Registration for Band to Band Combat 2010 is open!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Registration for Band to Band Combat 2010 is open!

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Um, I employed that phrase with a soupçon of irony.

yeah I think that was obvious enough. Still shows the most difficult part of the contest (the voting - difficult in that this is probably the best way to do it but still has loads of flaws) doesn't really work with what I think the point of a battle of the bands is: BEST band wins, not most popular.
Just my two cents.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:I feel bad for Lucas Cates who actually deserved to win this.
EH. Madison continually disappoints. Maybe time to retire Band to Band combat again?! Next year I'm not even voting since it obviously doesn't matter.

also:
"Sleeping in the Stereo proved that what is true of politics also is true of competitive live music: The message matters, but so does the get-out-the-vote effort."
haha
So NOW even the people who run this competition admit it's just about getting yr friends to the show and NOT who is the better band. And can anyone fill me in on what the message this band is sending?!

I like how you say your vote doesn't matter, and then you complain because the act you wanted to win didn't get enough votes.

Sorry, when did we conceal the fact that Isthmus Band to Band Combat is decided by voting?

you didn't. I was being facetious/kidding around...obviously. Much as you OBVIOUSLY stated yr quote with irony...

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Joel Shanahan at the AV Club wrote a fine and honest review of the event and didn't seem surprised Sleeping in the Stereo won. "The band of local youngsters cranked out a shockingly focused set of jangling pop tunes." I thought they were very entertaining.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm

And my vote did NOT matter. None of the bands I voted for won. The only votes that matter here are the ones that ultimately decide who wins. I knew my vote in that matter would not matter, much in the same way my vote for the Midwest Beat last year did not matter. The band, along with the Selfish Gene played a show to BENEFIT the Isthmus by getting people out to the show, yet the loser goes home with nothing. I voted for what I thought was the better band, and my vote ultimately did not matter for shit cuz as I remember it the Beat didn't get any prizes/win anything. So what good was my vote other than putting my 5 dollars into YOUR/The Isthmus' pocket?!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't know if the Beat won prizes. I don't have much to do with organizing the contests. To say your vote didn't count because the bands you voted for didn't win is an odd way to look at voting.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 pm

God answers all prayers - just says no to some.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I don't know if the Beat won prizes. I don't have much to do with organizing the contests. To say your vote didn't count because the bands you voted for didn't win is an odd way to look at voting.

But it's true isn't it if the band didn't get anything?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Every vote counts. This is sort of the essence of voting. EXCEPT IN COMMUNIST RUSSIA.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 pm

go commies i guess. joking obviously.
you got me good.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm

no really, sometimes he just says no.

Sometimes he say fuck you you're full of shit.

Sometimes he says you have no taste; your band sucks; deal.

Now...I have thought... it would be cool if American Idol had an America's favorite AND a Judge's favorite.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:38 pm

bdog wrote:no really, sometimes he just says no.

Sometimes he say fuck you you're full of shit.

Sometimes he says you have no taste; your band sucks; deal.

Now...I have thought... it would be cool if American Idol had an America's favorite AND a Judge's favorite.

There is the judges' save.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:08 pm

The Midwest Beat was paid for playing Band to Band finals last year, just like all bands are paid for their appearance this year. They were also booked to play at one of our summer block parties, a gig for which they were also paid.

Were you there? Do you actively support local music, or do you just complain about it?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 pm

For some reason, I feel the need to defend this event, which actively and actually gets songs from local bands heard by our readers. Radio doesn't do it, The Onion doesn't do it... hell, the MAMAs don't even freely distribute local music to whoever wants to take a few minutes to listen to it. You can STILL go to http://www.thedailypage.com/bandtoband/bandList.php to hear ALL the bands. But defend it, and from the attacks of an apparent malcontent, I will.

The finals were a blast. Four bands, each different from the other, each very enthusiastically and capably doing what they love to do on stage, seemed to really enjoy the night. Every time I wandered up to the tiny Majestic backstage area, a group of musicians stood around chatting and complimenting each other's stuff. These are bands that will likely never share a bill in this town. The SitS kids in particular, who played first, took in all the sets from the front of the stage and interacted with the other bands all night.

We had about 275 people come on Thursday night and only about 20 votes separated first from last, so it's a mistake to say that individual votes didn't count. If a car full of SitS fans got into a wreck, the media. might have won. If a few LCB fans decided that they could suffer through being a little tired at work on Friday, they could have won.

But just like Rock 'n Roll is often about being able to fill a room and "making it" is ultimately about drawing people in, be it to go to a show, buy a CD or a t-shirt, this contest is about proving that you can mobilize your audience and hopefully win a few converts with your recorded stuff.

Is Bruno Mars better than Fleet Foxes? Impossible to say and it would continue to be impossible even if they performed in front of a voting audience or a panel of judges. This contest is what it is and we enjoy putting it on largely because a good number of bands enjoy participating and they tell us so.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Do I support local music?!
Jessh. YES i go to shows. Did I go to this show? NO.
Does that mean I don't support the local scene? NO.
YR show is NOT the local scene. The Local scene are bands that play WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT. Which 2 of those bands do NOT do.
That is NOT the local scene.

Additionally, can you please be honest and at least come clean that you needed prodding to pay the Beat last year. Isn't that the truth?
If that's not true I apologize and am mistaken as I heard an untrue story from what I would call multiple strong sources. IF IT IS TRUE, it does show quite a bit about the character of you and your paper (since you're going to try to play it off as if you "always paid the local band" that lost the event).
NO YOU DIDN'T.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 pm

PS.
Do YOU support local music?
How many local bands have you seen live at events that weren't sponsored by your company? I don't know you so it's an honest question.

Running one or two shows a year doesn't really seem to be cultivating anything like a scene as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Madison Music”