The English Beat 05122016

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

The English Beat 05122016

Postby john_titor » Fri May 13, 2016 12:35 am

1. You can never go home again.
2. Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right.

ISTHMUS PICK

Thursday, May 12, High Noon Saloon, 8 pm

One of the most beloved bands of ska’s second wave, the English Beat (or simply the Beat in their native country) returns to Madison with original singer and guitarist Dave Wakeling at the helm. Expect a set packed with the band’s hits, as well as a few cuts from General Public, the new wave band Wakeling formed with former Beat bandmate Ranking Roger. Opening is long-running Milwaukee ska crew Something to Do.

Even though the show was billed to start at the early hour of eight, I am old and have to work tomorrow. I was reluctant to buy tickets, as I might be asleep by then. I like sleep. So I put off buying tickets. I read a few concert reviews today and they seem to have sold out a few places. I tried throughout the day to hit the website and see if it would tell me anything about the show being sold out. It did not. Until seven pm when it said tickets were now only available at the door. I got a little freaked I wouldn't be able to get in. I drove out there regardless and got in. Maybe they just close online ticket sales an hour before the show? I don't know.

The opening band was pretty good. The lead singer has the voice that seemed well-trained and sounding like green day guy. I would have liked it a bit more rapido, but I like that you are skinny and remind me of an young unexplored Joe Strummer.

Did the High Noon reduce their number of taps? It seemed like it. They took out the stools by the one bar. It was crowded. I had to park a long way away.

The crowd was odd. I would say 90 percent men, 10 percent woman. I would guess the average age ~ 52. Most of the men seemed to be there solo. Myself included. The Beat weren't that big, one really needed to search them out, so I assumed those that were not dragged there would have a very interesting story about their relationship with the band. I wish I could have interviewed people there.

So it was only Dave Wakeling. I guess Ranking Roger has another band called the Beat that tours as well. Roger was as much of the sound as Dave, but Dave seems to be more the pastrami to Roger's mustard. So only having Dave wasn't that bad.

So I keep going to see these shows from bands from a long time ago. I have yet to say "that was much better than I remember it". Mostly it is sad and reminds me of death.

I also feel bad when I think about these people having to play a bunch of songs that I would assume they have to be sick of after 30 years. I think the Beat have a new album out, but I don't want to hear that. I want the old stuff. And that's what they played. They maybe played around three songs I did not know, so I assume those are form the new album. But it felt, a little dance for me monkey weird.

Here is a setlist from a show on May 7 - I think it is pretty much the same:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-engli ... 17034.html

Rough Rider
(Prince Buster cover)
The Tears of a Clown
(Smokey Robinson & The Miracles cover)
Twist and Crawl
Hands Off...She's Mine / Children of the Moon Tide
Rude Boy Skank
I'll Take You There
(General Public cover)
I Confess
Save It For Later
Alright Now
Whine & Grine/Stand Down Margaret
Too Nice to Talk To
Can't Get Used to Losing You
(Andy Williams cover)
The Love You Give Lasts Forever
Tenderness
(General Public cover)
Ranking Full Stop
Mirror in the Bathroom
Jamaica Farewell

Crowd favorites seemed to be save it for later and tenderness. I would love to have heard Jeanette. And Saxa. And Roger while I am at it.

It is never the same, the leisurely pace of twist and crawl tonight proved it. We all get old including Farmer Ted, who reminded me of Dave. I should deal with it, but I won't.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The English Beat 05122016

Postby HawkHead » Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 am

I wish I had known about this. I certainly would have gone.

About 15 years ago I was dating a woman whose best friend's husband was a roadie for The English Beat back in the day. General Public was playing in Chicago so we stayed at her best friend's house for the weekend and went to the concert. We went way early and heard the sound check. We went out to dinner with the band. We hung out backstage (which was downstairs in the venue) with the guys during the opening band and drank beers. Then we all went up stairs and got to stay backstage for the performance. It was fantastic. I still have the backstage pass in my memorabilia box.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 am

john_titor wrote:The opening band was pretty good. The lead singer has the voice that seemed well-trained and sounding like green day guy.

That fella is none other than TDPF's own rrnate!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri May 13, 2016 10:41 am

john_titor wrote:So it was only Dave Wakeling. I guess Ranking Roger has another band called the Beat that tours as well. Roger was as much of the sound as Dave, but Dave seems to be more the pastrami to Roger's mustard. So only having Dave wasn't that bad.

I thought it was REALLY bad only having Dave... not because Dave wasn't great (he can still nail the high bits in I Confess), but because of how pitchy the RR replacement was. Gak.

We saw the English Beat at Majestic two years ago, and they were FANTASTIC. Last night was quite a comedown from that. Low energy, not very tight, everybody except maybe Dave seemed to be off their game.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the sound level was too low, lower than for Something to Do. Speaking of, I'd go see them again for sure... fun, great energy, I didn't even mind that the horns were a little loose. Thanks, rrnate!

I'm glad we went. We had a table upstairs, so our investment wasn't too high, and we still got in a fair bit of dancing. But I won't go again.

Side note: don't know how much Beyoncé/English Beat crossover there is, but for me it was a little trippy hearing Can't Get Used To Losing You when I'm currently obsessed with Hold Up.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 pm

I totally meant to comment on the volume. I felt the same way!

That was rrnate! Awesome!

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri May 13, 2016 1:18 pm

I saw them about 5 or 6 years ago at a free show in downtown San Jose, and I thought they did a great show. Yeah, I'd love to see RR join up with Dave W, but I doubt that will happen.

But you have to be right about him being sick of playing those songs for the 10,000th time.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Just saw the Cure a few weeks ago. Awesome. Four encores. Kinda creepy seeing 50 year old guys singing along to "Boys Don't Cry".

Taking the little lady to see Duran Duran in Camden NJ in July.

Lotsa good 80s music this summer.

Return to “Madison Music”