The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 pm

The easiest way to solve this? Just post multiple people's best of Madison lists. That will give the reader of the Isthmus a more rounded view of the scene (which is usually the objective of having a best of list for a specific city).

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm

The Hussy put the on the best rock show I saw this year, I can no longer read this objectively.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:The Hussy put the on the best rock show I saw this year, I can no longer read this objectively.

Good or bad thing? Can't tell. Either way it's highly humorous. hehe.

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Totally agree with Bobby. My view is that his tastes and vision are incredibly narrow. If a publication has one primary arts writer, he needs to have much wider ranging interests and knowledge. The guy has always been a tool.

I'm not upset about not being included in the list -- we never are and don't aspire to be. Thanks to those of you who have said some kind words about our record though. Oh, and IMHO Control has been the best band in Madison for the last 18 months.

sule
Forum Addict

Postby sule » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 am

i for one am glad rich albertoni is gone. i see better writing from 5th graders.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

defactobrigade wrote:I would never waste a copy of our LP sending it to Rich Albertoni to hear.

He accepted digital, which saved me that whopping $3 for a CD-R and postage.

Who *does* take music for review there now? Do we have to send direct to Steinhoff? Or is there a drop-box? Last time I sent to a "general" address the disc was never seen again.

As far as I can tell, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. Say what you want about RA, but he at least reviewed bands that weren't fronted by 24-year olds with neckbeards and cardigans, which is markedly different than most other local weeklies nationwide.

I'm going to start a noisecore band called "Justin Vernon's Rustic Cabin" just to mess with indie critics everywhere.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 am

Mail releases to me:

Kenneth Burns
Arts & Entertainment Editor, Isthmus
101 King St.
Madison, WI 53703

Or send a link to:

musicnews@isthmus.com

We can't review everything that comes in.

rick
Forum Addict

Postby rick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 am

Rich told me once that he considers an "album" to be at least eight songs.

Maybe that's a factor.

He is (was) not the only music writer at Isthmus. His choices are just his opinion, not the Bible.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 pm

rick wrote:Rich told me once that he considers an "album" to be at least eight songs.

I have no beef with that since that's pretty much a true statement.

I would never send a review place a CD-R when there is a hard copy of the album. That's just plain old cheap. If a review place is worth yr time then they're worth the actual record you released. How can you properly assess a release without having it in yr hands? I still believe in physical product.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Mail releases to me:

Kenneth Burns
Arts & Entertainment Editor, Isthmus
101 King St.
Madison, WI 53703

Or send a link to:

musicnews@isthmus.com

We can't review everything that comes in.

I'll give you a tip. If you limit submissions to only the actual release (no digital submissions and no CD-Rs), then it would be easier to weed out the bullshit (hence you could actually review everything you received that fit that criteria. Which by the way is how A LOT of publications and blogs do it). I don't think you HAVE to review every record that comes in. But if someone sends you the actual record/CD pressed of their album and they're a madison band, then it should be reviewed. If someone sends in a digital submission, fuck them in my opinion. Null Device is pretty much the opposite of how I would do anything (according to their web site they played a total of 2 shows as "Null Device" this year, and then one other show as a tribute to Ministry). This is why I had no idea who they were a while back. Not to be a complete dick but you definitely don't seem to be the model for how to do things/get things accomplished. So you got Rich Albertoni to review yr record...big deal.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm

NullDevice wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:I would never waste a copy of our LP sending it to Rich Albertoni to hear.

He accepted digital, which saved me that whopping $3 for a CD-R and postage.

Who *does* take music for review there now? Do we have to send direct to Steinhoff? Or is there a drop-box? Last time I sent to a "general" address the disc was never seen again.

As far as I can tell, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. Say what you want about RA, but he at least reviewed bands that weren't fronted by 24-year olds with neckbeards and cardigans, which is markedly different than most other local weeklies nationwide.

I'm going to start a noisecore band called "Justin Vernon's Rustic Cabin" just to mess with indie critics everywhere.

Why is it a bad thing to review 24 year olds with neckbeards and cardigans again? Their music probably fits more into what Rich Albertoni likes than most of the other local bands.

Please start that noisecore band too by the way. It will interest me and seemingly the rest of Madison (besides Rich Albertoni) a whole lot more than Null Device.

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
rick wrote:Rich told me once that he considers an "album" to be at least eight songs.

I have no beef with that since that's pretty much a true statement.

I would never send a review place a CD-R when there is a hard copy of the album. That's just plain old cheap. If a review place is worth yr time then they're worth the actual record you released. How can you properly assess a release without having it in yr hands? I still believe in physical product.

8 Songs is pretty arbitrary. I think running time is a better measure. I mean, how is 8 songs all under 2 minutes more of an album than 4-5 10-minute tracks? I think this is a carry over from the days of vinyl when you couldn't have an LP side longer than 25 minutes and you couldn't get on the radio with long songs. But whatever, just points out his limited vision and flexibility.

Physical product is cool but a lot of places we sent stuff out to for review specify elctronic ONLY. Makes sense though. It's a lot easier and less guilt-inducing to delete files than to fill a landfill with CDs. Speaking of CDs... we're done with them. Our next record will be vinyl and digital only.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:01 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Why is it a bad thing to review 24 year olds with neckbeards and cardigans again? Their music probably fits more into what Rich Albertoni likes than most of the other local bands.

It's not bad, per se, but isn't the whole point of this thread that there's a whole wide world of music that never got touched? And if you're reading a other weeklies, there seems to be nothing but twee indie-rock bands dominating the pages.

Please start that noisecore band too by the way. It will interest me and seemingly the rest of Madison (besides Rich Albertoni) a whole lot more than Null Device.

Oh SNAP!

But that's okay, we're really not interesting to *anybody* so in the end it doesn't matter all that much. But it keeps me off the streets, so you can take comfort in that.

And my noisecore project won't be interesting either. I promise!

(I'm not *entirely* sure what I did to draw your ire, sir. If I have somehow offended you, accept my apologies, and I will hastily retreat back to the food&cooking forum)

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I just wanted to chime in on this whole "everyone will love a new noisecore band" thought bubbling under the surface of the griping pool - I will not like that more than pretty much anything.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

rrnate wrote:I just wanted to chime in on this whole "everyone will love a new noisecore band" thought bubbling under the surface of the griping pool - I will not like that more than pretty much anything.

+1

Return to “Madison Music”