The Annex: Done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow.
You really are a dick.

I didn't make any definitive statement, I merely asked a question.
Then I acknowledged my guess was wrong.

Then you insulted me. Repeatedly.

I have seriously known lots of 12-yr. olds more mature than you.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=25032

"Musicians are lucky. They've found a means of truly expressing themselves. But it can be hard to keep the musical lifestyle going.

Darwin Sampson knows this. In fact, that's a major reason he opened the Frequency nightclub last June at 121 W. Main St. "

"Of musicians, by musicians and for musicians' is how our assistant manager Nate Bush — who's also the bassist for the mighty Droids Attack — once described the Frequency," says Sampson, 39. "I think that sums it up quite well."

Says it right there in print.
A MAJOR reason was supporting MUSICIANS, and NOT the customer.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Bland wrote:Wow.
You really are a dick.

I didn't make any definitive statement, I merely asked a question.
Then I acknowledged my guess was wrong.

Then you insulted me. Repeatedly.

I have seriously known lots of 12-yr. olds more mature than you.


Seems tit for tat.

I'm a dick cuz you acted like I had NO idea what the capacity of the club was, when I obviously knew. RIGHT?
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Bland wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:Better to play a sold out small room than a 400 person room half full.
End of story.



Also: Pretty sure the High Noon Saloon capacity is more like 800 than 400.


Is that a question?
Seems like you thought you knew the capacity.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:43 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
You called me 12 before I insulted you.

No, you called me a dumbass first (for having the gall to ask a question, no less. The gall!)
Go check the posts.

As for your next follow-up, if you'd quoted the very next line after my guess, I asked, "Does anyone know for sure?" Not exactly the kind of thing someone who's very sure of himself does, now is it. Not sure how your brain works (or even if it does) but if I'm not sure of something, I ask. Thanks for the links, btw. SMOOCHES!

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
You called me 12 before I insulted you.

No, you called me a dumbass first (for having the gall to ask a question, no less. The gall!)
Go check the posts.

As for your next follow-up, if you'd quoted the very next line after my guess, I asked, "Does anyone know for sure?" Not exactly the kind of thing someone who's very sure of himself does, now is it. Not sure how your brain works (or even if it does) but if I'm not sure of something, I ask. Thanks for the links, btw. SMOOCHES!

Yes I removed the QUESTION portion since the statement of "PRETTY SURE THE CAPACITY IS..." is NOT a question. It's a statement that you were PRETTY SURE the capacity is 800. Which it is not. So you're pretty surely mistaken.
Why would you say "pretty sure" when you were NOT pretty sure?!?!

I did check the posts. I called you a dumbass because you are one. You thought the capacity of a 400 room was 800.
800 is NOT even get close to 400, right?
I guess it was premature for me to assume yr a dumbass, but then you clearly showed yrself to be one throughout this thread, so my inclination that you are in fact a dumbass, appears to be correct.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:47 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Question...Are you a musician?


No, but I have performed in more of an art performance/video based situation and...

defactobrigade wrote:I think yr mistaken, the entertainer is there for their OWN benefit, not yrs man.


I disagree. All of the performances and video I've made have been for the audience. It's an added benefit that I like what I do. If you do it for yourself then why do you perform live?

defactobrigade wrote:But back on point. Sucks we lost the annex. I did see some good shows there.


That I can agree with. I haven't seen a lot of shows there, but they did fill a void with size and atmosphere.

defactobrigade wrote:You guys must be too old to enjoy a good rowdy rock show. Couldn't possibly get some kids sweat all over you could you? Heaven forbid you get bumped by Marco Pogo.


Considering I saw the Melvins not long ago and sweat to the point my entire shirt was wet, I'd say you're wrong. Bob Log puts on a slightly different show and lends itself better with some breathing room.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:50 pm

defactobrigade wrote:So you're pretty surely mistaken.

Didn't I already state that I was wrong and that I would take your word for the capacity?
Yep. I sure did.

I like to argue too, but it helps to have someone to argue with.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:Question...Are you a musician?


No, but I have performed in more of an art performance/video based situation and...

defactobrigade wrote:I think yr mistaken, the entertainer is there for their OWN benefit, not yrs man.


