Richard Davis, the face of the bass

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
BetsyHaynes

Richard Davis, the face of the bass

Postby BetsyHaynes » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 am

I have known and admired Richard Davis since the early 70's! He just gets better and more articulate with age! In my family, we take full credit for him coming to Madison and UW! I was from CT, but ended up at UW-Madison, because of some good advice from a cool guidance councilor. My Mom and younger sisters came for visits and we all fell in love with wonderful Mad-town!
My Mom was dating Richard Davis then, and she told him how 'hip"
and fun the place was! Even though Richard was from Chicago, he hadn't been to Madison! Next step, he made the connections!
Richard has always been right on the beat!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Richard Davis, the face of the bass

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:12 pm

RD has had a pretty big effect on my life. I took his jazz history class back in the late 70s. I loved it so much, I kept retaking it, he offered 4 different versions of the course. I remember all of his stories about his days with Sun Ra, or Eric Dolphy or Sarah Vaughn. He brought a number of guest musicians into the class to talk. I got so much insight into jazz music, and his life philosophies.

I used to chat with Richard at the Curve diner on Park Street. Haven't been there in a while.

His concerts with Joan Wildman, often Roscoe Mitchell, were so great. Who knew that Clyde Stubblefield is an excellent, not just competent, jazz drummer.

Any jazz record or concert with Richard Davis on bass is very good or better. I'd say the same thing about Art Blakey on drums. They seem to lift everybody around them.

Return to “Madison Music”