Whither Jazz?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Whither Jazz?

Postby harrissimo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:32 pm

I am prompted to post this by Jessica Steinhoff's article about Jazz in Madison.

Jazz is a fully evolved genre. What I mean by that is that there is nothing new being done in jazz. There is really nowhere for jazz to go as far as new territory. Hence, it is "fully evolved". It is a museum genre. I don't mean this in a bad way. There is still a lot to be enjoyed in listening to jazz. But the real creative innovative music is being done in other genres. What we call jazz is often "lounge" or "cocktail" music played in hotel bars and sunday brunches. The "free" jazz thing alienates most people and has never been commercially viable and some would argue it is not artistically viable either.

I believe there will always be a market for jazz but it will suffer the same problems that classical music has: it will be subsidized. In fact, if you look at the performance schedules of major jazz performers, many of their gigs are subsidized festivals, university events and other non-profit type of events. It is very difficult for jazz to sustain itself economically on its own.

Please don't get me wrong. I love jazz and it will be a part of me forever. But the most exciting things I'm doing right now musically is with punk and rock musicians. While they may lack formal training, it is their ignorance of the rules that enables them to come up with new things even if they don't really understand what they are doing.

admin
Forum Addict

Re: Whither Jazz?

Postby admin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Bigote

Re: Whither Jazz?

Postby Bigote » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Return to “Madison Music”