best open mic ?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
muddyleadwater

best open mic ?

Postby muddyleadwater » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:27 pm

what would be the most popular, most attended open mic in town? I've gone to a few and the lack of an audience and musicians was utterly pitiful. I'm starting to think Madison's local music is skimpy and virtually non-existent. A little direction here!

hey hombre
Forum Addict

Re: best open mic ?

Postby hey hombre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:34 am

Pretty skimpy.....try Mickeys......Or, if'n you wanna hang out with a bunch of Dave Matthews pukes, the Rathskellar; I haven't been there since they had a pianer.

christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:56 am

muddyleadwater wrote:I've gone to a few and the lack of an audience and musicians was utterly pitiful. I'm starting to think Madison's local music is skimpy and virtually non-existent. A little direction here!

John Mendels(s)ohn?

diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:44 am

christopher wrote:
muddyleadwater wrote:I've gone to a few and the lack of an audience and musicians was utterly pitiful. I'm starting to think Madison's local music is skimpy and virtually non-existent. A little direction here!

John Mendels(s)ohn?

totes.

hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby hey hombre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:56 pm

To be fair, judging a music scene based on it's open mics seems kinda moronic. Most open mics are lame by definition: any old d-bag is allowed to play. Let me know when you find a suitable open mic for yourself, Muddyleadwater, I wanna hear if YOUR musicality is "Skimpy or virtually non-existant"

...........hmm, I'm starting to feel competetive.... :D

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:15 pm

hey hombre wrote:Most open mics are lame by definition: any old d-bag is allowed to play.

When I host the Mickey's open mike, any old d-bag is encouraged to play.

The Unibummer motto:

"You don't have to suck to play the Mickey's Open Mike - but it helps!"

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Marvell wrote:
hey hombre wrote:Most open mics are lame by definition: any old d-bag is allowed to play.

When I host the Mickey's open mike, any old d-bag is encouraged to play.

The Unibummer motto:

"You don't have to suck to play the Mickey's Open Mike - but it helps!"

Now I know where to go when I decide to come out of the guitar closet.

Finally, I have found my people!

hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby hey hombre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Walter, even tho you're a NEWB, you have good taste in music, which puts you miles ahead of alot of other open mic'ers: your good taste will be appreciated at Mickeys, Madisons finest open mic.

ps- are you on the beat next Thursday? If not (or if so), come down to the Frequency and Vote For THE BEAT!!!!!!!!! :D

chance
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Marvell wrote:When I host the Mickey's open mike, any old d-bag is encouraged to play.

You missed an opportunity to say, so this old d-bag will give you another one:

I know where it is, but when exactly is the Mickey's open mike (day, time)?

And, BTW, what kind of stuff do you tend to get there - people doing covers? or are there songwriters doing their own originals ?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Sunday night, ten-ish. I'm hosting this Sunday, fwiw. Don't know if that's more a turn-off than a turn-on, but there it is.

We definitely get a mix. Some people do their own stuff; other people do covers. I myself usually do both.

Talent level is all over the map. There's a different host each week, and we each run it our own way; I try to give everybody 20 minutes, more or less - I figure that's five four-minute songs, which should be enough for anyone but the most ego-crazed.

I had a guy the last time I did it who took about ten minutes to set up, and was kind of a jerk to me. But his shtick, when he finally got around to doing it, was hilarious - so it's all good.

Bottom line - I don't take it personally. Anyone getting all bitter about an open mike is taking themselves waaaaay too seriously.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:40 pm

hey hombre wrote:Walter, even tho you're a NEWB, you have good taste in music, which puts you miles ahead of alot of other open mic'ers: your good taste will be appreciated at Mickeys, Madisons finest open mic.

ps- are you on the beat next Thursday? If not (or if so), come down to the Frequency and Vote For THE BEAT!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm working so we will see...I hope to stop in to put my vote in the ballot box and maybe catch a song or two.

A small cog in the machine is pulling for the Midwest Beat...good luck, fellas!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Open mics serve a noble purpose. I had formative/terrifying experiences performing at open mics many years ago, and I wouldn't trade them. My hat is off to the open mic people.

spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacetiki » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Zac and I recently did a cover of "Here, There and Everywhere" w/ Zac doing the vocals on Theremin at Mickey's.

Followed by a heart-wrenching version of "Lucky Man".

You never know what you're gonna get at an open mic. :D

KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:34 pm

I haven't done one in ages so I dunno what's out there now.

But from past experience, since I like to be listened to, I prefer coffeehouse vs bars. People there are nicer, and they seem to be there to listen instead of just drinikin and talkin.

muddyleadwater

Postby muddyleadwater » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:03 pm

hey hombres identity has been revealed... not all of us are in bands and depend on the open mics
Last edited by muddyleadwater on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Madison Music”