ALRC to prohibit bands from drinking at performance venues

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: ALRC to prohibit bands from drinking at performance venues

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I explained to him the concept of contract riders expressly naming beer/alcohol and wine brands commonly in place between management and promoters.

Dammit. I had already replaced "case of beer on ice" with "handjobs" on my standard rider.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
I explained to him the concept of contract riders expressly naming beer/alcohol and wine brands commonly in place between management and promoters.

Dammit. I had already replaced "case of beer on ice" with "handjobs" on my standard rider.

Then you must not have yet read (9) of Section 39.10 entitled “Genital Servicing and Release” of the Madison
General Ordinances.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:55 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm with Verveer. The ordinance seems unnecessary.

From the Isthmus article:
Ald. Mike Verveer, a member of the ALRC, doesn't support the ordinance, which is similar to a proposal introduced at the state level that has drawn similar flak.

"I believe it's a solution in search of a problem," says Verveer, noting that there's already a city ordinance against bartenders being drunk while on duty. "I don't see a crying need for this."

I second this and would not let Shumacher (and the mayor) off the hook that easily just because they answered your email and pretend to care about your concerns. The simple fact that they introduced something so unnecessary should show you their underlying mission.

There are already regulations in place to prevent drunken bartending. If there is a specific problem going on in a specific bar then the current regulations should be enforced.

This alder and the mayor who obviously know very little about bartending should not be allowed to ram thru an ordinance that will do nothing to improve anything regarding safety, alcohol culture, etc.

If they really want to improve something, they should concentrate on offering free alcohol treatment for those who really want it. Currently it is very expensive and many who really want or need it cannot afford it.

kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 pm

everyday I read the news in this town, everyday I'm convinced the folks who run it are fucking clowns. I can't believe I voted for some of these petty short sighted folks..

Anyway...so what does this law mean to fine brewpub/brewery employees? They are licensed establishments. Its their JOB to taste and drink the beer. Quality control.
Capital
Ale Asylum
Great Dane
Vintage
this is going to piss A LOT of folks off

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:09 pm

If everyone on this thread got together, filled recall papers and then did a recall petition canvass in Schumacher's district I'm sure that would be enough to freak the living shit out of this clown. Anyone else interested in setting a meet-up to put the living fear of torches and pitch-forks from the town folks into this bozo's political future? It would probably not be a problem to organize 50-100 or more musicians and bartenders to blanket clown-alder's district to canvass a recall.

anotherguitarplayer

Postby anotherguitarplayer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Here is another email address you may want to correspond to. It belongs to the sponsor of the bill, Mr. Michael Schumacher michael@michaelschumacher.us
Perhaps he should hear from enough people to understand this is nuts.
How many bands do you suppose won't be coming to town when Madison becomes "Pleasantville"?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 am

OK, so, everyone who is coming to this conversation thanks to Jonathan and "Kitty" on Triple M, please take note. I know those two made their whole show on the back of this topic and this Forum thread specifically, but please go back and read the whole thing (unlike the show hosts).

Disingenuous or not, Schumacher has already responded and stated that bands were never intended to be targeted by this action, and will be exempted. The other complaints are still valid, but despite morning radio running wild with this, the band issue is pretty much moot.

(edited to repair fat iphone fingers)
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 am

eriedasch wrote:
supaunknown wrote:I'm with Verveer. The ordinance seems unnecessary.

From the Isthmus article:
Ald. Mike Verveer, a member of the ALRC, doesn't support the ordinance, which is similar to a proposal introduced at the state level that has drawn similar flak.

"I believe it's a solution in search of a problem," says Verveer, noting that there's already a city ordinance against bartenders being drunk while on duty. "I don't see a crying need for this."

I second this and would not let Shumacher (and the mayor) off the hook that easily just because they answered your email and pretend to care about your concerns. The simple fact that they introduced something so unnecessary should show you their underlying mission.

There are already regulations in place to prevent drunken bartending. If there is a specific problem going on in a specific bar then the current regulations should be enforced.

This alder and the mayor who obviously know very little about bartending should not be allowed to ram thru an ordinance that will do nothing to improve anything regarding safety, alcohol culture, etc.

If they really want to improve something, they should concentrate on offering free alcohol treatment for those who really want it. Currently it is very expensive and many who really want or need it cannot afford it.

Verveer hit the nail on the head with that statement. Drinking is still legal in this state. Laws are already in effect to keep bartenders and servers from acting irresponsibly.

Being sloppy drunk while bar tending doesn't happen as much as Schumacher thinks, most bartenders worth their salt don't get drunk behind the bar, its a b*tch to run a till when you're hammered, its horrible trying to keep more than 2 drink orders at a time memorized, and don't even get me started on the hangover that sets in about the time you have to start cleaning up your station, its just not a fun night at work! **yes, I've learned this lesson the hard way -- as most young bartenders have when they start out. but its a lesson you only want to learn once!***

Honestly there's a million things I'd like to unload on Schumacher and Dave about their little fit of hyper-superiority on the lowly working class, but it would just come across too "Dennis Miller."

-Dan Motor
Last edited by Endo Rockstar on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:00 am

Right, it's fine that Schumacher wants to backpedal to eliminate the bands, put in provisions for tastings, etc. But what's the bottom line here, anyway? The chef in the back who's been hunched over a hot stove can't have a beer while he/she scrubs down the prep table? The bartender can't nurse a cocktail while he/she counts his tips? The manager can't join a regular at the bar for a vodka tonic on his/her break? Well, I guess it doesn't matter, they're all just working their service industry jobs for the money and prestige anyway.

The service industry is and always has been fairly self-regulatory, for the reasons Dan pointed out and because it's a tight knit community. Nobody--including bar and restaurant staff-- thinks it's a good idea to have a drunk bartender or waitress or chef. If someone's wasted on the job, just like in any other occupation, they get fired or at least suspended. But what prompted this blanket, redundant clampdown?

kvh

Postby kvh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I emailed the sponsors and Michael Schumacher let me know he withdrew his sponsorship because of feedback like mine.

Let's keep working on the others.

foozyerdaddy

Postby foozyerdaddy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm

ever wonder what the whiskey rebellion ACTUALLY looked like?

Gruter

Postby Gruter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 am

1. how are we to regulate this as staff? hire an extra bouncer to be at the stage to babysit? of course not. not only is it ridiculous on principle, but financially impractical.

2. musicians are hired to perform, not to keep track of customers alcohol intake, money intake, carding, or other issues of responsibility. Why does it matter if they drink while performing??

3. Drinking is a RIGHT of a performer. They/we are the entertainment, and if they/we want to drink on stage after hours of practice, dedication to craft, booking, driving to the gig, loading in, setting up equipment, sound checking, and then getting up in front of a crowd to exhibit your talent/sweat/tears/commitment/sacrifices with all you got, then (expletive), they/we better be able to have a sip between songs. We're not children, for crying out loud.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:38 am

Glad you're paying attention, Gruter.

:roll:

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Glad you're paying attention, Gruter.

...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he plays bass =)

-Dan Motor (ahem...another bass player)

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Glad you're paying attention, Gruter.

...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he plays bass =)

-Dan Motor (ahem...another bass player)

Nah, she's one of my favorite bartenders.

I'm willing to give her a break on not reading every post as I like my Jack and Cokes strong.

Return to “Madison Music”