hurts my ears.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I drove past at around 9:00 Saturday morning. The field in front of the stage was already filled with blankets. I was thinking about all those blankets as I watched our rain gauge fill up yesterday afternoon...

T'was a great night. No mosquitos, just a few dragonflys.

I think a lot of the "blankets" you saw were probably tarps.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Nice show as usual. The one clunker to my ears was a selection from Yardbird - an opera about Charlie Parker. Singer was great - the song not so much IMO.

Return to “Madison Music”