Deleted thread

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Deleted thread

Postby benfury » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:In keeping the spirit of the deleted thread I would like to therefore call out local sound company Ghost Sound. I had the misfortune of working with them at the Orpheum Stage Door in September.

yeah. they sucked. i was at that show. horrible sound.

horrible in between band music too!

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:56 am

benfury wrote:yeah. they sucked. i was at that show. horrible sound.

horrible in between band music too!

I bear a portion of the blame for the dreadful alternative music between bands. In anticipation of the show, I made a badass CD comp mixing fine classics and modern punk bands to play in between what I considered to be an amazing bill of bands. However waking up severely hungover from the generous amount of Furthermore beer provided to FMF conspired with the early start time to apparently force me to forget the CD on the kitchen table. Leaving us with a regrettable soundtrack of Alice In Chili Peppers and Third Eye Jam. Which was further exasperated by the fact that the fools impersonating qualified sound techs took 45 minutes for band change overs and then not even make bands sound decent. Whereas working with quality sound people a new band should be set up and totally dialed in within 20 minutes .

I took good sound people for granted working in Madison clubs, but I won't ever work another show unless I am hiring a soundcrew I can trust. I did not hire that company and hence reminded a very valuable lesson. It does not matter how awesome of a line up you book if the sound crew is so bad that what comes out of the PA stacks sounds like mud. On the brightside Lane from D4 threw one of their monitors off the five foot high stage enraging the morons at Ghost Sound. It was the least my bands could have done in reaction to incompetence.

dead ed

Postby dead ed » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Huckleby wrote:When you attack somebody by name, that information comes-up in google searches for the rest of their life. This is serious, dirty business, it can amount to a permanent, unremovable blacklist. Whether it is legal or not, its unfair to allow such damage without restraint or justice.

ISTHMUS should not tolerate this behavior in their forum. It doesn't matter if somebody claims it is justified in some particular incident, the accusor will ALWAYS claim this is the case.

Attacking somebody by name from an anonymous internet handle is cowardly and unethical.

admin wrote: It wasn't because it specifically named an individual and questioned his professionalism.

We all have professions. This opens a window to smear anyone's character based on their "professionalism."

Would you mind telling me your real name, admin? I wish to make some comments about your professionalism that will be with you for the rest of your life.

Just to clarify, I don't believe that Google will index these forum pages (bots don't go deep enough into dynamic content - start doing some searches and prove me wrong), so we can slam each other until joyce deletes it. :wink:

It's kind of like Vegas - what happens here...

Sure the internet is a cesspool, but what about facebook? Using your real name is the whole point. Plenty of people use their real names in forums and have no problems, but I agree it's best to be careful - I'm not brave enough to use my real name here, cuz ur all a bunch of scarey mf'ers and I want to leave my options open when it comes to tarnishing your reputations.

Jake, you go dude. good sounding bands are just as important as good drink and drugs (huh, there's a good reason to remain anonymous right there).

eddie

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Steady, eddie - don't go posting details of your divorce on here just yet. Google certainly does index this forum, just try searching on "dead ed" site:thedailpage.com. A long time ago, the spiders didn't index dynamic content pages, but they do now.

About five years ago, roughly the Precambrian era of the internet, some strange person from a forum started harassing me. In earlier days, people commonly used their real names, so he pieced together lots of little details about me and people I knew from old web sites and posts. He tried to taunt and scare me with all he was able to learn. He was a pretty impressive detective, I could provide him with an enthusiastic reference for certain lines of work. It was a creepy and unnerving experience.

I would say it is best to limit criticism to business names rather than personal names. Not on the merits of any particular incident, but as a matter of good form. If you slam somebody by name, others are encouraged to follow this same slippery slope. Slander is too easy and damaging on the internet.

dead ed

Postby dead ed » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:39 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point is that a potential harasser that didn't know you were here wouldn't be able to find your posts here via google (and then use it to build up crap on you). A site specific search won't help them if they don't know you're here.

I've found the site specific searches to be very handy in building a sites search engine. Just submit the form to google behind the scenes and read the results into your program and display them back.

Yes dynamic pages are found in a site specific search, but why don't the very same pages show up by typing in just "dead ed"? It's because non site specific google results have problems with going more than a couple of levels deep in to dynamic pages. This site is no different. Pages that eventually link to viewtopic.php do show up in a non site specific google searches, but the viewtopic.php pages don't as they are too deep.

That's why google has this:
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=34431

The above link says this about dynamic pages: "However, these pages can cause problems for our crawler and may be ignored." And my experience says that yes, indeed the deeper ones are.

Yes, typing someone's real name in to google can reveal a lot about them, but it won't serve up any viewtopic.php pages which is where the message text is displayed.

I am not a professional, but just someone who has worked with this on a few websites and I've had to submit a lot of deeper dynamic pages to google so that they'd be found.

The reason that I don't use my real name here isn't because I want to flame people-sorry for the sarcasm in previous post. I didn't intend that to be taken seriously. It's that I want to be able to honestly discuss issues like gun control, gay marriage, birth control etc. without the same kind of nut harassing me as did you. I think we have common ground there?

Sorry for the pain of your harassment, I didn't mean to make it worse. My divorce is already painfully public. Demi and Ashton are together now and I've moved on.

thanks, ed

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 am

dead ed wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point is that a potential harasser that didn't know you were here wouldn't be able to find your posts here via google (and then use it to build up crap on you). A site specific search won't help them if they don't know you're here.

This is very confusing. The site-specific search was just to demonstrate that google indexes these pages. General searches will pull the info back too.

Stay strong, Ed, there are a lot of fish in the ocean. And don't listen to moralizers who say there is something wrong with having sex with fish.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 am

The site-specific search was just to demonstrate that google indexes these pages. General searches will pull the info back too.

I think you were just told very specifically and in great detail that that's not the case.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:41 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:On the brightside Lane from D4 threw one of their monitors off the five foot high stage enraging the morons at Ghost Sound.

that was hilarious!

slake

Postby slake » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 am

dead ed wrote:Just to clarify, I don't believe that Google will index these forum pages (bots don't go deep enough into dynamic content - start doing some searches and prove me wrong), so we can slam each other until joyce deletes it. :wink:
It's kind of like Vegas - what happens here...

Did you even bother to try it out yourself before you asked others to prove you wrong?

How about this very thread? Google:results

Even better, do a search on the name in the original thread with site:thedailypage.com added. While the result points to the now defunct thread, check out the cached page.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Very good. Now can you do it the way dead ed said you should, which is to remove the site limiter? And pick an older, deader thread, since we're talking about posterity here.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22torture+in+madison%22

If a thread gets deleted from thedailypage.com, Google doesn't hold a cache of it.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:37 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
The site-specific search was just to demonstrate that google indexes these pages. General searches will pull the info back too.

I think you were just told very specifically and in great detail that that's not the case.

Nobody has spoken to me like this since the nuns in Catholic school.
Best wishes with whatever stress you are experiencing.

The idea that google would keep seperate data for site-specified searches makes no sense on the face of it. I just tried a general search, and it brings all the same links bank from dynamic pages in this forum.

Return to “Madison Music”