house/basement shows?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
sule
Forum Addict

house/basement shows?

Postby sule » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:20 pm

hey there.
i'm wondering who puts on house shows around madison? i would myself, but neither me or my bandmate owns or rents a house.
you can contact me via email or this thread.
heather
babasule@charter.net

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Re: house/basement shows?

Postby benfury » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:20 pm

here is some info:

dont let the isthums (more importantly rich albertoni) know what you are up to if you plan on having basement/underground shows. this includes not posting shows on the hype exchange.

see May 19, 2006 edition.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm

benfury wrote:here is some info:

dont let the isthums (more importantly rich albertoni) know what you are up to if you plan on having basement/underground shows. this includes not posting shows on the hype exchange.

bam!

sule
Forum Addict

Postby sule » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 pm

i would'nt let snitch albertoni know about any house shows for sheez......

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Not entirely true. The Isthmus has never brought up fire codes and possible drinking violations at house shows that focus on alt country, folk and other associated forms of "dad rock". It's just the local punk/metal/hardcore scene that got singled out for the shit end of the stick a couple years back. Not coincidentally a scene that Isthmus writers and staff are quite out of touch with.

Also see the song "Slayed By the Paper" off Dead End Reject's Endless Session CD that came out last year. It is on the jukebox at the Frequency and I think at the Wisco too.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Jesus.

You tweens really need to let that shit go.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:

Not entirely true. The Isthmus has never brought up fire codes and possible drinking violations at house shows that focus on alt country, folk and other associated forms of "dad rock". It's just the local punk/metal/hardcore scene that got singled out for the shit end of the stick a couple years back. Not coincidentally a scene that Isthmus writers and staff are quite out of touch with.

Also see the song "Slayed By the Paper" off Dead End Reject's Endless Session CD that came out last year. It is on the jukebox at the Frequency and I think at the Wisco too.

charlie - are you referring to Kiki's House of Righteous Music? Or Pat Gallagher's basement?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Says the dude that uses a resource the Isthmus provides to hype his own shows. Sure, they aren't basement shows, yet you are still utilizing the resources here.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:17 pm

juanton wrote:

Says the dude that uses a resource the Isthmus provides to hype his own shows. Sure, they aren't basement shows, yet you are still utilizing the resources here.

Yeah me too. That does not mean I view this entity that runs this message board with respect like the Electrical Audio board that we both frequent too, Jon. I can be banned if that statement makes TDP admin uncomfortable.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:23 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote: I can be banned if that makes the admin uncomfortable.

?

Aw man, I just like to whine about the whining, call it meta whining.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

juanton wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote: I can be banned if that makes the admin uncomfortable.

?

Aw man, I just like to whine about the whining, call it meta whining.

I know. You're a sophisticated motherfucker like that. And I obviously mean that with love.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 pm

LoopBo wrote:charlie - are you referring to Kiki's House of Righteous Music? Or Pat Gallagher's basement?

I'm referring to three articles that appeared in the Isthmus in the 2000's about house shows and the bias evidenced depending on genre the venues hosted. There were two very positive articles published about home hosted music events that catered to rootsy, acoustic and lite rock tastes. One was specifically about Kiki's house and the other reported on a number individuals who hosted house shows in mostly non-rock genres. Those two articles were glowing fluff pieces.

In contrast to the sensationalist Isthmus cover story that forced the Madison fire marshall to order Mierde Verde closed 8 days after the issue came out. In addition to causing a house show crack down that following summer that was selectively enforced against punk houses. I have never known a Wisconsin media entity to singlehandely piss off more people in the punk scene and I've been here a while.

I don't know Pat Gallagher, but I do know Kiki. She is a passionate music fan who gets busy making shit happen. She has my respect and she is a friend. I don't mean to drag her good name into this as she has no say how her venue/house would get portrayed in the press and treated by the authorities versus another noncommercial venue getting completely screwed.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:26 am

First off, punk/rock shows at homes are more likely to be loud enough to get neighborhood attention than acoustic/low-volume electric "dad rock" shows.

Secondly, Mierde Verde was hosting regular shows as a quasi-commercial establishment, and was bound to get more scrutiny because of this, even if unannounced. Sure, the Isthmus article blew their cover in a big way, but really, if they continued regular "business", it was bound to happen eventually.

Does this excuse packed folk/whatever house concerts that are below code? Of course not, but those happen less frequently, generally are quieter, with an older crowd (i.e., not as many underage drinkers or idiots pissing on neighbors' cars) and won't attract authorities nearly as often.

All of this said, if you advertise publicly (including a listing with this paper), you're implicitly inviting the public, and need to be prepared to deal with those kinds of regulations.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:
LoopBo wrote:charlie - are you referring to Kiki's House of Righteous Music? Or Pat Gallagher's basement?

I'm referring to three articles that appeared in the Isthmus in the 2000's about house shows and the bias evidenced depending on genre the venues hosted. There were two very positive articles published about home hosted music events that catered to rootsy, acoustic and lite rock tastes. One was specifically about Kiki's house and the other reported on a number individuals who hosted house shows in mostly non-rock genres. Those two articles were glowing fluff pieces.

In contrast to the sensationalist Isthmus cover story that forced the Madison fire marshall to order Mierde Verde closed 8 days after the issue came out. In addition to causing a house show crack down that following summer that was selectively enforced against punk houses. I have never known a Wisconsin media entity to singlehandely piss off more people in the punk scene and I've been here a while.

I don't know Pat Gallagher, but I do know Kiki. She is a passionate music fan who gets busy making shit happen. She has my respect and she is a friend. I don't mean to drag her good name into this as she has no say how her venue/house would get portrayed in the press and treated by the authorities versus another noncommercial venue getting completely screwed.

I feel ya.

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 pm

ilikebeans wrote:First off, punk/rock shows at homes are more likely to be loud enough to get neighborhood attention than acoustic/low-volume electric "dad rock" shows.

I disagree because-
1. The Meirde Verde was in a nonresidential zone.
2. It is a sweeping generalization that does not measure up to my experience of listening to loud alt. country/rock bands and punk acoustic shows

ilikebeans wrote:Secondly, Mierde Verde was hosting regular shows as a quasi-commercial establishment, and was bound to get more scrutiny because of this, even if unannounced. Sure, the Isthmus article blew their cover in a big way, but really, if they continued regular "business", it was bound to happen eventually.

Besides the the slippery slope logical fallacy here, I think calling the Mierde Verde a "quasi-commercial establishment" is a bit contradictory and a bit of a stretch. They didn't sell anything. Sure, they collected money for the bands and they may have kept some of the proceeds to help with the rent of their practice space. However,that is on par with just about any house or apartment party in Madison. If they had simply set up the P.A. speakers to play Jock Jams and charged the under 21 crowd $10 bucks to supply them with all the cheap beer they could vomit, there probably never would have been an Isthmus story about it. Unfortunately for the Mierde Verde, they had punk bands. That is why many people became alienated by the Isthmus when they ran the Mierde Verde story on the front page.

Return to “Madison Music”