Local Bands with the Biggest Draw

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Local Bands with the Biggest Draw

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:26 am

swoon_queen wrote:no offense, CommieWithAGun, but with zero context this thread seems like a lazy way to put together a successful show. Most bands with a good following in Madison draw significantly better based on where they're playing- I don't think it's simple to pin down the ones with the "biggest draw" bar none. What's your angle here? Frame it up a bit and I'll bite.

EXACTLY.

CommieWithAGun

Postby CommieWithAGun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:01 am

swoon_queen wrote:no offense, CommieWithAGun, but with zero context this thread seems like a lazy way to put together a successful show. Most bands with a good following in Madison draw significantly better based on where they're playing- I don't think it's simple to pin down the ones with the "biggest draw" bar none. What's your angle here? Frame it up a bit and I'll bite.

Swoon - I am not a musician and I don't play in a band. I am an auto mechanic who lives in Green County. I like to go out to listen to bands and just wanted to know what bands, particularly bands that do original music, are the most popular because then I will go check them out.

You guys really jump to conclusions.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 am

What kind of music do you like?

Cuz with a few exceptions, the bands playing original music in town that I like (generally old-school non-hipster rock) don't typically draw more than 100 or so on a good night. So asking what bands draw the best doesn't necessarily relate to quality. Best, most consistent draw in town is most certainly all the cover bands, which someone already pointed out...

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 am

CommieWithAGun wrote:

Swoon - I am not a musician and I don't play in a band. I am an auto mechanic who lives in Green County. I like to go out to listen to bands and just wanted to know what bands, particularly bands that do original music, are the most popular because then I will go check them out.

I know- very sorry- just really wasn't sure what you were aiming for. If it's just a night out enjoying objectively great local music, I recommend checking out "Honky Tonk Tuesdays" at Mickey's. Jeremiah Nelson (who's prolific and amazing in his own right) has been curating the night for a few years and it veers far from Honky Tonk most nights but it's always a good time. And the atmosphere at Mickey's is such that one can go out and hang and not feel awkward.

Otherwise I think that Crane Your Swan Neck, Icarus Himself, Whitney Mann, and Little Red Wolf are good to check out for original music that's quality and has a consistent draw. There are plenty more- those are just the ones that happen to fall into genres I like. There's also a great show coming up at the High Noon at end of July with a ton of talented Madison acts, if you are into bluegrass/alt country- Josh Harty's CD release party with Anna Vogelzang, Winn Dixie, and a few more. I think the Weather Duo or Asumaya or bell monks put on a great show if you are into more avant garde/chamber poppy/noise type stuff.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 am

CommieWithAGun wrote:

I think it's safe to jump to conclusions when you've NOT been a member of this board long and you go on asking about something as foolish as how well a band draws...and honestly that's NOT an indicator of how much you will like a band.

Surely you can see why we would jump to said conclusion based on the fact that why else would you pose the question in such a way?

Why not just ask what local bands are good if I'm into "x type of music" or if I like this other band (as a reference point)????!?!?

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 am

swoon_queen wrote:
CommieWithAGun wrote:

I

I know- very sorry- just really wasn't sure what you were aiming for. If it's just a night out enjoying objectively great local music, I recommend checking out "Honky Tonk Tuesdays" at Mickey's. Jeremiah Nelson (who's prolific and amazing in his own right) has been curating the night for a few years and it veers far from Honky Tonk most nights but it's always a good time. And the atmosphere at Mickey's is such that one can go out and hang and not feel awkward.

Otherwise I think that Crane Your Swan Neck, Icarus Himself, Whitney Mann, and Little Red Wolf are good to check out for original music that's quality and has a consistent draw. There are plenty more- those are just the ones that happen to fall into genres I like. There's also a great show coming up at the High Noon at end of July with a ton of talented Madison acts, if you are into bluegrass/alt country- Josh Harty's CD release party with Anna Vogelzang, Winn Dixie, and a few more. I think the Weather Duo or Asumaya or bell monks put on a great show if you are into more avant garde/chamber poppy/noise type stuff.

I agree with this person's picks...but only if you're into pretty mellow music. Every one of the artists listed above besides the chamber pop/noise (how they can go next to each other/are equal is unknown to me and is something that Swoon hopefully will address cuz last time I checked a noise band typically is NOT a chamber pop band, and an avant garde band surely isn't chamber pop - I'll take the avant garde/noise comparison but what the heck is Chamber Pop doing sandwiched in the middle? haha) ones are really folky based mellow music. Which is totally cool if that's yr bag, and I totally think those musicians are great at what they do and have seen all of them multiple times. BUT that's not taking into account a whole SLEW of other genres that this town does well.

CommieWithAGun

Postby CommieWithAGun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:43 am

I should have said earlier that the reason why I was interested in bands that attract a large crowd is I get off on the excitement of a large crowd responding to a great musical performance. I have no hidden agenda here. I just want to get turned on by some great bands in a live performance. There is not much here in Green county.

