Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 am

This, to me, is embarrassing. My guess is that someone, like a fan of new country music, thought it was a great idea to book this Nashville hair band whose biggest hit is a note-for-note cover of an entirely unremarkable song. And now they need to dump tickets? In this economy? Who would have ever predicted?!?!

Also on the bill: Jessica Simpson.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 am

Like them or not this band has sold over 16 Million records domestically with over 4 Million track downloads from just their most recent album. They are less hair band than they are a country boy band. That said I don't like them one bit but I don't see how they would have trouble selling out the Kohl Center. My girl has tickets to this and got them the day they went on sale.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am

fisticuffs wrote:I don't see how they would have trouble selling out the Kohl Center.

Believe it, fisti. A week out, they're selling cut-rate tix to UW students and hyping the show on the home page of the ATHLETICS website.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:47 am

Is that not a normal thing for the UW to have for events on it's property? Could this be something in the contract that maybe UW gets so many discounted seats for the students? I don't know I'm honestly asking. Rascal Flatts is one of the top grossing touring acts in the country. I just can't help but think there isn't something else going on here. Maybe it's Bush's recession.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 am

It always cracks me up that they're described as a "boy band" - those are some ugly dudes.

That being said, they really are very popular and have been for something like eight years now.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm guessing Alvarez and/or Bielema are fans.

At the very least, more fodder for their ouster.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 pm

More people in the seats = more concessions money for UW. Thats my guess.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm

... depending on how much cash they're out for hosting the event itself, with attendant staffing costs.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Guilty pleasure. I like country music. Like Rascal Flats too. Sorry. Buy I understand where y'all are comin' from.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm

ya know this is the kind of thread that jason joyce rightfully calls out from time to time as lame snobbery, and just giving pointless ammo to people who like to call folks around here "the madison elite", "effete", "snobbish", etc.

i just know any minute now, jason is gonna come on here and bust balls on whoever started this embarrassing thread...

i just know it.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:04 pm

harrissimo wrote:Guilty pleasure. I like country music. Like Rascal Flats too. Sorry. Buy I understand where y'all are comin' from.
I honestly would be hard pressed to come up with a post with a lower ratio of keystrokes to destroyed credibility.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Several key strokes have destroyed my motor ability.

Here's your winning formula:
Re-record a great oldie and make it sound BIG. No one will want to buy the original version once they get an earful of your stadium-friendly NASCAR mix. Cut the sleeves off ALL your shirts. Get a tan and frost your hair. Bam!

You can thank me later + 10%.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:01 pm

Look, I don't care who actually likes Rascal Flats. I'm saying that there's no way in hell that band justifies the Kohl Center in terms of space, particularly at this time of year in this particular year.

People aren't going to concerts, so it's going to take something really special to get them to part with dough. Is this special? I don't think it's even that special to people who have Q106 and Star Country preset on their car radios. Whether this is real country or not, it's just not that compelling.

So as a taxpayer, I'm wondering how much of a bag the UW will be left holding if this thing bombs. And why is the Athletic Department in the position of having to hype this show when they have actual teams of student athletes (women's hockey, for instance) that are far more deserving of the attention and, frankly, entitled to the publicity on their website's home page.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

jjoyce wrote:Look, I don't care who actually likes Rascal Flats. I'm saying that there's no way in hell that band justifies the Kohl Center in terms of space, particularly at this time of year in this particular year.

People aren't going to concerts, so it's going to take something really special to get them to part with dough. Is this special? I don't think it's even that special to people who have Q106 and Star Country preset on their car radios. Whether this is real country or not, it's just not that compelling.

So as a taxpayer, I'm wondering how much of a bag the UW will be left holding if this thing bombs. And why is the Athletic Department in the position of having to hype this show when they have actual teams of student athletes (women's hockey, for instance) that are far more deserving of the attention and, frankly, entitled to the publicity on their website's home page.

OK, I need to make a list here.

1. Rascal Flatts has the 10th highest grossing tour of 2008. (They brought in $55.8 million.) If you look at who else is in that top ten and you compare tickets prices (for instance, how much more does it cost for two tickets to see Madonna or The Eagles), that is truly saying something. I'd argue that Rascal Flatts is one of the few groups that is "modern" and can draw like they can.

2. Yes, people that have Q106 and Star Country preset on their radios are excited about this show. I work at a country radio station based an hour outside Madison and those people are very, very excited about this show. Country Music fans travel far for this type of thing.

3. You're a taxpayer and you're convinced this will lose money - I can see that, but I don't think it will. Also - how much does that thing cost just sitting there? If the concert makes enough money just to maintain "operating costs" or whatever you call it when a stadium sits and is not used, is it worth it then? I'd be willing to bet that in the end they'll see profit from it.

4. harrissimo likes Rascal Flatts - you guys should let him enjoy them. He merits a salute for admitting it on here - I'm sure there are others that do too. (Not me, though there is a bunch of country that I really like.)

One more fact - Rascal Flatts sold out 58 of their 65 shows in 2008 according to Billboard. How much more of a sure thing should the UW be looking for? (I do see that Bon Jovi sold out all 99 shows last year.)

PS - Here are the figures I'm talking about - http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/yearend/2008/charts/top25-tours.shtml

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:Look, I don't care who actually likes Rascal Flats. I'm saying that there's no way in hell that band justifies the Kohl Center in terms of space, particularly at this time of year in this particular year.

Lame, eh? At least Rascal Flatts isn't on the internet bitching about music they don't like. I'm hard pressed to think of anything less productive than wasting time bitching about music you don't like.

It appears to be a Live Nation event: http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/401765

For the uninitiated, Live Nation is a concert promoter. More on concert promoters here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_promoter

Unless there's some business partnership set up between the UW and Live Nation to share expenses and (presumably) profits, I'm thinking the UW's going to be MAKING money that night (through venue fees and vending), NOT losing money.

Return to “Madison Music”