Curious about craigslist

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Curious about craigslist

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm

In reading the Good 'n Loud discussion, I'm curious about how often local musicians peruse craigslist and, maybe more importantly, actually buy stuff from people advertising on it.

Seems like the instruments area is pretty active.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Curious about craigslist

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm a musician. I've never bought an instrument through craigslist. I browse from time to time but never see anything other than people's old crap. And of course there's dealing with whoever is selling on the price which is rarely rooted in reality.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:21 pm

I bought a 72 Tele reissue from Carl Johns. But I just ran into him one day and we started talking about it.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:35 pm

I got a decent used Fender Jazz (Mexican) a few years ago from craigslist, but I can tell you that anything worth anything is likely going to be on eBay. That is, if the seller is savvy.

dead ed

Postby dead ed » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I buy effects and some odd stuff off of the music list, but would agree that I don't see any guitars that I've been tempted by.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I sold a nice vintage 2 1/2 octave rosewood marimba on there a couple years ago.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Jason, would you say then that you're buy-curious?

Thank you thank you, remember to tip your waitress.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm

I HAVE made a musical purchase on Craigslist. I'd forgotten all about it: An extremely cheap keyboard, that kind that lets you play a samba beat with one finger. It has served the purpose I bought it for. Which was, yes, samba.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:37 am

i've bought 3 guitars, and 2 amps off of craigslist. And a pedal. All in Madison. All were great buys and the people nice. One guitar was bought with a want ad I placed on craigslist. So yeah I'd say it works well.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm

There are certain items that I repeatedly search for on craigslist. I also search nationwide for a few items that I am always interested in. I have had good luck so far.

Some notables:

- a nice 70s Yamaha acoustic from here in Madison

- a mid 80s Fender Jazz from Denver

indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Keep browsing! I scored my absolute best playing/sounding Les Paul on CL 2 yrs ago- at a price I still cannot believe. And, unlike Ebay, I got to play her before I bought her. Lots of old junk, yes...a few scammers, yes...but also real folks with real instruments who need cash fast.

sadiekat

Postby sadiekat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:30 pm

I have been using Craigslist to both buy and sell. Most recently, I sold a [brand new] amp that was just entirely too..um...robust..for the 13 y/o girl it was intended for. Priced fair, snapped right up by a musician who needed it- I thought it turned out great. The Rants and Raves section, however, is more than a little frightening.

Jou
Forum Addict

Postby Jou » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

Craigslist lead me to 2 guitars and a wah and a distortion pedal. Agile Jr, which is a great guitar and so cheap, too. I guess they don't sell for much new either, but they're a really good "off" brand. I also got a Yamaha Pacifica which was ridiculously cheap even if it wasn't as good. Steals. Got the Agile from the dude in The Rebuilts.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 am

OMG - a thread with nothing but relevant and respectful responses (and one good joke - thanks, GUTC!). What a treat.

Mr. Williams

Postby Mr. Williams » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:57 pm

All the time, buying and selling. You have to sift through the crap a lot of times but I'm all about Craigslist. I've even met some cool people- it's like a musicians trade show. I have yet to be burned on a item.

Return to “Madison Music”