New music venue on East Wash

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New music venue on East Wash

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 28, 2015 4:23 pm

I used to live right near Breese, and while music events in the old days were few and far between, the stadium was a good music venue. It's so beautiful in there! You get a great view of the Capitol from the far end, the thick walls cut down sound from outside, and it's like a little island of coolness in the city. I advise anybody who likes outdoor music to give it a try if they book music this summer.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:29 pm

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:48 pm

The dairy plant is being torn down now.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:32 am

...It's so beautiful in there! You get a great view of the Capitol from the far end...

The view of the capitol dome from the playing field in Breese is now covered up by the new building in the 800 block. This will be missed -- generations of people enjoyed seeing it.

The trade-off is a few people in the rooms overlooking the stadium will have sort of a Wrigley Field view of whatever's happening down there.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 am

snoqueen wrote:
...It's so beautiful in there! You get a great view of the Capitol from the far end...

The view of the capitol dome from the playing field in Breese is now covered up by the new building in the 800 block. This will be missed -- generations of people enjoyed seeing it.

The trade-off is a few people in the rooms overlooking the stadium will have sort of a Wrigley Field view of whatever's happening down there.

I've been in Breese Stevens, but not on the field, so I've never seen the view you're describing. I'm not questioning that it exists, but I doubt that large numbers of people saw it.
Supposedly, infill development like this is preferable to urban sprawl. If you believe that, you accept that there are trade-offs. If you don't, then complaining about large, tall (for Madison) buildings going up is understandable. I sometimes wonder if people's attitudes are shifting into "maybe sprawl's not so bad after all".

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:The trade-off is a few people in the rooms overlooking the stadium will have sort of a Wrigley Field view of whatever's happening down there.

That's the trade-off? That a few people will see into Breese-Stevens?

I thought it was a real grocery downtown, and a great new crop of local businesses on that formerly barren stretch of East Wash. Maybe some spillover onto E. Johnson, too.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:59 pm

The last two posters seem to be drawing the conclusion I regret the E Wash development boom.

I don't. Not at all! All those used car lots and dilapidated, empty manufacturing buildings needed to go, and I like what's taking their place. I would happily live down there if I were looking for an apartment. The buildings are forward looking and well designed for their locations, and the benefits to our tax base are enormous.

I think the Wrigley Field notion is fun. I don't know if the windows facing the field are apartments, or maybe a fancy dining room.

There are losses and gains with any kind of change, and the serendipitous capitol dome view was lost. These are fine points and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them. No change is completely good or bad, but I think the redevelopment is as close to a wholesale gain as you can get.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Just a side note, the remodeled Wrigley Field eliminated the view from across the street. Same thing happened in the old County Stadium, when remodeling prevented viewing from the VA Hospital in Milwaukee.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:52 am

If you happen to be renting the apts that face Breese Stevens, good luck hearing any concerts from way back there. The decibel level from the PA system is limited so as not to bother the neighborhood. At Steve Miller, you could barely hear the band in the bleachers.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:05 am

The top floor of the building facing Patterson st will be a community room with outdoor patio (or so I've heard) so anyone living in the building, and presumably their guests, will have a chance to watch (if not hear) events at Breese.

Return to “Madison Music”