Concourse jazz jam dead

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Concourse jazz jam dead

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 pm

HeyZeus wrote:So, bunny chow is wrong . . . it wasn't the smoking ban.

I'm not so sure. Have you ever looked up at the ceiling tile in that place?

Have you ever tried to go out for a smoke there after the smoking ban?

Have you ever tried to fill out a customer survey while listening to jazz?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:58 pm

I think it would be best to have at least one Jazz Jam if only for profiling purposes.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:

I'm not so sure. Have you ever looked up at the ceiling tile in that place?

Have you ever tried to fill out a customer survey while listening to jazz?

Uh, you're trying to argue it's tough to step outside the hotel for a smoke? Wtf are you smoking?

The reality is that they're probably going to do better business as a sports bar. Sad, but true. Many a time I've seen bands get ignored while there's an "important" game on. It's also quite obvious to see the room turn more jazz-disinterested after the weddings and conventions let out on weekend nights and the drunks come in looking for a nightcap.

So hey, enjoy your new flatscreens and mozz sticks. Hopefully the other remaining jazz venues can pick up the slack.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:

Uh, you're trying to argue it's tough to step outside the hotel for a smoke? Wtf are you smoking?

Have you? At the Concourse Jazz jam?

El Chifa

Postby El Chifa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:Have you ever tried to go out for a smoke there after the smoking ban?

Have you? At the Concourse Jazz jam?

I know plenty of smokers who still attended the jazz jam because they loved the music. On a weekly basis. And they ordered drinks. And they stepped outside for a smoke.

The smoking ban is not relevant to this topic.

The new Concourse sports bar will be filled to capacity with smokers and non-smokers. They will bring in more money than the jazz fans. Jazz fans don't drink like football fans. The Concourse understands this. And in this battered economy, the dollar is the only thing that matters.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 am

I look forward to visiting that bar on a Wednesday night in February, when all relevant sports seasons (except basketball) are done. I guarantee that the only sound will be televisions and chirping crickets, just like the bar at the Inn on the Park. If the hotel thinks that your average Madison resident is going to come in off the street (when the bar isn't even visible from the street), they are in for a rude awakening-especially on nights when the hotel is not filled.

Just for the record, Wednesday night (the New Breed jam session) was their most profitable live music night during most of the band's seven year tenure.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:52 am

El Chifa wrote:I know plenty of smokers who still attended the jazz jam because they loved the music. On a weekly basis. And they ordered drinks. And they stepped outside for a smoke.

The smoking ban is not relevant to this topic.

Did they get harrassed by the cops? Or by worse? Vagrants, some thugs? Did they get temporary hearing damage for having to smoke next to loud idling buses? Face it, stepping out for a smoke at that venue sucked.

I wouldn't say anyone loved the Concourse jazz jam, but that calamari appetizer was to die for.

Cigarettes and live jazz jams go together. Smoking bans kill live music genres. b'bye jazz, it was good to know ya.

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Can someone please explain the following...

It might be rather alarming to all the classical musicians who perform at Overture Hall to know that in 2010 they will be out of work, and the venue will become Wisconsin’s largest sports bar, with over fifty widescreen TVs.

...is this a joke? I'm just asking because it's total BS.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:Did they get harrassed by the cops? Or by worse? Vagrants, some thugs? Did they get temporary hearing damage for having to smoke next to loud idling buses? Face it, stepping out for a smoke at that venue sucked.

Gotta hand it to you Bunny, you've got that exaggerating thing down pat.

If the buses were seriously that bad, you could not walk around the corner?

Sounds to me you just like to complain.

Just because one jam "jam session" ends it certainly does not mean the end of an entire genre.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Did they get harrassed by the cops? Or by worse? Vagrants, some thugs? Did they get temporary hearing damage for having to smoke next to loud idling buses? Face it, stepping out for a smoke at that venue sucked.

Sounds like your entire argument here is based on your distaste for stepping outside to smoke there. Has this been echoed by anyone who isn't a whiny bitchy little asshat? I love you continue to project your personal distaste for something as outright fact. Look at the Obama thing. He peed on your uncle's rug one time 30 years ago and the rest of us are supposed to feel just as you do because of it? You're a brainless waste of forum real estate.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:12 pm

eriedasch wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:Did they get harrassed by the cops? Or by worse? Vagrants, some thugs? Did they get temporary hearing damage for having to smoke next to loud idling buses? Face it, stepping out for a smoke at that venue sucked.

