Reminiscing

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Reminiscing

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:"See, I was about to lose it there but I held it together for all you fuckers".

I think Tommy Lee said something similar at the Coliseum the other night.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am

Kyle -- I'm shocked to learn of my misremembered chronology.
SHOCKED!

I can't imagine why these events would be so fuzzy...

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:05 am

I have very fond memories of seeing Headpump at O'Cayz with Siggi on drums, and the only stage lighting to speak of was an overhead projector with a friend waving various gels over the plate. Seemed ridiculous at first, but then ended up being memorizing.

The band was tight, and Siggi was a ridiculously good drummer (and I'm sure still is).

Biff also had his Bat-Fiddle.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 pm

ilikebeans wrote:I have very fond memories of seeing Headpump at O'Cayz with Siggi on drums, and the only stage lighting to speak of was an overhead projector with a friend waving various gels over the plate. Seemed ridiculous at first, but then ended up being memorizing.

The band was tight, and Siggi was a ridiculously good drummer (and I'm sure still is).

I attended a few of those. Pretty new to town and not much exposure to anything but metal bands in rock clubs back home, I was blown away by Headpump's weirdness. I remember one of those gels had a spider-web effect that I agree, was memorizing (or maybe it was mezmorizing?). Either way, it was pretty cool and one of those O'Cayz moments I remember it like it was yesterday.

Anyone attend the show at O'Cayz where the band used so much fog that you could barely see your hand in front of your face and someone called the fire dept. due to what looked like smoke billowing out the door? I think the band was Acumen or some techno-metal group. I just about fell over laughing when I finally realized why the firemen were there in full fire fighting gear.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm

I remember seeing DRI in the late 90s at O'Cayz and the set list was as tall as the guitar player Spike Cassidy. I'd say 2/3 of the club was a mosh pit.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Little River Band THIS, assholes!!!

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:14 pm

This would have been back in late summer 1988, before I even moved to Madison; my brother and I came down to hang out with my college buddy Jon and his roommates Erik and Murph (and their little dog, Rudy). We decided to go to a big party at James Madison Park.

This one punk band there starts into a cover of Fear's "Let's Have a War." Right after the lead singer shrieks out 'Let's have a war / we need the space' all the power goes out.

I also have a relatively vivid memory of seeing The Quickies open for Old 97's at O'Cayz in (what would it have been?) 1998 or 1999, and in particular Anna and Pete K. doing the whole "Diamond / Wasteland" thing they used to do, and thinking that it was total genius.

I don't have a lot of other memories of going to shows during that period of my life, mainly because I was chronically totally fucking broke.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:29 pm

can't help but chiming in:

Mickey's open mics in the Brady Potts days. Great Shinky/BobKoch/MattJoyce collaborations. And Potts pulling off Replacement covers.

The Slipper Club show where Digibot's Big Mike put on the wedding dress and sombrero. Also, the Hillcrest house show where Big Mike humped the bar. Oh, and speaking of SlipperClub, the "sweet home alabama" episode, for those who were there or saw the tape.

Every Paragraphs show at the Anchor. Almost like a religious experience, a musical/political catharsis.

Everytime the Arkoffs played "that's the way a woman is". And "10years". Or is it "12years" now?

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Oh, and The Runners-Up playing spelling bee. I don't know how many different places I would see them play that song, and when the part at the end came up where Goodness and Koch do that high harmony, you could just look at the faces of everyone else around and see a collective 'wow' moment; the type of beautiful sound that made the hair on my arms stand up everytime.

zonker

Postby zonker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:21 am

This one punk band there starts into a cover of Fear's "Let's Have a War." Right after the lead singer shrieks out 'Let's have a war / we need the space' all the power goes out.

That was actually Last Crack, Madison"s finest metal band.
I think the lineup that year was Poopshovel, Tar Babies, Last Crack and Die Kreuzen. Maybe Cattleprod was in there as well, or maybe that was another year. Those were fun shows.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 am

I feel very nostalgic for...

* That show my soul band played at the Crystal last weekend.
* The unique experience of seeing the Euge holler "Wilmaaaaaah" several times Wednesday night.
* Typing this very forum post, which I will one day look back upon fondly.

(That being said, I do miss those Super Eights quite a bit.)

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:39 am

rrnate wrote:(That being said, I do miss those Super Eights quite a bit.)

That time The Super Eights played at Luther's was excellent. Rufus running sound. When they hit the loud part on "Texas" it sounded literally like a Wisconsin Pop Explosion, with Potts zinging stray sparks all over on the lap steel.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 am

Seeing Sailor Harlot at Catacombs for the first time, I want to say I was 18 or 19 and (i think) they were opening for Paris, Texas (who at the time had heads about as big as the room)

The Luther's Blues Motorz gig where Josh Motor's Mom walked up to the stage and took my beer away from me because "she thought I had enough." (There's a recording of this show somewhere that Kyle, Josh, and I searched desperately for but may be lost forever...it was another Rufus show)

Seeing Breaking Pangaea at the Bassett house, and letting them crash on my floor for the night...I think Will went on to play for one of the big scream-o bands--Taking Back Sunday (?) of the mid 00's, and I was very disappointed in him =)

God, I'm sure there's more I've forgotten....I don't really remember (vividly) a single show we played at the Anchor. Kyle and I would be watching an opening band at one of our shows later on, and I'd say something about really liking them and be surprised we hadn't played with them before. At which time Kyle would inform me that we played multiple shows with them at the Anchor......hahaha! My bad!

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 pm

eriedasch wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:I have very fond memories of seeing Headpump at O'Cayz with Siggi on drums, and the only stage lighting to speak of was an overhead projector with a friend waving various gels over the plate. Seemed ridiculous at first, but then ended up being memorizing.

I attended a few of those. Pretty new to town and not much exposure to anything but metal bands in rock clubs back home, I was blown away by Headpump's weirdness. I remember one of those gels had a spider-web effect that I agree, was memorizing (or maybe it was mezmorizing?). Either way, it was pretty cool and one of those O'Cayz moments I remember it like it was yesterday.

I almost remember that.
Props go to artist Michael Matheson for the moirés and toy turtles..

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Babes in Toyland supporting their Nemesisters album at the Paramount. Must have been 1995. Somehow we convinced my friend's country-loving older sister to take a few of us 15 year olds. It was the one and only show I saw there.

A band called Stepchild opened up. The female guitarist wore a striped see-through shirt without a bra. That might have been the first non-familial boob I'd seen. She threw out cassettes after their last song and handed one directly to me. I still have it somewhere...

I don't recall much of Babes in Toyland's set. We were all quite taken with Kat. They ended the show with their take on "We are Family," for which they invited the audience on stage. I think my friend got up there and lost a shoe but gained one of Lori's drumsticks.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:06 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Thanks for the kind words about the Junkers. It was a thrilling time.

Let me add:

Pre-Junkers, the ... um, Benders, String Benders...? Ugh, years ago.

You opened for us at a basement party on Ingersoll. A very decidedly country band opening for a very decidedly non-country band. In truth, you guys were much tighter than us that night, and we should have opened for you.

There is tape of you joining in to sing with us at the end of the night. I understand you've heard it recently. :twisted:

Return to “Madison Music”