Guitarist Alert: JD Simo at Atwood Fest this Saturday

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Guitarist Alert: JD Simo at Atwood Fest this Saturday

Postby david cohen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Oh Henry;) Just search youtube...I am curious, however, what a pair of 1967 Marshall Plexis with 2 half stacks might sound like inside a Qdoba!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 pm

david cohen wrote:Oh Henry;) I am curious, however, what a pair of 1967 Marshall Plexis with 2 half stacks might sound like inside a Qdoba!

Curiosity killed the cat. But we need to ask Stanley to be sure.

It certainly killed my hearing (or at least part of it). Three causes.

First: working in a metal fabrication factory during my late teens/early twenties, climbing into and grinding the burrs off of large bronze cylinders. Before OSHA. No ear projection. Church bells are made of bronze.

Second: general quarters station under our ship's big guns when they fired. Very loud. No ear protection. My duty was to seal off the big gun's magazine in case of a fire. Dog and lock the entry hatch and activate the CO2
system to put out any fire. (My ship was a fast combat support ship, over eight hundred feet of fuel and explosives). That would have also killed all my fellow sailors trapped in the magazine.

Third: too many very loud rock concerts. Some in small clubs standing stupidly close to the amps. Others in larger venues in assigned seats. Two that stand out include one of the first in the then newly revamped Civic Center. Jimmy Cliff and Peter Tosh. We sat in view of the sound board and everything was pegged at 10 during Tosh's set. The other was Journey (Ms Vilas is a fan) at the Orpheum. Could have blasted out an outdoor venue. When Aynsley Dunbar banged his two bass drums, I could feel the pounding in my chest and saw waves ripple through the large cup of Coke that she was holding.

Sorry for the hijack.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:34 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I see he is playing at a Qdoba in Waukesha on Aug. 6. I guess musicians gets their gigs where they can.

Not exactly a pizza parlor methinks...

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:21 pm

SIMO is back in town Wednesday October 7th at the High Noon if you missed them at Atwood Fest:)

Return to “Madison Music”