opening for a christian rock band- any suggestions?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Re: opening for a christian rock band- any suggestions?

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:55 pm

As funny as I've found most of the replies thus far, you could also just get on with playing a solid set and steer clear of the passive-aggressive digs on their beliefs, which they're just as entitled to as you are to yours.

You're running a real risk of looking like bigger idiots than them, and you'd stand less of a chance of ruining any potential connection you might be able to establish with "their" crowd, who's money works just as well at the gas pump as anybody else's.

Yeah, I know, all fuddy-duddy; but, you asked.

Now if they get all aggressively holier-than-thou about shit, that's a different story and hit 'em with both barrels I say.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:17 pm

lil bunny fufu wrote:As funny as I've found most of the replies thus far, you could also just get on with playing a solid set and steer clear of the passive-aggressive digs on their beliefs, which they're just as entitled to as you are to yours.

Now if they get all aggressively holier-than-thou about shit, that's a different story and hit 'em with both barrels I say.

I'm pretty sure Scott is just having some fun and drumming up a little hype for the show with some good ol' fashioned forum snarkiness. Viva la forum!

Going out of your way to rip a billmate-that-you've-never-hung-out-with-before's entire belief system in an unfriendly way would be uncalled for. Like the fufu said, they're entitled. U-S-A!

And picking on those that need/enjoy their religious crutch is like shooting naive fish in a barrel of holy water.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
"What are you, retarded?"

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 pm

777. To Hell with the Devil.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:33 pm

The band is Rex Lex, yes? They're from here. They won a 2004 Madison Area Music Award for, if memory serves, best new artist. They were the best-dressed people there that night. (Curiously, their nod doesn't appear in the otherwise comprehensive-looking MAMAs archive.)

My impulse would be to live and let live. Or if the ideology is truly abhorrent to you, be true to your beliefs and cancel.

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 pm

supaunknown wrote: And picking on those that need/enjoy their religious crutch is like shooting naive fish in a barrel of holy water.

Amen. :)

Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm

Indeed, I'm just tring to have a little fun here. As I mentioned before, at the show we will be respectful, polite, nice, and la-de-da.

Actually, I listened to the other band's songs, and they were pretty darned good. I can take or leave the religious message, but respect their songwriting ability and sound.

Yes, perhaps I was a bit harsh... but If this post perhaps brings a few more people through the door, all the better.

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:13 pm

Scott wrote:Indeed, I'm just tring to have a little fun here. As I mentioned before, at the show we will be respectful, polite, nice, and la-de-da.

Actually, I listened to the other band's songs, and they were pretty darned good. I can take or leave the religious message, but respect their songwriting ability and sound.

Yes, perhaps I was a bit harsh... but If this post perhaps brings a few more people through the door, all the better.

All good here, Scott.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Scott wrote:Indeed, I'm just tring to have a little fun here. As I mentioned before, at the show we will be respectful, polite, nice, and la-de-da.

That to me to thinking about mainstream bands that have had a spiritual message... Some were better when they were less spiritual (Kansas) some were better when they were more spiritual (King's X, U2). Or maybe they all were just better when they were younger, like every other band.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:58 am

I think you should call their bluff and ask them to join your band in a "group prayer" before the show.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:49 pm

eriedasch wrote:I think you should call their bluff and ask them to join your band in a "group prayer" before the show.

"Oh Heavenly Father, please help your faithful servants rock the house tonight. We're your devoted messengers oh Lord. Please let there be plentiful tee shirt, CD, bumper sticker, and keychain sales so that we may continue to spread the Good News. May you give the power to Shane, our bass player, so that he doesn't fuck up the bridge on 'Heaven's Helpers'. Oh Lord hear our prayer! Amen."

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm

supaunknown wrote:"Oh Heavenly Father, please help your faithful servants rock the house tonight. We're your devoted messengers oh Lord. Please let there be plentiful tee shirt, CD, bumper sticker, and keychain sales so that we may continue to spread the Good News. May you give the power to Shane, our bass player, so that he doesn't fuck up the bridge on 'Heaven's Helpers'. Oh Lord hear our prayer! Amen."

that's funny shit right there

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:29 am

DONT FEAR THE REAPER!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 am

How'd it go?

Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:46 pm

It was a wild, careening whirling dervish of a gig, from what i remember... a kaleidoscopic cacaphony of vivid colors, sounds and um.. smells .. that still makes my brain lurch with pure glee. Or is that a hangover?

Superman Curl were great fun, really liked their "You're gonna Miss Me".

As for Rex Lex- they just did a short duo thing, no bass or drums.

The lead guy- he said his name is Bo- is a very talented singer with a distinctive high voice. Of all of the performers I've seen around Madison (and it's been quite a few) , he was the one that I think could truly break through into the American Idle/mainstream market. Seriously. It may not be your cup of tea, but there's no getting around the fact that the guy has the voice, charisma and looks to make it out of here. Some manager should sign that guy up, subdue the overtly religious references, and make a million bucks.

Of course, the Cutouts could make someone a million bucks too... aw, who the hell am I kidding?

Anyhow- thanks to everyone that posted!

Return to “Madison Music”