best open mic ?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Re: best open mic ?

Postby spacetiki » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:45 pm

muddyleadwater wrote:hey hombres identity has been revealed... not all of are in bands and depend on the open mics

For what?

muddyleadwater

Postby muddyleadwater » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

performing

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 pm

I don't think Hey Hombre was speaking against open mics, being a frequent Open mic performer himself. Glad you are aware of his identity, though!

I go to Mickeys, it's fun there. I'm reminded of the time I was playing and someone seated at the bar said to their stool-neighbor, "Actually, this is a really good song." Better than the time I was stumbling through some song and someone way at the back of the bar shouted, "CUT YOUR LOSSES!" I agreed.

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am

Well I read the post and I'm not saying that the Mercury Lounge on Monday nights starting at 7pm is the best open mic.

But I am saying if you have nothing to do on a Monday and would like to watch me or Chris Skinner perform and also perform a little yourself come to 117 East Mifflin.

But of coarse it's a bar.

However it's really more of a restaurant bar and it has some pretty good food.

juniorredwood

Postby juniorredwood » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:31 am

Saw Art at Union last week and was awed. I play a country parody (of country life-original songs) and have had some problems at the union with those who are easily offended. Is their an open mic that will accept the fact that I am poking fun at country life,not advocating for it?

I would play more if I knew more about them. Is there a good list somewhere? I went to one on Friday on Johnson street (i think) and the door was open and place was empty.

Until I can wrangle a gig open mic is the only place where I can let strangers hear my songs. Open mics are great and you can't do much about people who are bad or annoying other than limit them by time. I think those who rudely interrupt me while I am playing would agree, especially when my time is up.

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Another one that I don't host that I kind of like is at The Brocach at 8:30 on tuesday nights.

They give you a free drink for performing.

Return to “Madison Music”