I disagree. All of the performances and video I've made have been for the audience. It's an added benefit that I like what I do. If you do it for yourself then why do you perform live?

defactobrigade wrote:But back on point. Sucks we lost the annex. I did see some good shows there.


That I can agree with. I haven't seen a lot of shows there, but they did fill a void with size and atmosphere.

defactobrigade wrote:You guys must be too old to enjoy a good rowdy rock show. Couldn't possibly get some kids sweat all over you could you? Heaven forbid you get bumped by Marco Pogo.


Considering I saw the Melvins not long ago and sweat to the point my entire shirt was wet, I'd say you're wrong. Bob Log puts on a slightly different show and lends itself better with some breathing room.


Valid points.

But I play live music because I enjoy it, not because of the audience. The audience can enhance or inhibit a show, but by all means a hussy show is the same whether there is 1 person in the room or 500 people in the room. I'm not going to argue against the fact that playing mobbed shows is fun, but I will not be told why I play live music...that's for sure.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:So you're pretty surely mistaken.

Didn't I already state that I was wrong and that I would take your word for the capacity?
Yep. I sure did.

I like to argue too, but it helps to have someone to argue with.

Did you really acknowledge yr guess was wrong?
I'm having a hard time finding it. But I may have missed it.

And did you read the piece about the Frequency being created FOR musicians. There too you were WRONG. What I'm trying to prove is that you acted like I had no idea what I was talking about when I have more than proven I DO know what I'm talking about in multiple circumstances.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:So you're pretty surely mistaken.

Didn't I already state that I was wrong and that I would take your word for the capacity?
Yep. I sure did.

I like to argue too, but it helps to have someone to argue with.

Did you really acknowledge yr guess was wrong?
I'm having a hard time finding it. But I may have missed it.

And did you read the piece about the Frequency being created FOR musicians. There too you were WRONG. What I'm trying to prove is that you acted like I had no idea what I was talking about when I more than proven I DO know what I'm talking about in multiple circumstances.

I missed it. I MADE A MISTAKE!
i'm a dumbass.
i'll be the first to admit that.

I never said I was perfect, but when people continually argue about things they obviously have no interest/knowledge of, well that gets my goat.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:01 pm

defactobrigade wrote:But I play live music because I enjoy it, not because of the audience. The audience can enhance or inhibit a show, but by all means a hussy show is the same whether there is 1 person in the room or 500 people in the room.


Agreed. I would never do something BECAUSE of the audience.
defactobrigade wrote:I'm not going to argue against the fact that playing mobbed shows is fun, but I will not be told why I play live music...that's for sure.


We all do what we do for different reasons and I never tried to imply that. I appreciate what musicians do and wish we had many, many more venues in this town.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 pm

defactobrigade wrote:when people continually argue about things they obviously have no interest/knowledge of, well that gets my goat.


That's understandable, but you are incorrect if you think that just because people prefer a less crowded atmosphere that they have no interest in live music. And yes, some of that DOES have to do with getting older. Are you really surprised to learn that people and their tastes change as they get older? Assuming you're not really 12, my guess is you don't enjoy all the same activities you did when you were.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:But I play live music because I enjoy it, not because of the audience. The audience can enhance or inhibit a show, but by all means a hussy show is the same whether there is 1 person in the room or 500 people in the room.


Agreed. I would never do something BECAUSE of the audience.
defactobrigade wrote:I'm not going to argue against the fact that playing mobbed shows is fun, but I will not be told why I play live music...that's for sure.


We all do what we do for different reasons and I never tried to imply that. I appreciate what musicians do and wish we had many, many more venues in this town.


Pretty sure at one point you wrote:
"I disagree. All of the performances and video I've made have been for the audience. It's an added benefit that I like what I do. If you do it for yourself then why do you perform live?"

But I'm done arguing. I agree with you that I wish there were more venues, and I wish more people would listen to me when I make claims about capacities and why venues opened instead of berating me for enjoying playing live music/being a dick to people making ludicrous claims.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:11 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Pretty sure at one point you wrote:
"I disagree. All of the performances and video I've made have been for the audience. It's an added benefit that I like what I do. If you do it for yourself then why do you perform live?"


I'm not arguing but just clarifying what I meant. BECAUSE of the audience and FOR the audience are actually two different things to me. Maybe it's just semantics in my own head that I can't explain. Blerf.


Return to “Madison Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests