Musicians eat it again for the Brats..

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Musicians eat it again for the Brats..

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 am

zippy wrote:All work has its own intrinsic reward its just a matter of if its a reward you find rewarding or not.

You're right. It's possible the ticket takers grew up dreaming about being ticket takers.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:28 am

zippy wrote: Just not true only a few of the professionals in the some of the cover bands were paid.
NEXT!

I'd love to see documentation on this. I have friends in at least one act that are far from hobbyists (not including just mine) that did this pro bono.

And, yeah. Wow! This thread's still going.....It must be striking a chord (so to speak) for a lot of forons.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:01 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:And, yeah. Wow! This thread's still going.....It must be striking a chord (so to speak) for a lot of forons.

Indeed. The ethics of playing for free is a substantive and contentious issue among musicians.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 am

Just wanted to mention I'm playing a charity show (Relay For Life) tonight in Ft. Atkinson - this thread more or less inspired me to say yes to the show.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 am

I suppose now you expect everyone else to play for free everywhere all the time.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I suppose now you expect everyone else to play for free everywhere all the time.

I asked myself, "What can I do to ruin things today?" and the answer was "support Relay For Life".

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 pm

rrnate wrote:"What can I do to ruin things today?"

What color is that rubber awareness bracelet and where do I get one?

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Please help make this the longest running and least interesting topic in the history of the Isthmus forum. We have come very close to the least interesting, and your continued support can make this possible.

If you see that is has not been posted to in a day or so, please add another nonsensical post that purports to be an argument for or against something that no one cares about.

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Pain hurts.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 pm

rrnate wrote:I'm playing a charity show

You, sir, are worse than a Nazi.
You're a scab Nazi.
You might as well be known as Cornish Hitler.

Boo!

zippy
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:29 am

Ok I am game. Since you all want to make this thread longer. And since you obviously forgot this thread was not about musicians not playing charity events but getting some pay for doing it only IF ( and I will try and say this slowly because after all you are on the Isthmus forum) EVERYBODY ELSE INVOLVED IN THE CHARITY EVENT IS GETTING PAID. Its amazing how many normal people can actually understand that it would be something that is just well FAIR to ask. But the masocastic musicians on here are so used to getting it up the rear that this seems like the most unreasonable request ever made. Why the unmitigated gall and ego of me to suggest musicians are human beings who deserve equal treatment to the other people involved in the charity event that are getting paid. But I get it now. You guys LIKE IT! So go ahead by all means and line up for another butt reaming! Have a great time and maybe they will lean over and whisper in your ear as they are pumping away what an ARTIST you are. LOL!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:21 am

Are bands being forced to play free for charity events? Just wonderin'.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 am

Zippy's right. I don't get musicians who are masocastic.

I'm a telecaster man myself.

zippy
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:59 am

You obviously have not played enough telecasters to realize one can certainly have masocistic tendencies and play a telecaster. :wink:

zippy
Forum Addict

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are bands being forced to play free for charity events? Just wonderin'.

Yes actually they are. There is a little known branch of the Madison police force called the charity enforcement division. They go to various bands houses and round them up and make them get their equipment and play at charity events for free while everyone else at the event is getting paid.
No actually I kid Madison musicians are stupid enough to do it without being forced to!

Return to “Madison Music”