Forward Music Fest thoughts

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Re: Forward Music Fest thoughts

Postby Jeribelle » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Someone already mentioned this before, but a more diverse line up would be cool for next year. Maybe some more "check out my awesome distortion pedal and inaudible lyrics" bands and less "check out my mustache and tight pants" bands. Just my opinion.

spookster86

Postby spookster86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:16 am

no comment
Last edited by spookster86 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:53 am

spookster86 wrote:Many words

I can see how that would take two months to write.

defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 am

spookster86 wrote:We agreed on a total price for both nights and proceeded to do the gigs. And guess what, we still haven't gotten paid a penny for doing the gig. What a joke!!!

This is ridiculous. That's unacceptable, but not a surprise. The kids running this thing have no idea what they're doing and shouldn't be running this...end of story.

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Stomach wrote:
spookster86 wrote:Many words

I can see how that would take two months to write.

Seriously...and people don't buy tickets to hear their favorite sound engineer - they pay to hear/see the band. I don't think I've ever seen a band scratched for an incident like you describe. Wouldn't your contract with FMF waive your liability for projectile gear and cover any damage to your gear?

I'm sure you probably did your best to make that drummer and his band sound awesome after his little explosion. The knobs are in your hands...as well as the band's fate once they start performing.

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Jeribelle wrote:Maybe some more "check out my awesome distortion pedal and inaudible lyrics" bands and less "check out my mustache and tight pants" bands.

I LOVE this. Right on. Only partially because I'm in one of those distortion/inaudible lyrics bands.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 am

keelio wrote:I'm sure you probably did your best to make that drummer and his band sound awesome after his little explosion. The knobs are in your hands...as well as the band's fate once they start performing.

All the more reason NOT to piss off the sound tech.

My experiences with spookster86 and his sound/production company have always been very good and professional. One of the more friendly easy going sound techs I've dealt with.

spookster86

Postby spookster86 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 pm

no comment
Last edited by spookster86 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 am

Maybe next year they should call it Ass-Backwards Music Fest. At least then everyone will know what they're getting into.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:09 pm

double post
my mistake
Last edited by charliedon'tsurf on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 pm

spookster86 wrote:
eriedasch wrote:
keelio wrote:I'm sure you probably did your best to make that drummer and his band sound awesome after his little explosion. The knobs are in your hands...as well as the band's fate once they start performing.

All the more reason NOT to piss off the sound tech.

My experiences with spookster86 and his sound/production company have always been very good and professional. One of the more friendly easy going sound techs I've dealt with.

Thanks for the kind words. I would never make a band sound bad because of a situation like that. I want everybody to sound good because it reflects directly on me and our company. I still feel that the band should have been kicked out. Or at the very least, the drummer should have been kicked out. If I was promoting the show, I would have booted him. A drunken guy like that is a liability in general, no matter how you look at it.

Also, for the record, I would like to say that I don't believe I was intentionally ripped off by the FMF organizers. I think that that the whole thing is a great idea and could potentially be very cool. I do however feel that the crap hit the fan for them, for whatever reason, and my company ended up getting the shaft for it. If you couldn't tell, I was a little pissed off when I wrote my first entry. And to be honest, I'm still a bit pissed off because my crew and I work our butts off and we deserve to be compensated for our time and expertise. Well, the crew has already been paid, but you know what I mean. For those that don't know, the PA/lighting company crew are always the first ones into the venue, often times early in the morning, and always the last ones to leave at the end of the night.

In addition, I've read the entire thread/s on this whole topic and it's noted numerous times directly by the FMF organizers that this isn't a full-time gig for them and it's really more of a one festival per year sort of thing. That explains a lot of things if you think about it. Anybody that has ever done or been involved with promoting shows/concerts/festivals in any capacity knows that it's like trying to herd cats. It's hard enough to promote a one-off show with 3 or 4 bands in one venue and pull it off with success and actually make a profit, let alone promote a festival with multiple venues and over 100 bands. You've gotta walk before you can run. If I were them, I would have recruited/consulted/or partnered up with a promoter that has more experience. I'm not surprised that there were a ton of problems.

I was booking agent and stage manager for that show at the Stage Door last September. Although just to clarify I was not one of the main organizers of the entire festival and had nothing to do with FMF this year because I moved to the Twin Cities.

Dude, your sound lackeys did the worst job soundwise out of any show since I started booking back in 1987. Anyone who was at that show can damn well attest to how bad you made all seven acts sound.

We have some mutual friends who say you yourself are competent as a sound tech, but you have a tendency to hire MMI trainees that just don't the skills to run large PAs and troubleshoot. The band change overs took for fucking ever and then the bands still sounded like shit when you crew finally competed line checks.

I thought it was great when Layne from Dillinger Four tossed your goddamn wedge off stage since your employees were utterly retarded at their job for the previous six bands. I told D4 as much and encouraged them to play a long encore to further piss you and your crew off. Thanks for pretty much wrecking the best punk rock bill Madison saw in 2008 and let me reiterate what I have typed on this board before: Fuck Ghost Sound.

christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:47 am

just want to point out that we did not have ANY problems at ChopperFest 2 this year ...

hey hombre
Forum Addict

Postby hey hombre » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Chopperfest was the best madison PUNK ROCK SHOW of '09!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

spookster86

Postby spookster86 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 pm

no comment
Last edited by spookster86 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:11 pm

spookster86 wrote:On another note, why would you encourage and be happy that somebody would damage our gear and potentially seriously hurt somebody?

He's just that punk.

Return to “Madison Music”