the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Re: the majestic pays people to rip down competing fliers

Postby benfury » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm

O.J. wrote:
benfury wrote:My main beef was that my flier wasn't even over a flier for the majestic. She was just ripping down whatever.

Would you have given her the thumbs up if she just covered in graffiti?

that would have been just like putting a flier up over mine, and i wouldnt have cared... thats what those are there for. if you cover up someones flier with a flier (or paint) good for you. you are using the kiosk for its purpose: to hang things on.

jjoyce wrote:Just to sum up:

- You spotted some idiots tearing down fliers on State Street and when you confronted them, they said they were paid to do so by a nightclub and named the nightclub.... and you believed them?

- Your post, pure hearsay, generates replies from those who are now going to spread the word that it's okay to start tearing down posters from this club even though they haven't any proof that your'e telling the truth or the people you encountered were telling the truth.

If you come out of your house to confront me after I throw eggs at it and I say, "uhhh... your neighbor told me to do it," are you going to call me a name and then throw eggs at your neighbor's house?

Ya got quite a sense of justice, I must say.

i believed her because she was leaving the majestic fliers (and only the majestic fliers) alone.. if i caught someone egging every house on the block except my neighbors, then yeah, i wold believe that my neighbor had something to do with it if thats what the eggers told me.

and i think its only hearsay if other people tell people about it. my post is of first hand experience.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 pm

eriedasch wrote:
benfury wrote:And its not even HER that really pisses me off. Its the majestic. Are they doing bad financially where they have to get people to tear fliers down? It just gets to me.

The guys who run the Majestic are extremely supportive of local bands. I find it very hard to believe they would hire people to do this type of thing.

Not that anyone would fess up to hiring someone to do this, but before you start trashing the Majestic I would at least ask a representative of the venue if they know anything about it and inform them - whether they hired them or not - the Majestic is being named and blamed for it.

a bandmate is going to talk to the owner as he has his number and email.

and i thought it was weird because the do support local bands.. also in my original post i wondered if it really was the majestic or tag.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm

The Center Square wrote: of a non-existant competitor on the kiosks.

i will use homer simpsons acapella group "The B-Sharps"

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

THE MAJESTIC WAS CONTACTED

they have yet to respond.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:25 pm

benfury wrote:
The Center Square wrote: of a non-existant competitor on the kiosks.

i will use homer simpsons acapella group "The B-Sharps"

May I suggest: The Creatures, The Lovely Lads, The Originals, The New Originals, The Dutchmen, The Thamesmen, Rave Breakers, Hellcats, Flamin' Daemons, Shiners, Mondos, the Doppel Gang, the Peoples, Loose Lips, Waffles, Hot Waffles, Silver Service, The Mud Below, and the Tufnel-St. Hubbins Group?

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:JIf you come out of your house to confront me after I throw eggs at it and I say, "uhhh... your neighbor told me to do it," are you going to call me a name and then throw eggs at your neighbor's house?

Depends. Are you a paid employee of that neighbor? Or are you throwing eggs because the neighbor said so?

Makes a difference, imo.

Mick Shrimpton

Postby Mick Shrimpton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Walter wrote:May I suggest: The Creatures, The Lovely Lads, The Originals, The New Originals, The Dutchmen, The Thamesmen, Rave Breakers, Hellcats, Flamin' Daemons, Shiners, Mondos, the Doppel Gang, the Peoples, Loose Lips, Waffles, Hot Waffles, Silver Service, The Mud Below, and the Tufnel-St. Hubbins Group?

Try it and I'll sue your ass. Literally.

billmc

Postby billmc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

So let me get this right, you are a musician in the band Corpse Donor. And you want to piss off the Majestic guys buy ripping down their flyers. The Majestic guys book a lot of local openers on shows including punk shows there and at other venues. I'm sure they are also friends with the other club owners in town and work with the Loft guy quite a bit.

As a member of another local band, this seems like a good way to be blacklisted from any potential opening slots for national touring acts. If you're fine with playing basement shows as long as you stay in Madison, well then go ahead and rip down the flyers.

I just think its best not to burn bridges with those who could help you out in the future.

Mick Shrimpton

Postby Mick Shrimpton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't be a pussy bill.

Dunfam

Postby Dunfam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:47 pm

If this red head girl is who I think she is this story sounds about right. She did some booking for WUD, but is no longer allowed to based on the incompetency and idiocy she displayed booking/running a few shows.

That said. What is the difference between ripping a poster down that is covering yours, and putting another copy of that poster up over the top? Besides the former saving paper?

Of course you can avoid having your flyers covered or torn by placing them below Tag and the Majestic's rows. While it sucks to have to always flyer around Tag and the Majestic, its in the best interest of anyone else flyering. Is it fair that they have the top rows? eh. not really but who can blame them if they have the street presence to enforce it, and I think this unwritten rule keeps the kiosks more stable than if the entire thing was a free-for-all.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:38 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Been a while since we had a good flyer thread. Carry on.

benfury wrote:Anyway, I tell them both to fuck off and call her a "worthless cunt."

You pretty much lost the moral high ground with that one. But that's show business.

I disagree. One of the most satisfying things a man can do is call a woman a "worthless cunt."

Don't be one, don't get called one.

I AGREE completely with this. I think the people at the Isthmus have a serious problem when people (heaven forbid) swear at other people. I got a VERY similar statement from Kenneth when I let one Isthmus staffer know how I felt about his horrible pseudo-journalism.

Ben, This is fucking outrageous. I can't believe this shit. Give me a date and I'll come rip down Majestics flyers with you. This is just bullshit.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Dunfam wrote:If this red head girl is who I think she is this story sounds about right. She did some booking for WUD, but is no longer allowed to based on the incompetency and idiocy she displayed booking/running a few shows.

WUD INCOMPETENT?! Really? Whodathunk....hahahha

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 pm

I wonder what percentage of bands around town still go out and flyer for shows versus do the online thing exclusively nowadays? Someone should make a rock doc on show flyers, if it has not been done.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:23 pm

defactobrigade wrote:I AGREE completely with this. I think the people at the Isthmus have a serious problem when people (heaven forbid) swear at other people. I got a VERY similar statement from Kenneth when I let one Isthmus staffer know how I felt about his horrible pseudo-journalism.

Huh, what was that?

I love swearing. Misogyny, not so much.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:I AGREE completely with this. I think the people at the Isthmus have a serious problem when people (heaven forbid) swear at other people. I got a VERY similar statement from Kenneth when I let one Isthmus staffer know how I felt about his horrible pseudo-journalism.

Huh, what was that?

I love swearing. Misogyny, not so much.

It is a gender specific insult, not an indicator of misogyny. Have you ever called a women a dick? Yeah me neither.

Return to “Madison Music”