Reminiscing

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Reminiscing

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:25 am

eriedasch wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:ended up being memorizing.

I agree, was memorizing (or maybe it was mezmorizing?).

Ugh, last time I trust auto-correct. And yeah... although now that I check again, it seems to be "mesmerizing". Dammit.

Another local memory...

When the Orpheum last reopened under new management ('99?), they held a huge New Year's Eve bash, with entertainment on both stages and in the hallways until 5 am (when the basement flooded).

One of the many bands/DJ's that night was Knuckel Drager on the Stage Door stage. We got to our places, the room was thick with various types of smoke, and they took the stage.

They had their standard video projection behind them, but something was... different. Instead of 50's-era car races, we got the opening scene to The Muppet Show, with Kermit playing banjo in his swampy home, while Drager hit the surf-metal hard.

Well that was damn amusing, as you might expect. However, about five minutes into it, I noticed the images were changing-- suddenly there were a whole lot more flesh tones to the screen.

Turns out they had (someone correct me if they know otherwise) projected a second video to the screen of some 70's skin flick, with the main actor having a rubber dick on his nose for a prop. Yes, it was used.

Mind you, the Muppet Movie never left the screen.

*whew* Can someone back me up on this, or was it just an odd dream?

christopher
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 pm

LOST SOUNDS @ THE ANCHOR INN w/ CATHOLIC BOYS !!!!!!!!!!!

also:
- Catholic Boys / AssBlownOff @ Ken's Bar !
- The Figgs 2 weeks ago @ the High Noon !

most fun show i've ever played in Madison = Midwest Beat @ the last King Club show ever

sule
Forum Addict

Postby sule » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 pm

christopher wrote:LOST SOUNDS @ THE ANCHOR INN w/ CATHOLIC BOYS !!!!!!!!!!!

ditto on that one!!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Sometime around '90. It was a Gomer's-hosted New Band Wednesday at Club de Wash. I think they played that one awesome rock/yodeling song. I could be wrong but I think Drug Induced Nightmare might've played that night too. However, the huge surprise of the evening was this rather dorky looking bunch on guys dressed in bad polyester cowboy outfits. They got their stuff set up on stage, including a hefty bag full of ... hay? Well, they EXPLODED from note one. Hay went flying everywhere. The lead singer, who earlier had seemed quite unassuming, ruled the stage with total authority. It seemed like they immediately jumpstarted everyone within earshot. The crowd went wild. That was my introduction to Detroit's Goober & The Peas.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 am

supaunknown wrote:That was my introduction to Detroit's Goober & The Peas.

It appears they broke up in '95.
http://www.gooberandthepeas.net

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:37 am

One more local memory from me (at least from the local rock scene-- plenty of other stories from other genres, but this seems to be the thread's scope):

Sometime during the first incarnation of Mad Trucker Gone Mad, they played at The Inferno following a bout of mud wrestling. (Remember that trend that lasted a year or two?)

Wrestling was on the floor in front of the stage, with a plastic ground cloth surrounded by bales of hay to corral the mud. After the match (as entertaining as you'd expect), the bales were removed, but a lake of mud remained on the floor.

Mad Trucker took the stage, but before the first note was played, Isaac got inspired. Still wearing his guitar, he jumped off the stage and took a running leap face-first through the mud, sliding a few feet before getting back up on stage and hitting the first mud-encrusted power chord.

Classic.

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 pm

I heard a rumor the other day the Klinic space is going to be a Pizza Hut :?

dutch

Postby dutch » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:45 am

Ahhhhhh and who here could forget the legendary Bleeding Crack concert at OKs Anchor Inn. Mr. Green had just come upstairs after hours down downstairs with a minor and a bag of blow only to discover his six pack of beer had been drunk in the interval by the one hundred and fifty people illegally crammed into his bar, and somone would have to make a beer run ha ha ha. Good times.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:45 am

dutch wrote:Ahhhhhh and who here could forget the legendary Bleeding Crack concert at OKs Anchor Inn. Mr. Green had just come upstairs after hours down downstairs with a minor and a bag of blow only to discover his six pack of beer had been drunk in the interval by the one hundred and fifty people illegally crammed into his bar, and somone would have to make a beer run ha ha ha. Good times.

Looks like we've got ourselves a new music section curmudgeon. Welcome aboard, Salty.

J.M.
Forum Addict

Postby J.M. » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:58 pm

dutch wrote:Ahhhhhh and who here could forget the legendary Bleeding Crack concert at OKs Anchor Inn. Mr. Green had just come upstairs after hours down downstairs with a minor and a bag of blow only to discover his six pack of beer had been drunk in the interval by the one hundred and fifty people illegally crammed into his bar, and somone would have to make a beer run ha ha ha. Good times.

Regardless of how this was intended, I enjoyed the dickens out of it. Hi-five.

I thought basement blow was primarily a King Club tradition, ah well.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Kev wrote:Image

Dave Junker brought Romulans class to the Junkers.

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Kenneth, you guys were all classy! But Dave brings class wherever he goes. He even teaches class sometimes. :wink:

This was at O'Cayz in 1990 or '91:

Return to “Madison Music”