Wilco thoughts?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Wilco thoughts?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I saw a bunch of forons at this show. Were you among them? What'd you think? Venue? Band? Tweedy? Cline? Beer prices?

The photos here reveal a rough-lookin' Jeff Tweedy. Could scarcely make out the beard from where I was perched, a few rows from the roof.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=28269

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wilco thoughts?

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:00 pm

You know what rhymes with Wilco? Schabow.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm

I was not there but was at the previous Overture show. I forgot they were coming to town and didn't get tickets.

I'm not really a fan in the sense that Wilco just doesn't do anything for me but they are a great band. I would go see them again though. I've always been impressed by the material and the playing but I get little or no emotional connection with the music, which mystifies me considering I like the musical style/styles/genres of the band.

I much prefer Schabow's review to the one Andy Moore did for Isthmus: Tiger Beat meets Penthouse Forum with the worst of Mendels(s)ohn baked in a pie. No offense, Mr. Moore, but somebody had to say it.

Schabow also writes all the songs for Wilco too, even though he continues to deny it. (Very tiny inside joke)

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Wilco eats their own farts.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 am

Kyle's review could use a little work, though it does have a certain "this is what it's like talking to Kyle" quality.

I thought the show was just ok - loved hearing the older stuff, but as my wife kept pointing out to me, the older songs sounded really good next to the lamer newer stuff.

Also - Nels Cline, Pat Sansone and Michael Jourgenson continue to not fill the Jay Bennett role as well as Jay Bennett did. Seriously - other than (too many) guitar solos, those new songs have a lot of room for someone to do something interesting...it sounds like no one wants to step on anyone's toes, which is (clearly) not how a band should sound.

You know what's a lot better than that show? The Wilco/Beck/Jamie Lidell/Feist dealie floating around the internet where they cover "Oar" by Skip Spence. Something tells me it's because they're working with Beck and doing it off-the-cuff, but that sounds way more like a band than new-Wilco-proper.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 am

I was in the fifth row so I saw Tweedy's beard in full. He looks a lot llike artie lange these days. The crowd was obnoxious. People in my row made a minimum of ten beer runs during the course of the show. I'm not a fan of Wilco's last three albums, so the setlist was not ideal for me. I thought Tweedy was a more charming frontman than any previous Wilco show I've seen. The sound at the front of that theater leaves a lot to be desired. There are no orchestra level speakers so the whole concert sounded like it was happening a floor above me.

After the show, I scraped this together:

http://www.thedailypage.com/video/artic ... icle=28271

After that I wound up at Genna's with John Stirratt. One of the nicest guys I've ever met. The kids in the bar showed him a lot of love and rounds of shots.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 am

I didn't catch Wilco this time around. I've seen them quite a few times (five shows as a band, and Tweedy solo once) and missed out on getting tickets, so figured I'd skip it and catch the next go-round. Factoring into that, I'll admit, was a bit of ambivalence towards "Wilco (The Album)." I did feel a pang of regret when Califone was named as the opener-- would've liked to see them on a big stage.

John Stirratt and Pat Sansone's side project, Autumn Defense, played Montmartre when I was booking there and the whole experience was great. I agree that Stirratt is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Zero ego. Completely easygoing.

Here's something that I brought up over on the Twitter that irked me a little: because I didn't snag tickets to the Wilco show, I took the opportunity to see Sondre Lerche and JBM at the Frequency. Lerche is a great Norwegian singer/songwriter who's toured internationally for the past 8 years or so yet never been to Madison. To see him in a venue the size of the Frequency promised to be a treat, and it was. JBM was also really captivating, a pleasant surprise.

The show had some really interesting crowd moments that would have been golden in a show recap. I'll leave those out here-- my question is, why are we treated to a Wilco review via any Madison media outlet available (last count: Daily Page, Dane101, 77Square, Channel3000, MuzzleOfBees, etc.) but there's not a single review of Sondre Lerche, and much less coverage of other shows this weekend? True Endeavors announced that all of their Saturday night shows (including Wilco, Sondre, Eyedea & Abilities) were sold out, and there was also a sold out Lotus show at the Majestic, so the interest in these other acts is there. Big kudos to 77Square and AVClub for reviewing the Eyedea & Abilities show.

I just wish media in general could be more mindful of a few things (I know, I know, in a perfect world...). First, in my opinion the job of most reviewers (definitely not all, especially those who pay for their own tickets) is to offer an unbiased recap of a show they may or may not have had an interest in seeing. It didn't really seem that way with most of the love letters to Wilco I checked out online, although I definitely didn't read them all. Secondly, media/fan recap/blog attention can be a factor in whether a musician returns to a city. I can't help thinking that Wilco doesn't really need heaps of praise and the keys to the city to encourage their return to Madison. But it would be nice to build up some of these lesser-known acts by covering them as well-- this is partly how a fanbase is grown, by people who read a glowing review the next day and think, "Man, should have checked that out, I definitely will next time."

Anyway, I don't want to complain too much as I feel we're spoiled in Madison by having such stellar entertainment writers. It just struck me.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 am

Sondre sold out? wow! that's awesome. I would have loved to see his show. I've seen him a few times and he's great, and I was planning on going but then at the last minute I lucked into the Wilco ticket and backstage pass, so I figured I couldn't pass up the chance for some Isthmus on the isthmus footage.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm

swoon_queen wrote:there was also a sold out Lotus show at the Majestic, so the interest in these other acts is there.

Lotus sold out 2 shows at the Majestic (fri & sat) and had local Madison bands open for them each nite. Would have been very cool to see a review about either of those.

Walter pretty much sums it up regarding Wilco. Awesomely talented band, but just don't do it for me. Seen them a few times, most recently at 10K Lakes fest last summer. I like their older stuff and own Being There.

But they are a hugely popular band and will get the writeups because of it.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Walter wrote:Tiger Beat meets Penthouse Forum

Yeah, I was a little disturbed by the sexual imagery in that review.

During "Impossible Germany," Cline's shimmering notes exploded from his guitar like pieces from a broken mirror. He was so fearless in his playing of this number, turning it into a therapy session, wresting emotion from, and thrusting it into, his solo break. His hands are huge, the left one suffocating the neck. Yet delicate music, together with bombastic, when called for, comes from them.

He's a patient player, too, but it was fun watching as he became more and more aroused when the music emerged from his intense soloing and landed softly back onto the pillow of the familiar melody.

Yikes.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Does it all make sense now?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:19 pm

It just goes to prove that it's all about Schabow in the end...er, at the end of the day...er, never mind.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm

GOD DAMN IT KNOCK IT OFF YOU GUYS.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Dammit, Juanton. As my good friend Chips would say, "That's a strike!"

Walter
Forum God/Goddess