Thanks for the suggestions. And keep them coming.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 am

CommieWithAGun wrote:I should have said earlier that the reason why I was interested in bands that attract a large crowd is I get off on the excitement of a large crowd responding to a great musical performance. I have no hidden agenda here. I just want to get turned on by some great bands in a live performance. There is not much here in Green county.

Thanks for the suggestions. And keep them coming.

Every band I love in this town draws less than a 100 people and typically people do NOT go rabid for them.
Wish they would.

I've seen people get pretty turned onto Midwest Beat shows. AND FOR GOOD REASON. They are the best band in Madison.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:52 am

you could also look into the Hype Exchange page on this forum to see what bands have posts that get read a lot. But be forewarned that's not necessarily an indicator of draw.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 am

I agree with this person's picks...but only if you're into pretty mellow music. Every one of the artists listed above besides the chamber pop/noise (how they can go next to each other/are equal is unknown to me and is something that Swoon hopefully will address cuz last time I checked a noise band typically is NOT a chamber pop band, and an avant garde band surely isn't chamber pop - I'll take the avant garde/noise comparison but what the heck is Chamber Pop doing sandwiched in the middle? haha) ones are really folky based mellow music.

I think CYSN is more rock and roll than the others, and Icarus Himself is definitely indie rock. But yeah, the rest are fairly quiet. Weather Duo strikes me as an amalgam of chamber music and noise. Maybe I should have left the "pop" part out. bell monks are avant garde at its best. They do a lot of cool visuals along with their musical performance.

I miss Pale Young Gentlemen- their shows were always a blast. Sleeping in the Aviary, too, though they do pass through here from time to time. Dumate live is fun.

A lot of the other Madison musicians I enjoy don't have a big enough draw to fall into this thread. But I remembered after I posted this: I totally recommend Midwest Beat if you've never seen them. Great energy at their live show.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

swoon_queen wrote:
I agree with this person's picks...but only if you're into pretty mellow music. Every one of the artists listed above besides the chamber pop/noise (how they can go next to each other/are equal is unknown to me and is something that Swoon hopefully will address cuz last time I checked a noise band typically is NOT a chamber pop band, and an avant garde band surely isn't chamber pop - I'll take the avant garde/noise comparison but what the heck is Chamber Pop doing sandwiched in the middle? haha) ones are really folky based mellow music.

A lot of the other Madison musicians I enjoy don't have a big enough draw to fall into this thread.

But CYSN, Icarus Himself, and Little Red Wolf do?

I would say they draw decent, but I wouldn't consider any of those acts to be the largest drawing acts in town (no offense to the bands).

AND this IS folk to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oj8hJlpzzE

IN the words of D. Boon:
"Mr Narrator, this is Bob Dylan to me"

hahaha.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Surprised Lucas Cates hasn't been mentioned. Same for Madison County. Those two bands are pretty big and play originals. I'd say they compete at the level of the big cover bands cited above (Super Tuesday).

Mighty Short Bus is capable of getting a decent crowd. Natty Nation rarely plays anymore, but they used to be a big draw. I'm told Phat Phunktion has something in the works, but they've been off the grid for a while.

Count me among those who think that seeing a really good band in a really small venue is better than seeing a really big band in a really big venue, though, so what the hell do I know from big?

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 pm

I second the recommendations for the Midwest Beat, CYSN and Little Red Wolf. I'd also recommend Screamin' Cyn Cyn and the Pons for a rousing live show.

Other local or semi-local bands that I like but don't get to see that often: United Sons of Toil, Land of Vandals, El Valiente, Blueheels, His & Hers Vanities, the Gusto, CONTROL, the Hussy, All Tiny Creatures, SitA & PYG. I miss a lot of local shows that I'd love to attend but it's usually a case of skipping weeknight shows and planning to catch the next weekend one.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Check out the Majestic Theatre every thursday throughout the summer for a free show by some of the more popular Madison (and area) bands in the jam / rock scene.
http://www.majesticmadison.com/

In addition, these bands are pretty popular IMO:

Natty Nation (reggae)
Aaron Williams and the Hoodoo (blues)
Lucas Cates Band (pop/rock)
Steez (jam rock/electronica)
The Mustache (funk/rock)
The People Brothers (jam rock)
The Grasshoppers (jam/psychedelic/some covers)
Baghdad SCUBA Review** (classic modern progressive jam rock)
**Disclosure: this is my band and while currently on "hiatus" we do have a couple big shows coming up at the end of July/early August, and used to draw pretty big crowds at the Majestic, Barrymore, High Noon, Harmony, etc.

I believe Phat Phunction broke up 5+ years ago. They still do an occasional reunion show in Madison. GREAT horn/funk band back in the day. Looks like they have another on 7/29 according to the GIGs page on Tim's site:
http://www.timothywhalen.com/

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 pm

jjoyce wrote:Count me among those who think that seeing a really good band in a really small venue is better than seeing a really big band in a really big venue, though, so what the hell do I know from big?

TOTALLY agree with this statement. BUT be careful what you say about enjoying sweaty packed shows. Cuz there's some people on this board who like to berate people for liking shows like that (last week I got a good talkin too about it). HA.

But yes, smaller shows are usually infinitely more fun.

Return to “Madison Music”