Gotta hand it to you Bunny, you've got that exaggerating thing down pat.

If the buses were seriously that bad, you could not walk around the corner?

Sounds to me you just like to complain.

Just because one jam "jam session" ends it certainly does not mean the end of an entire genre.

Not really exaggerating. Check the police reports. Smokers are getting robbed. Walk around the corner? A woman? Alone? Are you nuts?

Anyone who knows shit knows the CJJ died because Cal did. He woulda kept the thing going smoking ban or not.

Jazz evolved with a lot of smoke. Sure you can play jazz in a smokeless environment but you sure can't create it that way.

If anyone knows anyone involved in the remodeling, I sincerely encourage you to carefully take down those ceiling tiles and store them away. 40 or 50 years from now they will be museum relics.

Mildred Machiavelli

Postby Mildred Machiavelli » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Wanna know what kills most jazz venues? Their patrons don't fuckin' drink enough. Seriously! While rock clubs and sports bars can depend on oceans of beer to be flowing over the bar and cash flowing back, the typical jazz grotto will be filled with customers who will nurse one gin & tonic all night and then complain there were too many ice cubes.

While I support the idea of a profitable jazz club on every corner, the reality is that those kinda grooves don't sell the suds. The King Club was conceived as a jazz club, with a great huge shot of Ella on the wall, but it soon succumbed to the marketplace and became largely a rock club. I know there have been other local examples of well-meaning jazz clubs that couldn't cut it, but they don't spring to mind right now.

Insert your own quote here about how those who work the less traveled edges of creativity tend to toil in poverty.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:Jazz evolved with a lot of smoke. Sure you can play jazz in a smokeless environment but you sure can't create it that way.

Speaking of a member of a local jazz group, having played years in both smoke and smokeless environments, I think I can authoritatively post the following:

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Jazz may have historically been born in smoke, but every night I come home and don't have to bury my clothes, or air out my instrument, case, and all my equipment is a good night. I breathe and play better, have more stamina throughout the night, and feel better the next day.

And hey, if you want to talk history, I suppose "jazz can't be created" without the musicians all high on weed or smack, right?

beesorry
Forum Addict

Postby beesorry » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:20 am

Look this is just my opinion but it seems to me Jazz musicians bear some of the responsibility here. Jazz musicians are notorious for not rehearsing together. They go to gigs with the "real book" tucked under their arm and hope that all circumstances and chemistry are lucky and will lead to inspired music from playing the same old tired standards. How is this different than your average blues rock band playing Mustang Sally for the 4 gazzilionth time? Yes the jazz changes are more complex and show how good the musicians "chops" are but at least their audience is dancing! Lets face it MOST jazz fans in this town are other jazz musicians who come to check out the chops of other jazz musicians to feel superiour or get their butts kicked into practicing .Jazz started out as dance music not the intellectal university book fodder it has become.
Yes I know their are exceptions to the broad brush I am painting with here but art starts dying when it stops growing. Just ask Miles who was trying to update the jazz concept later in his life and never was really accepted as playing jazz at the end by the jazz police. Jazz is stuck and needs a kick in the butt to create a new form that does not include the Real Book. When the ultimate in jazz drumming appears to the listener to be how undancable the drummer can make the beat its not likely to draw patrons to drink beer and have a good time.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 am

Let me wrap this up. This was a "jam", which means that yes, it was a somewhat unrehearsed bunch of people playing together.

Let's not turn this in to a referendum on jazz - let's just agree that the Concourse decided it was more profitable to ditch the jazzing.

Here are perhaps some good questions for a new thread...

* Is Jazz profitable? Well, no - it's even less profitable than rock, especially when we're talking about time/money invested in "learning the trade".

* Is Jazz good/bad? Well, that's just a matter of taste. According to my own taste, there is some jazz that is awesome.

* Am I in a jazz band? No.

* Do jazz sincerests get worked up about jazz? - Yes! (It's pretty much a dying popular medium - if you spent 5+ years working on math and then heard "no one likes math, get a job hippie", wouldn't you turn in to an internet crank like harrissimo?)

* What types of jazz will always be popular? - The danceable kinds. That shit can kill.

Perhaps a better question is, why is polka still fairly profitable?

Return to “Madison Music”